Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GT75 vs Vintage 30

nayr

I hear a lot about these speakers but not really much in the way of a tonal comparison. I managed to ebay me a nice dual rectifier head but I haven't even tried many cabs yet. I'm looking for something that won't let the bottom end get all muddy, and have some nice treble cutting power. What exactly are the differences between the GT75 and Vintage 30 (basically it's marshall cab v/s boogie cab)

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i have vintage 30's in my dg100 and i find the buggers can pump some serious low end( no farting) but i have an open back combo so to get tighter chunk i would need to close the back. i get different results from different guitars. when i had my godin SDxt i got way more crunch and plenty of highs. i think they are great all around speakers. i can't say what the g12t 75's are like, did you try harmony central user reviews?

H-C isn't very helpful, most of the reviewers don't say anything about what makes the speakers unique. I guess I am gonna have to break down and go to guitar center to a/b a mesa and a marshall cab or something.

One thing I did learn from the h-c user reviews is that quite a few people have had good results from combining the 2 speakers in an x configuration. Hmm

If you want tight bass with some treble cut, I think you'll like the Vintage 30. I use the horizontal 2x12 Rectifier (V30) cabinet with my dual rectifier, however before I bought it, I had purchased the Boogie vertical 2x12 (the black one with wire mesh grill). I'm not sure which speakers it had but it proved to be a horrible combination and proof as to why Mesa designed a new cabinet line to go with the amp. With the boogie cab there was an awful, extremely high frequency overtone which could not be dialed out.

The Vintage 30's have been good, however lately I've been feeling they color the sound a bit too much. I might be growing tired of their characteristic treble peak, so I'm thinking about replacing both or one with a G12H for a change of pace. Of course, in a 2x12 the wattage rating would drop. If you're looking for a 4x12, I would consider the G12H or a combination with Vintage 30's. I think Marshall makes a 4x12 loaded with the 25 watt Greenbacks which you might try, too. The rectifier cabinets have a very rich low end which you probably won't get with a Marshall vintage style cabinet.

Lastly, if you want to play clean, an open back cabinet will work a lot better with the dual rectifier. I suspect a lot of people who don't think the dual rectifer can do clean have only heard it with closed back, celestion cabs.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

Thanks for the suggestions. Right now after I actually find a V30 cab to try out, I am thinking about the Carvin legacy cab. It costs almost the same amount of money as just the 4 speakers, and everybody says they're really well built. I don't think I would want to go all GT75 so this cab is cheap enough that I could add 2 of them if I found the V30s a little too dark.

The cabinet that the speakers are mounted in has a lot to do with the overall sound in the end; so comparing a Marshall cab with V30's to a Mesa cab with GT75's would be kinda pointless, as far as comparing the speakers themselves.

Comparing speakers in the same cab will tell you much more...

Anyways, good luck with the Legacy cab!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived