Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ghia vs Pro Junior

michael c

I'm planning on getting a tube amp, strictly for studio use, before the year is up. I was using modeling software for the last few years, but recently used a 'real' tube amp for a session and couldn't believe the difference.

I have heard great things about the Carmen Ghia but was curious if it was a big improvement over the Fender Pro Junior? How much better are both of these amps vs a Boogie Maverick? I have one of those around the house as a practice amp.........

Thank you.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'm wondering what you don't like about the Maverick which has delegated it to a "practice amp."

That aside, what has worked for me, recording wise, is to have a fixed bias, class a/b amp and a cathode biased class a amp on hand. Most of the time if one amp doesn't suit the part, you can get what you need from the other amp. Since you already have a cathode biased class a amp which probably will give you the high gain, liquid lead tone that mesa amps do so well, I would look into a fixed bias, class a/b, lower gain amp which could do more crunchy tones and a different character of clean tones. Either a plexi, or a Tweed bassman/JTM45 type amplifier. The Dr Z Route 66 and KT 45 would probably be better foils for the Maverick than another EL-84 type amplifier. I would also look into the Komet 60, although it's quite a bit more money.

Originally posted by michael c:

I'm planning on getting a tube amp, strictly for studio use, before the year is up. I was using modeling software for the last few years, but recently used a 'real' tube amp for a session and couldn't believe the difference.

I have heard great things about the Carmen Ghia but was curious if it was a big improvement over the Fender Pro Junior? How much better are both of these amps vs a Boogie Maverick? I have one of those around the house as a practice amp.........

Thank you.

Michael,

I see you are in Los Angeles ....

Arrange to come over one weekend and you can see for yourself.

The Ghia has been around for a decade.

Think of the Ghia as a Lotus Super 7, and think of the Pro Junior as a Honda Civic.

They are VERY different amps. The Fender is grid biased to boot, not cathode biased, so yet another difference.

One is PTP and the other is mass produced PCB with mother board, daughter board, ribbon cables, etc.

They are both great amps, but in very different ways. The Ghia is much more articulate.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

michael c- Go to Myles' place, take him up on the invite; I wish I lived nearby, I'd have my own wing added to his house! :thu:

Myles111- Aw, whutt wood yoo no abowt dat? :P:D(N'yeah, jus' kiddin'... Myles knows!)

dave251- That's a real beaut in your avatar there! Nice work! I'd been wondering about you and those lately, how things were goin'...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by myles111:

Think of the Ghia as a Lotus Super 7, and think of the Pro Junior as a Honda Civic.

I'd say the Ghia is more like a Porche 911 Turbo and the Pro Jr. is a '65 Impala. :thu: Guess which I would prefer! :D

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

While its appreciated that there are marked differences between the two amps, its all in the playing once you get to the nut cutting. My point is that for the money, the Pro Jr smokes the other. If anybody can find a tube amp in that price range that sounds that good, I'd say buy it. If the Ghia sounds XX number of dollars better....go for it. For the record its around three times the price of a Jr.......I think. :)
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Originally posted by Geenard:

While its appreciated that there are marked differences between the two amps, its all in the playing once you get to the nut cutting. My point is that for the money, the Pro Jr smokes the other. If anybody can find a tube amp in that price range that sounds that good, I'd say buy it. If the Ghia sounds XX number of dollars better....go for it. For the record its around three times the price of a Jr.......I think. :)

Geenard..........

All good points .... I was just trying to say that they are very different amps and should not really be compared.

There are literally many feet of resistance in the front end of a blues jr, and a lot of components ... each aspect of these drops articulation and definition in any amp, as well as adding noise.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Archived