Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"mahoganni" Mahogany

Dave da Dude

In my quest for the "perfect" guitar (and body wood), I was looking over the ReRanch (dot com) instructions on dying mahogany.

In it they mention the "old" original "Honduras Mahogany" that Gibson used in the first SG's and LP's as having the scientific name "mahoganni". They say that nowadays the "Honduras Mahogany" is really from Brazil and the scientific name is "swietenia".

ReRanch goes on to say that the old "mahoganni" was much darker and was much more difficult to get to "take" the dye color when dyed, with the new "swietenia" taking the color much more so, hence the whole discussion.

The "mahoganni" is now very rare (think endangered species). Since most of the existing supply of "mahoganni" is already in guitar bodies or furniture, it is also very expensive, IF you can find it. Therein lies my dilema.

Has anyone run accross a source for the "real" "Honduras (from Honduras) Mahogany?

If not, I may have to attack our "antique" Queen Anne style Mahogany drop leaf table. Do you think the wife would notice if I took the leaf against the wall, and maybe ...... ? :evil:

Dave the Quixote

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you already identified and confirmed that the table is indeed of the species Mahoganni?

Do you believe that this table-top has aesthetically pleasing acoustic properties, and has both the quality and quantity necesary to its inclusion in the assembly and realization of the bitchin' vintage-stylee axe-of-your-dreams? ;):D

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Caevan,

Have you already identified and confirmed that the table is indeed of the species Mahoganni?
No. Do you know how to do it?

Do you believe that this table-top has aesthetically pleasing acoustic properties, and has both the quality and quantity necesary to its inclusion in the assembly and realization of the bitchin' vintage-stylee axe-of-your-dreams?
I believe. I believe! :freak: BUT, only actually building a guit out of it will PROVE it! :cool:

I need it. I want it. I HAVE to have it. :D

"Slowly he turned. Step by step .... "

Originally posted by Dave th Dude:

"Caevan,"

"No. Do you know how to do it?"
Nope! :D

I figure, tap on it, put your ear on it and tap on it again some, and listen. If it seems to sound good, use it! If there's enough of it. And you won't incur the wrath of your better half!

Caevan,

I figure, tap on it, put your ear on it and tap on it again some, and listen. If it seems to sound good, use it! If there's enough of it.
Sounds good. Kinda' full and round, which is surprising, since the table is square. :D The legs are 2 x 2 at the top and have 24 1/2" of usable length. Perfect for a neck and I could make it either a Fender or Gibson length.

And you won't incur the wrath of your better half!
Aye, there's the rub. The leaf (for the multiple piece body) isn't a problem. She'll never notice it's missing. We never use it. But, without the leg, I don't know if it will still stand up. Maybe a mahogany stained pine prothesis .... :rolleyes:

Dave

PS - Does anyone have any sources for rare tropical woods? Remember the original purpose of this thread?

Here's a few links that oughtta keep you busy for a while...

Luthier\'s Mercantile

Georgia Hardwoods

Stewart MacDonald

For finishing necks, "Bastid E" of the Lowdown Low Down Bass Forum recommends Sutherland Welles Wiping Varnish polymerized tung-oil (sold here by Garrett Wade) . Probably best for woods that don't require filling, like maple and koa.

This looks like an interesting spot, though I haven't scoped it out in a long time... check out Project Guitar.com .

I've collected a ton of cool links from this Forum, so many that it's a chore to sift through them! Enjoy these, Dave (dude!) Best of luck!

Caeven,

Thanks for taking the time to look these up. I really appreciate it. My wife appreciates it, and my Mahogany Table thanks you. :D

The ProjectGuitar link led me to a ton, well actually maybe a coupla' dozen, of links for wood suppliers. I recognize some of them. I, like you, HAD a ton of links. Unfortunately my old computer is fubar, it runs, but the register is messed up, so I can only run it in DOS, so I can't get "My Favorites". Actually, I just realized that maybe I can, IF I can find the right directory. Ah well .....

Again, thank you very much. :wave:

Dave

Want me to try to PM you the whole, entire "Favorites" list that we have? You'd have to sort out what you didn't want- maybe some of the medical, religeous, silly joke-stuff, etc.; this is actually not just my own PC. But there's nothing really sleazy or anything like that (you know what I mean- do I have to use that buzz-word that begins with "p"?) and probably nothing you would be afraid to show your kids.

If you can use that, I've got tons and tons of links ferreted away there, mostly music/guitar/gear related and many that I've forgotten about, McAfee Virus-scanned. And many, like you found, lead to still more links. Many were gleaned and stashed for future reference from this very Forum and its members.

So if you want'em, I'll try to send'em, en masse via PM!

Caevan,

Want me to try to PM you the whole, entire "Favorites" list that we have?
That would be great! IF you don't mind, that is. You've already gone "above and beyond".

But, I do ".. need more ... input.", Number Five aka Johnny Five.

I found two very good sites for the tropical / rare woods. One even lists weights per ???? (I forgot the units) for all woods, and implies that the "real" mahogany is no longer available, but maybe I can approximate the density. That might be close? From what I've seen so far, African Mahogany might be closer than Honduras/Brazilian Mahogany.

Again, thank you VERY much for the leads / links. :thu::thu:

Dave

Winging its way Daveward, Dude!

DON'T say I didn't warn ya, there's enough here to choke a giant robot horse! Lots of sorting and sifting to do.

Enjoy!

Archived