Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

VHT amplifiers

flagshipmile354

Hey does anyone here like VHT amps? I know most guys I talk to have never heard of them, or have never seen one or heard one in a store. GOD, I really think they are the coolest amps. I know that is a bold statement but they are so much more dynamically nuetral than anything I have heard. I mean however you pick the string is translated to the tone. I don't own one cuz I haven't been able to afford one yet but I will someday. The only ones I have tried are a combo and the VHT pitbull CL 50. I was blown away by both of them. So tonally versatile. It is like the perfect sound. At least for what I want. My singer has a Duel Rec and though it is a decent tone I really need to tweak it alot to get away from that low end buzz. I would take a VHT HANDS down over any Boogie but that is my opinion just because they bost cost alot. I would spend the extra money. If anyone gets a chance to try one out I bet you will like it.

www.flagshipmile.com

thanks for reading my lecture on VHT!!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by flagshipmile354:

Hey does anyone here like VHT amps? I know most guys I talk to have never heard of them, or have never seen one or heard one in a store. GOD, I really think they are the coolest amps. I know that is a bold statement but they are so much more dynamically nuetral than anything I have heard. I mean however you pick the string is translated to the tone. I don't own one cuz I haven't been able to afford one yet but I will someday. The only ones I have tried are a combo and the VHT pitbull CL 50. I was blown away by both of them. So tonally versatile. It is like the perfect sound. At least for what I want. My singer has a Duel Rec and though it is a decent tone I really need to tweak it alot to get away from that low end buzz. I would take a VHT HANDS down over any Boogie but that is my opinion just because they bost cost alot. I would spend the extra money. If anyone gets a chance to try one out I bet you will like it.

www.flagshipmile.com

thanks for reading my lecture on VHT!!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$$$$Too much$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Nice but too much$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :cry:

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Their power amps are pretty cool. I'd use one with maybe a Mesa Formula or Rectifier preamp. Or maybe a Marshall JMP-1. They're the only amp maker that I know of that uses KT88s in their power amps. Very cool! Those are some awesome tubes. Great for both ganiacs and clean freaks. Probably the reason they're out of the reach of some working stiffs, though.

But I'm with DARKLAVA. I can't afford one. Yeah the amps are cool, no question. Very dynamic pieces, even with the gain and volume cranked up.

Yeah, you've described some of their prime characteristics rather succinctly; they have a good, toothy tone without being overly compressed or mushy. And, pretty expensive. But worth it if you've got it.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I agree they are EXPENSIVE!! Mesa Boogies are pretty pricey as well though. Yeah I agree with that 'overly compressed, or mushy' comment. I mean that is what I hate!! There are so many amps out there that are really easy to play through cuz they candy coat your tone with that soupy sounding compression. Alot of preamps do that I think. Like even though POD XT isn't tube when I pinch a harmonic, t compresses and bottlenecks. I mean for a distorted rock tone I would much rather have Eddie's tone on VH I than anyone out today. I think that is crazy that even with the technology and advancement in recording that Eddie still stands true with a tone 25 years ago. I don't care for it in hagar days of course cuz his tone is all compressed and preampy-soupy. Before it was so dynamic and chunky. Like he had to do some work to play through it and make it percussive. Sorry for the tangent but I might also add I love Eddie VH cuz I am old but I think he is/was the best rythmn player in rock. That to me is why he is so cool. That is what makes his old solos cool. He has awesome dynamics and rythmn. This is cuz of Alex I think but I thought I may add that cuz to me he doesn't get credit for the important things he did on guitar. Only for his solos and his tapping stuff which were awesome too,but his style is so much in his sense of timing and feel. It is tough to play an old VH song and play it like Eddie. I think he is one of the toughest guys to sound like cuz he is giving it everything. Not to say I want to sound like him, ut after 22 years of playing I always go back and listen to old VH and shit my pants. OK I know this is another topic, hehe. I am currently playing through a Peavey Classic 100 head through a celestion cabinet. It is a great cheap amp. I wouldn't say it is in the league with the more expensive amps because in the end you get what you pay for but it is pretty darn good. The thing I like about it is that it sounds great live. I don't know that I care for the compressed sound it gets. It doesn't have the headroom a Duel Rec has. In some ways I like the Classic's punch better than the Rectifier but the Boogie has better dynamics. In the end I will be ALL VHT, When I play through my buddies VHT it just sounds the way a guitar is supposed to sound. I mean it is more buzzy and rich. Like even when it is distorted if you pick lightly it sounds almost clean. WOWSER. I wish I had one now but I am scraping by right now. When I get it I am going to balance it on my head and do a few dozen jumping jacks. Maybe if if someone at the store sees me I will get some free shit. haha

Originally posted by flagshipmile354:

