Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

CREAM....any thoughts?

Pretzel logic

I was just listening to "Were going wrong", and really had a clapton/Bruce moment. Started wondering if any of the "seasoned" folks ever saw CREAM in concert. What's your favorite album/song? Did anybody know that Jack Bruce almost died recently from liver failure? Let's talk about the original supergroup. :D

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don't know a lot of their songs, though some are among my favorites. "Badge","White Room", "Tales of Brave Ulysses"...

I hope that Mr. Bruce is recovering well, and continues to be on the mend there!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I read about Jack Bruce in Guitar Player. He almost died from surgery having a liver transplant. I guess he's ok now. CREAM is one of my biggest influence's. "Sleepy time time" and "Dance the night away" are such great song's, and not just for the guitar playing. They wrote the best songs, and their covers weren't to bad either. :D:cool:

Among my favorites: N.S.U., Sleepytime Time, I'm So Glad, Tales Of Brave Ulysses.

Was supposed to see them in '67 or '68; they cancelled. Finally got to see them at Madison Square Garden during their Farewell Tour. Good show but horrible sound. They played on a rotating stage with their amps and speakers rotating with them. The balance between guitar and bass was good about 10 out of every 360 degrees. Horrible!

P.S. Clapton was playing a sunburst reverse Firebird I.

Cream, and in particular Clapton's guitar playing in that band, is probably the single most important influence in my life.

"Crossroads" is one of my personal favorites from the live stuff, though I understand that Clapton's solos are comped from several choruses. I was a little disappointed to find that out because as it is on the record, those couple of choruses have to be about as close to perfect as anything I've ever heard in rock. But hey, it's not like he didn't actually play all that stuff...

I also have always held a special place in my heart for the live version of "Sitting On Top of the World" from Goodbye, in particular the fantastic break Clapton plays at the end.

Then there's "Those Were the Days" with its wonderful, albeit brief, solo that ends so magnificently...

... and on and on...

I liked Disraeli Gears from the first, and all the other stuff too. They were among the first to be tagged "Supergroup". Clapton is one of my more influential influences. The solo on "Outside Woman Blues" is IMHO exemplary.

Never saw them live, but I caught West Bruce & Laing which was very good, and when Jack started singing, it sent a chill through me - the voice of Cream, in the house!

PPPPPaul

[url=http://www.TiredIronBand.com

Fender Strat

Hamer Sunburst

Guild D-25

DeArmond Jetstar (Spel!)

Washburn HB-15C

Peavey C-30

blah blah ho hum etc etc

My favorite album, Disraeli Gears, great album. I like almost every cut. I've got to get the CD, all I have is a 12" diameter black vinyl disc with wrinkles in it.

My fav song? "Strange Brew". Also "Tales of Brave Ulysees", for the content as much as the guitar; "Sunshine of Your Love"; and "Swlabar" from Disraeli Gears.

From other albums, "White Room", "Spoonful" (even if it is a cover) and "Born Under a Bad Sign" (ditto, I like Albert King's rendition from 1966 too, even though I just "discovered" it).

Dave the Closet Cream / Clapton Fan

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Originally posted by sgstrat:

Among my favorites: N.S.U., Sleepytime Time, I'm So Glad, Tales Of Brave Ulysses.

Was supposed to see them in '67 or '68; they cancelled. Finally got to see them at Madison Square Garden during their Farewell Tour. Good show but horrible sound. They played on a rotating stage with their amps and speakers rotating with them. The balance between guitar and bass was good about 10 out of every 360 degrees. Horrible!

P.S. Clapton was playing a sunburst reverse Firebird I.

I, too, saw them in '68. At Detroit's now long-gone Olympia Stadium. They weren't rotating the stage, however, in spite of doing the set "in-the-round". We were sitting behind them, and Clapton wasn't coming in clear enough for me. Baker made up for it by outdoing his live recording of "Toad". From where I was sitting, short glimpses indicated Clapton was sporting an SG.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I've seen Clapton many times live, but never had to opportunity to see Cream except in the Farewell Concert film where they show mostly face shots and not enough of Eric's hands.

I spent countless hours playing along with Live Cream volumes one and two. "Steppin' Out" is an encyclopedia of electric blues licks, and his tone on "Sleep Time Time" had me for years trying to recreate it on totally wrong equipment (a Hondo Strat copy into a Peavey Classic VT).

My favorite song: "Deserted Cities of the Heart" (narrowly edging out Baker's "Pressed Rat and Warthog"!)

Saw Cream in early 68, the sound was not very good but the playing was fantastic. I was in awe of Clapton at the time (don't listen to him now). They had a water fight at the end when their manager threw a bucket of water on Jack Bruce, my friend worked at the venue ( a tent with a stage and seating for a few hundred people) and he was able to get us back stage after the show and we waited outside their dressing room for about an hour hoping they would come out. They never did but we could hear them inside, they were still having a water fight. Eventually their manager came out and grabed an umbrella that we had and then went back in to continue the fight. We never got the umbrella back but my friend ended up with one of Ginger Bakers rings. A night I'll never forget.

cream was my fav band back in the day, they came to a shithole local teen club that held maybe 2000 just after the release of disreali gears. I cut school and ditched my girlfriend to stand in line. Got in snaked my way up front, stood maybe 6 feet infront of Jack. my buddy did the same and he was right in front of clapton.

