Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Oscar Schmidt by Washburn?

Guitar Geezer

Just bout time I think I got it figured out (IBanez Artcore) I see this Oscar Schmidt 335 for $179

And I thought I had seen almost all of the Cheap Overseas brands ;)

Anyone ever seen one in real life?

(Not too keen on the bolt on neck)

And is Washburn really involved with it?

Just Wondering

Lynn G

http://www.teamtatham.com/lynntest/girl156.gif

Lynn G

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a great price if the axe doesn't suck.

I've been looking for a semi-hollow, and the Artcore has been on my list (although I still haven't seen one in person); I'm also considering the Hamer Echotone. But I would love to hear more about this guitar first!

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Oscar Schmitt has been part of Washburn for a long time. Mostly sell inexpensive educational instruments to schools and the like. It was an on going battle between the Washburn crew and the Oscar Schmitt crew as to what instruments should be available to each brand. Certain finish's weren't allowed to be sold as Oscar Schmitt, only Washburn. Of course when Samick came out with there own brand name in kind of blew the lid off of that. Samick's factories were building most of the instruments as OEM projects. Now Washburn/ Oscar Schmitt are building elsewhere, the one you asking about I'm guessing is built in Indonesia, the new "cheap" place to build. Probably decent for the money.

Cheap guitars today are light years better than cheap guitars of ten years ago.

overheard street personality on Venice Beach "Man, that Bullshit is Bulllshhittt...."

It's funny, it's sad, it's reality...I think half of the music industry worked at Washburn one time or another. The whole industry is like a whirlpool of the same people revolving around from company to company. I try and work at places who's gear I need in my studio :D
overheard street personality on Venice Beach "Man, that Bullshit is Bulllshhittt...."

Originally posted by dougsthang':

It's funny, it's sad, it's reality...I think half of the music industry worked at Washburn one time or another. The whole industry is like a whirlpool of the same people revolving around from company to company. :D

Yeah, pretty much the same in the Graphics Art / Printing / Retail Adv Biz :rolleyes:

Lynn G

Lynn G

I still regret not buying the marked down Washburn 335 style that I saw a year ago. I forget the mark down, but it was something like what you're looking at.

I think it was the next model "up" and Washburn brand, because I think the sale price was around $500. It was a real sweet playing guitar and I would think that the one you're looking at would be too.

Doug's right, the "cheap" guitars are a LOT better than they used to be.

I'm not the best person to ask about impulse buying of major guitar gear. I've done it seven times in the last twenty years (five guitars and two amps). :D

My wife's motto is "When the going gets tough, the tough go to the beach." Mine is "When the going gets tough, buy a guitar." :rolleyes:

That being said, GO FOR IT!! :cool::thu:

Dave

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Originally posted by lynng - guitar geezer:

Originally posted by dougsthang':

It's funny, it's sad, it's reality...I think half of the music industry worked at Washburn one time or another. The whole industry is like a whirlpool of the same people revolving around from company to company. :D

Yeah, pretty much the same in the Graphics Art / Printing / Retail Adv Biz :rolleyes:

Lynn G

Ditto in theatre.

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

My wife has an Oscar Schmidt accoustic. It's Ok, plays well, but dosen't have much tone. It seems to be well put together and the tuning machines are fine.

Also, the job merry-go-round happens in commercial irrigation as well. Every spring you have to see who is working for who.

"It's better to wear out than to rust out!"

I've played a couple of those OS's recently and thought that the neck felt pretty nice. I didn't pay any attention to details though because I could tell there was no tone and therefore I didn't need to add it to my pile-o-gear. If I needed a stage guitar that might die an ugly death I'd happily play the one I tried out though. It was pretty inexpensive and played nicely.

If I only had $200 and no other guitar to play, I'd consider buying it.

Hey you white boy there

Go play that funky music

"ok...what's it pay?"

first smoke, then silence

your very expensive rig

dies so gracefully

Not to divert of topic of the post but the job thing has me thinking.

It seem's to cross all industries, it's who you know...

I have a degrees in Music and Business but when you get down to it I'm not sure if that really matters. In the long run it's experience and contacts. Every step upward I've taken is from an inside scope...so and so is looking for a new sales manager...thank god I'm in an industry that I enjoy. I actually laugh sometimes that my gig is to travel around the country going to all different music stores selling music gear....and I get paid to do it....

