Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

1985 yairi D48 acoustic is smashed. Should I buy it?

Barandine Vondenger

i have this budd that wishes to sell me that axe i described in the header. 1985 yairi D48 acoustic. . it's been stomped and the top is cracked. .

Does anyone know where i may try to find any info on this axe?

I have looked many places yet cannot find any info on this axe.

I may wish to send it back to the factory to be repaired. is it worth it?

Thanks.

Frank Ranklin and the Ranktones

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

FRANKIE RANKLIN (Stanky Franks) <<<

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is so sad...I love Kazuo Yairi's guitars.

Kazuo Yairi is the Japanese luthier that builds 'em and markets them through Alvarez. I have yet to play a bad one.

You might want to take it to a luthier and find out about repair, would it be worth it?

But they're handmade, top notch guitars IMO.

Try this link for info...

http://www.alvarezgtr.com/

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Yairis are beautiful. I've got a DY51 that I'll never part with. Dark Western Red Cedar top, very heavily figured Burled Mahogany back and sides and headstock overlay. Awesome sound, especially considering that it cost less than $450.00 new in '85, with tax.

Yairis have a lifetime warranty; if your friend is the original registered owner, he might be able to get a good deal on a top-notch repair by their outfit that handles these things in St. Louis, MO. (I know that getting smashed isn't covered by the warranty, but they might accept it for a repair job, who knows, and they seemed like cool and very reasonable folks when I dealt with them.) Have him go to an authorized Alvarez-Yairi dealer for more info.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Even smashed up and cracked(right where your right elbow would go) this axe sounds sweet.

Only it ain't real BOOMY. does'nt PROJECT as it should. This axe has a delicate, even tone only it is subdued somehow.

My budd has two and the other one is bright and boomy.

I have been reading a bit and it seems that this axe, 1985 D48, may have been a laminate job?

I hope not.

where could I go to get the facts on YAIRI guitars? mainly the "85" for now yet this axe maker seems woefully under appreciated.

i am gonna get me a couple I'm sure.

who would have the definitive info i am seeking?

Who has a blue book?

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

I used to have a DY56... it was a mahogany back /sides with a spruce top. Cool guitar - played nice and sounded pretty cool, but it wasn't all that loud. That has been fairly typical of some of the Yairi's I've played over the years... so if you're looking for big and boomy, you might want to look elsewhere. The Yairi's are normally fairly balanced in tone. They're good guitars, and if you can get the top repaired (tricky job) and the price is right, then go for it.

Thanks for sharing Phil!

The D48 does not have a Y in the number. just a D and the number 48. it is got kuzuo on a scrap of paper inside the axe.

I'm sure the D stands for dreadnought.

On the other axes the higher the number the more ornate and expensive.

say a 100 is high end and the 07 is low end I may have a middle of the road axe. 48.

still balanced and very playable .

I have been blessed to play some of the finest instuments in the world(in my opine ahaha) and i will say that this axe plays as well as any of them.

the sweet tone is subdued and delicate while rich in timbre and texture. this guitar has natural sustain and even cracked it just rings and rings, although subdued in voice compared to the cutaway model which is bright and boomy.

the cut away is koa back and sides with a figured maple top

the D48 is traditional looking but as to wood involved I'm stumped? a maple top i'm sure maybe not, but what?

Whan i have it retopped I will ask that they take into account the eighteen or so years extra aging.

I know the rich tone will suffer as a result of changing the top out.

Has anyone ever done this?

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

Archived