Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I know Jack Schitt about guitars

Huge

I've come to the conclusion I know Jack Schitt about guitars.

It's not something a guitarist will usually ever admit to but I'll explain.

I've been playing guitar for about 10 years now and I'm not bad at playing. But you could hand me a coffee table with some strings on it and I'd be happy enough getting my playing "fix" on it. As far as dialing in tone goes I'll admit I haven't got the first damn clue.

My brother can be seen rolling his eyes when he hears me playing - then he'll roll the tone knob back a bit, and fiddle with this and that on the amp until he's happy and then he'll go "That's better...".

He tells me that with his Ibanez and Marshall setup he can "dial in any tone that he wants" but to be honest - it all sounds the same to me - just somebody trying to sound like Joe Satriani.

So I had planned on buying myself one of the new Variax models for Christmas just because it was fun to play with. I've no idea what a 59 Stratoblaster or a Martin B52 or Les Paul GoldSnot or a Doobrie Coral Scimitar is supposed to sound like though but I do know that I can get a nice twangy noise off this setting and a good acoustic off this one and that's me happy.

My brother reckons for that amount of money I could get myself a Les Paul Studio and yes it looks very cool but all I know from my quick play of a LP in a store was - this thing weighs a ton.

He reckons that after I've had the Variax for a bit I'll discover I'm always playing the Tele setting or Strat setting or whatever and that I'm better off finding a really good guitar that I like in the first place and sticking with it to get the tones I want out of it cos the Variax is a Jack of all trades but master of none guitar.

I suppose the difference between us is that he's looking for his own recognisable tone (that sounds like Joe Satriani's) so that he can become a superstar with it.

Me I plan on play covers of other people's songs so....

Maybe that's why I'm going for a Variax - cos I don't know anything about guitars? :)

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He reckons that after I've had the Variax for a bit I'll discover I'm always playing the Tele setting or Strat setting or whatever
Nothing wrong with that - if thats your style!!!

Me I plan on play covers of other people's songs so....
Guess that's the same reason I'm now looking at modelling amps. :D

Hang in there - you are your own style. Some people say that most everything i play sounds like Joe Walsh ;) Fine with me :wave:

Lynn G

Originally posted by Huge:

Maybe that's why I'm going for a Variax - cos I don't know anything about guitars? :)

Hey, that's cool. I tried one of these once, and they do sound pretty good. I did find the one I tried a bit laggy (meaning somewhat slow response to my attack), but hopefully that'll be improved with version 2.0. :)

Also, it'd be nice if Line 6 could sell this as a kit, so you could, say take it to a custom luthier, and have them build your own body shape, or buy all the parts from Warmoth.

If you're a cover cat, with a wide variety of styles, get the Variax if that's striking your fancy. Don't let a fan of another style talk you into something that's not you. You'll likley be sorry.

The Variax plays well and sounds darn good.

I've no idea what a 59 Stratoblaster or a Martin B52 or Les Paul GoldSnot or a Doobrie Coral Scimitar is supposed to sound like
I'm with you, but they are GREAT sounds. I'd say a few steps above their amp modeling capabilities.

PS, sounds like you know plenty about guitars.

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

Excellent post, Huge, it had me laughing out loud!

On the one hand, before you buy, maybe you should fiddle with the Variax in the store long enough to figure out what your favorite "models" on it are, and then see if the real live guitar that those models model would serve you better.

If not, go with the Variax.

That way, you'll be making the most well informed purchase, and whichever you get- the Variax, or a "real" Strat, Tele, or Teisco, you'll be more likely to still be satisfied in the long haul.

And, after all that, I think you'll know plenty about guitars! (Like you don't already!) :rolleyes:;):thu:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Huge

If you like the feel & playability of the Variaxe, then go for it. It's all about enjoying what you're doing, not about copping this or that tone so well that the guitar geeks of the world (and, yes, that includes myself and a lot of others in here) can't tell the difference between it and the "real" thing.

You like it.

You like the sounds (whatever they happen to be).

You like the versatility.

Sounds like your decision is made, my friend.

:thu:

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Don't forget about the "new" Variax model 700 that will be hittin' the stores soon.

Carved top, better tuners, Vibrato bar... they look to be a nice "upgrade" to the original model... maybe even cause the original model to drop in price a bit?

The first truly PRO use of a Variax, (the original), I've seen was a "back-up" guitarist for Johnny Lang on Leno the other night.

I saw him in the background on a quick "cut" of the camera, then a good long shot later... sho' nuff, it was a black Variax...

Hmmmm...

BTW, Does you brother know Satch is about to introduce a signature PEAVEY amp? He's been seen on the current G3 tour playing what looks like a XXX model... but is reportedly his prototype in a XXX casing... Apparently it sounds great... totally Satch!

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Just OT: I saw Shania Twain singing on the Oprah Winfrey show the other day (Hey! Shut up! I can hear the snickering! Cut it out, ya'hear?) and both of the guitarists in her band were using Variaxes, and in fact, full Line6 rigs I think (not sure though, couldn't really make out what it said on the speaker cabs/amp heads).

Originally posted by sCary McMonster:

"I saw Shania Twain singing on the Oprah Winfrey show the other day (Hey! Shut up! I can hear the snickering! Cut it out, ya'hear?)..."

Hey, I brake for Shania! She's mighty fine.

And my aunt Sophie just loves Oprah. You two should get together, maybe catch Montel and a "Lifetime" movie! :P;):D

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by revolead:

Trust me dude, it's better to know jack crap about guitars. The rest of us know TOO much and its starting to cost money, LOTS of money. Lots, and lots and lots and lots...

Anyway, you get the point.

You are speakin' the TRUTH!!

Can I get an "Amen"?

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Have you heard the phrase, "Consciousness can be a curse"? Oh yeah, that can be so true about guitars. There are times that I wish I could just think and believe, "I've got this one guitar, and I think it sounds pretty good, so that's it for me." But nooooooooooooooooo, my little brain keeps going on about needing a Tele for country and a Strat and a hollowbody for blues, a Les Paul for rock and jazz, this amp for that music and blahbedy blah blah blah.

There are times, when I'm having a disussion with another player on a topic such as "what's a better pick? The ebony sarod ones or the rosewood," and I really just want to smack myself!

So find some sounds you like on an instrument that's comfortable, have fun, make music, and don't even give a second's thought to that giant asteroid that's hurtling toward Earth (I think I'd like to know Jack Schitt about something like that!)

I don`t know much about the Variax but recently I tried one of those weird looking guitars from Burns of London-they make the Brian May sig model. This guitar got an `editor`s pick` in GP, you can probably find it in the archives. It looks more like an acoustic but I was amazed at the amount of tonal control it had-every position of the switch (three way, I believe) sounded totally different, and the tone and volume knobs really made a difference too-and it`s not expensive. May be worth a look before you go the digital route.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Archived