Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Two "new" 12AX7 tubes

myles_rose

Two "new" 12AX7 tubes

I recently tested a new Sovtek 12AX7 that may be replacing the 12AX7WA. I have this data in my Tube Primer. It is a vast improvement over the WA. It may be on the market in about three months.

Today (11/21) I completed testing on some new Chinese 12AX7 tubes. These look visually, like the 12AX7C9, but the must have changed the cathode coatings or something.

These 12AX7C tubes, are the best 12AX7/ECC83/7025 new production tubes I have seen to date.

They were very consistent. Very closely matched right out of the box.

They are very quiet, at least -3dB down from the best of the other 12AX7 family tubes. These will drop the background noise in high gain amps very nicely.

Current output ... amazing ... none below 1.0mA (most tubes today drop to 0.5-0.6mA)

Transconductance - 1600 is spec, and all of these meet or exceed this figure.

Rise time and curves are great. Very linear and smooth.

GAIN - big surprise here ..... today, finding a new 12AX7 with a gain over 85 is like finding a needle in a haystack. These were all over 90, and many at 93-94+.

How do they sound? Strong, big, like an great NOS find. This is just my take on things, but 8 were given to Jim Wygle who will test them with his better playing skills, in some classic amps, high gain amps, and do that shreadding thing he does.

I do not know when these will hit the market, but I will post something when I know more.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the info Myles!

Especially important for me because the new VHT Pitbull Fifty/CL I just bought recommends the following:

V1 - 12AX7WB Sovtek

V2 - 12AX7 China

V3 - 12AX7 China

V5 - 12AX7 China

Sounds like I'll be able to upgrade those tubes shortly and get some AX7's for the Univalve.

Originally posted by James-Italy:

Thanks for the info Myles!

Especially important for me because the new VHT Pitbull Fifty/CL I just bought recommends the following:

V1 - 12AX7WB Sovtek

V2 - 12AX7 China

V3 - 12AX7 China

V5 - 12AX7 China

Sounds like I'll be able to upgrade those tubes shortly and get some AX7's for the Univalve.

James .....

There are a few more secrets brewing at GT ... some new tubes that have not even been mentioned :)

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Gabriel,

Cool. I'd like to get my hands on a couple of those Chinese ones when they hit market.
Me too!

Myles, do you know when the Chinese tubes will hit the general market?

Myles,

James ..

There are a few more secrets brewing at GT ... some new tubes that have not even been mentioned

Will the ".. secrets brewing .." be out before the Chinese tubes are available?

Dave the Inquistor

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

James .....

There are a few more secrets brewing at GT ... some new tubes that have not even been mentioned :) [/QB]

i have heard a little bit of info on the "secrets" that are brewing there and i'm looking forward to one of them in particular very much. i won't let the cat out of the bag here tho since you chose not to say.

Archived