I was so close when jack blew the harp his spit fell on me and everyone around me. Great show, unbelievable playing. Jack played a gibby eb-3 bass and Eric played a reverse firebird I. I remember being disappointed that they didn't play more from fresh cream, but they just killed. Twin stacks of marshalls each, turned up full blast on a 15 x 25 stage. Good thing I wasn't infront of the pa columns or I'd really be deaf now.

Cream was always the band who started out with a groove, then everyone solo'd at the same time for a bit, seperately, and then altogether for a bit, then effortlessly and seamlessly drifting back into the groove. One of the best in heavy blues.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

really liked creams syle

my cream favorites are born under a bad sign, sunshine of your love, white room, Politician, crossroads, i feel free, and strange brew

anyone happen to have the Cream Farewell Concert Video? (i do) Its really funny when they interview Ginger Baker. The Man is crazy. its funny when they describe how he would practice when he started with cream. The narrirator says "On Creams first Tour, Ginger Baker practiced so intesefully that at every hotel he stayed at he left bills to pay for broken furniture." Baker says - "I used to just play solos all day..."

What a crazy bastard!

Oh yea - Someone said earlier that they went to that farewell concert. I'll drink to that

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by bluestrat:

Cream's cover of "Crossroads" is the best song they ever did. "Sunshine of your Love" and "White Room" would finish out the top three.

Once again, Blue and I are on the same track :wave:

But hey, it's not like he didn't actually play all that stuff...
LynnG
Lynn G

More than any other influence, Jack Bruce showed

me how to play that kind of bass that didn't need to stay on the root/five, but instead could provide awesome groove underneath the leads. For awhile before playing lead (and learning every friggin' lick Clapton played on Crossroads and Spoonful..) I played bass with some ass-kicking drummer. Doing that Jack Bruce thing and singing, we could have had ANY guitar player and it would have kicked major butt.

My hats off first to Jack Bruce. Ginger Baker, just so wonderfully responsive to the groove, louder than shit, and Clapton, who I followed from Bluesbreaker days.

Cream brought rock to every garage band like no other group could.

Ted Arbogast

Ted Arbogast

Studio Butte,

Terlingua TX

Originally posted by Ted Arbogast:

More than any other influence, Jack Bruce showed

me how to play that kind of bass that didn't need to stay on the root/five, but instead could provide awesome groove underneath the leads. For awhile before playing lead (and learning every friggin' lick Clapton played on Crossroads and Spoonful..) I played bass with some ass-kicking drummer. Doing that Jack Bruce thing and singing, we could have had ANY guitar player and it would have kicked major butt.

My hats off first to Jack Bruce. Ginger Baker, just so wonderfully responsive to the groove, louder than shit, and Clapton, who I followed from Bluesbreaker days.

Cream brought rock to every garage band like no other group could.

Ted Arbogast

VIVA Terlingua!!!!!!!!!!!!
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Hey Ted Arbogast:

Welcome to the Forum (from San Antonio)

Not many people actually Live in Terlingua ;)

Don't ya gotta go up to Fort Davis to find a Wal-Mart?????

And do you haul ass when the Chili Cookoff comes to town or do you rip-off the Newbies, sellin overpriced Alka Seltzer?

Just Funnin! Gotta make it back out there again - been too long:wave:

LynnG

Lynn G

Geezer,

yah, the locals try to stay out of the path of that circus they call chili cookoff. picture 6 to 8 thousand people coming down and they only rule they play by is: 1)past the border check staion there are no rules and 2) dying of acute tequila poisening aint a bad way to go. The problem for the locals is that this circus also brings down about eight 'sorillos' (spanish for skunks) aka the DPS. Those guys literally stop every fuckin driver cause they figure everybody

drives with *some* violation.

anyhoo, hey I gotta questoin: I have to bring my Tascam MS16 to get its motor looked at (I have a full recording studio here) Can you or someone find out who the best repair house is: Tascam gave me a list:

Alamo Music, Century Music, Sound Idea, Soundcom Electronics

any thoughts?

Also, hell come on down and let's jam..

Ted Arbogast

Studio Butte,

Terlingua TX

Sorry, guys, I detoured the thread.....

back to Cream: I never saw them live; when they

appeared on EdSullivan, I remember Jack and Eric were playing with their backs to the crowd. That was really cool! Even when Jim Morrison said those questionable words (I forget now) while singing on ES he was facing front...

Did Cream ever play on 'Hullabaloo' or the other TV dance/music shows?

Ted Arbogast

Studio Butte,

Terlingua TX

Ted

Re: the Tascam

Alamo is a mini chain - the Big store over on the NW side will probably be Good.

Know the guys at Century well (just got my Roland Cube there - Christmas Present)

Nice guys - don't know who does the Elec Repair though. You can prob email them

Century Music

Hope this helps :wave:

We now return control of this thread to your computer ;)

LynnG

Lynn G

saw 'em in '68

Clapton was playing his Firebird. The thing that impressed me the most was the fact he never seemed to look at his fretboard - he just had it MASTERED

awesome band, although I prefer the smoother bass tone of a P-Bass ...

I've also seen Clapton five or six times - once at the House of Blues, Hollywood...

"music heals"

Archived