Just my two cents. I have an OS acoustic that I paid $99 Canadian for (about $75 USD). New it sells here for about $169.

For me its a great guitar. It's no Martin, but hey, for $99 it's well worth it. Decent tone, good tuners, and nice feeling neck.

For $179, the one you're looking at is probably a great deal.

• 2 months later...

(From another thread)

Originally posted by antimatter:

I'm looking at getting one of those Ibanez Artcore guitars.

I'm hoping the Ibanez has a good Blues tone.

Just got an AFS75T about a month ago...and I REALLY like it. Very nice tones!

I am in love with this guitar…has a lot of personality. The big Bigsby style whammy bar is not to bad either…

I'm actuarially planning on getting another Artcore in the next few weeks!

I want one that has a thicker body...since the AFS75T is only about 1.25"

I'm down to one of the newer Artcore additions like the AF75D or the AG85 or the AF85...these are all about 2.75" thick.

What I really want is the AF75D in Turquoise...but here in the USA...they only have it in Orange (which is also nice). If you look on the Japanese web site...they come in Orange, Turquoise and a nice Baby Blue!!!

Very R&R !

My next choice is the AG85...which has the thickness, but the body is a little smaller...and it has that HOT figured Red Bubinga(?) finish...VERY HOT…this will probably be the one I get in lieu of a Turquoise AF75D. ;)

Finally...the AF85 is full-hollow, full body...very jazzy looking with the flame maple violin finish…very sweet looking guitar.

One of these will soon be joining my AFS75T!!! :D

Another VERY CHEAP...but quite nice guitar...is the Oscar Schmidt by Wasburn "335" style.

Same time I got my Artcore, I picked up a black one of these OS guitars from Musician's Friend for…$150!!!

In about a month...they will be getting more of them...and in other colors too…Cherry and Classic Sunburst.

I'm thinking of getting another one…in Cherry…JUST because it's an unbelievable price for a very nice little guitar.

Hey...it's not a Gibson...but…$150!!!

The finish is quite nice w/body binding...it has BIG FAT JUMBO FRETS… and the pickups are not too bad, though without any additional outboard gear…they don't have a lot of good tones…but there are 2-3 combinations that do sound nice.

BUT…through my original Tech-21 box…this $150 baby screamed…and all kinds of nice tones came out.

I might even get a second one just so I can set it up for slide-only use! :cool:

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Well, it does seem that thanks to CAM, you can count on a certain degree of quality in even cheap guitars. Why make junk when it doesn't cost any more to make something half-decent? Besides, all the mass-market low-buck guitars seem to come from just a couple Pacific-rim factories, so "brand" is about as significant as the color of the price tag.

However, I *do* remember the Oscar-Schmidts of 8 or more years ago as being decidedly inferior to similar Washburns, or Sigma's, etc. Crappy tuners, lifting bridges, seams separating.

No doubt that's all history now! ;)

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

I've got one of the $150 335 clones and like it alot for the money. It plays very well. The only problem so far has been the tune-o-matic bridge wanted to self adjust lower on the treble side. A little fingernail polish on the threads below the adjustment nut solved that.

I would like to put mellower pickups in it though.

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken...

Originally posted by Sylver:

Originally posted by Dave th Dude:

"When the going gets tough, buy a guitar." :rolleyes:

Dang, I just got a hangnail! When do the new Fenders arrive?
LOL!

(Coffee on the keyboard again...)

:D

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Originally posted by Dawill:

...the tune-o-matic bridge wanted to self adjust lower on the treble side. A little fingernail polish on the threads below the adjustment nut solved that.

I would like to put mellower pickups in it though.

Hmmm...what do you mean it wanted to..."self adjust"...?

How was that happening?

Also, you think the pick-ups are too hot?

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

The wide adjusting nut that the bridge assy rests on wanted to move along the threads toward the guitar. It just turned too easily I guess. No problem since the nail polish trick though.

The pickups are kind of agressive sounding, even when lowered. Not necessarily too hot but the tone isn't quite what I'm after. I have a couple of Les Pauls with humbuckers and am quite pleased with their sound. I guess I'm just wanting a more vintage sound out of this.

Any suggestions?

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken...

Archived