I agree they are EXPENSIVE!! Mesa Boogies are pretty pricey as well though. Yeah I agree with that 'overly compressed, or mushy' comment. I mean that is what I hate!! There are so many amps out there that are really easy to play through cuz they candy coat your tone with that soupy sounding compression. Alot of preamps do that I think. Like even though POD XT isn't tube when I pinch a harmonic, t compresses and bottlenecks. I mean for a distorted rock tone I would much rather have Eddie's tone on VH I than anyone out today. I think that is crazy that even with the technology and advancement in recording that Eddie still stands true with a tone 25 years ago. I don't care for it in hagar days of course cuz his tone is all compressed and preampy-soupy. Before it was so dynamic and chunky. Like he had to do some work to play through it and make it percussive. Sorry for the tangent but I might also add I love Eddie VH cuz I am old but I think he is/was the best rythmn player in rock. That to me is why he is so cool. That is what makes his old solos cool. He has awesome dynamics and rythmn. This is cuz of Alex I think but I thought I may add that cuz to me he doesn't get credit for the important things he did on guitar. Only for his solos and his tapping stuff which were awesome too,but his style is so much in his sense of timing and feel. It is tough to play an old VH song and play it like Eddie. I think he is one of the toughest guys to sound like cuz he is giving it everything. Not to say I want to sound like him, ut after 22 years of playing I always go back and listen to old VH and shit my pants. OK I know this is another topic, hehe. I am currently playing through a Peavey Classic 100 head through a celestion cabinet. It is a great cheap amp. I wouldn't say it is in the league with the more expensive amps because in the end you get what you pay for but it is pretty darn good. The thing I like about it is that it sounds great live. I don't know that I care for the compressed sound it gets. It doesn't have the headroom a Duel Rec has. In some ways I like the Classic's punch better than the Rectifier but the Boogie has better dynamics. In the end I will be ALL VHT, When I play through my buddies VHT it just sounds the way a guitar is supposed to sound. I mean it is more buzzy and rich. Like even when it is distorted if you pick lightly it sounds almost clean. WOWSER. I wish I had one now but I am scraping by right now. When I get it I am going to balance it on my head and do a few dozen jumping jacks. Maybe if if someone at the store sees me I will get some free shit. haha

Flagman you go on with your bad self

it's about time somebody gave props to Ed,and i thank you.Alot of people judge Ed by aint talking

about love or what ever.But sit in a room with

this guy and he will blow your mind.To me he'll

allways be the best.Sorry you van halen haters.

:wave:

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Haha, maybe I should have made the link VH, not VHT! Anyways, it isn't like Eddie hasn't gotten alot of credit. Sometimes I wonder if he gets the credit in the right areas though. I mean there are plenty of great rock players nowadays with great technique but in my mind they are in the 'wake' of Eddie. I can't really trace Eddie. He is like archetypal in is approach. Of course I can hear a little Holdsworth in his style, like in 'Drop Dead Legs' but who isn't enamored with Holdsworth---the technical master of electric guitar!? I can hear the roots from other players but not Eddie. It isn't a bad thing, it is just reality. I don't think too many guys can come along in 30 years that are going to reinvent the guitar. I do consider Allan Holdsworth on this level from an electric lead perspective as well and of course Hendrix. I dunno, when I listen to Eddie I am impressed by technique but not speed. I mean his technique is ridiculous when you measure how much effort it takes to create a VH moment. This includes the attack he uses, the slides, the million little things he does through a dynamically neutral tone. Lots of work to make it sound like him. If I listen to 'I'm the one' or 'Outta love' I am blown away at how intense that guy is cuz they recorded live. I give equal credit to Alex who I consider to be an extremely under rated drummer. OK man, you got me going about it. It is unfortunate that after Roth left VH became like Aerosmith (80's till now) to many listeners. People who aren't in my generation think they are a silly band with nothing cool to offer. It is sad because at one time they were by far the coolest, biggest band. Eddie improvising live in the 70's and 80's was amazing.

www.flagshipmile.com

I love EVH too!

Back on topic. My local music store has a VHT Pitbull Fifty/CL. I didn't get a chance to play it because it was in the display room and not the soundproof area. There were too many people anyway so I was thinking about going back and trying today or next week. What's the verdict? Any comments? My ears will tell me, but it's nice to have input from you guys.

continued from previous...

Great tone on the first album. guitarist not even born at that time are drooling over his tone.

What I remember being really impressed with when I heard VH1 was how well his sound lended itself to his riffs AND his leads and fills. It seemed to me that at the time most guitarist of note used a different tone for leads than rhythm. Eddie tone was great for both riffing and jumping all around the neck.

Yum, Yum! Eat em up!

Bought a Fifty/CL head today and a VHT 2x12 cab.

Most expensive amp I've ever bought, but also the easiest to get a great sound out of in no time. There wasn't even a fricking manual and the website has none. Considering there are about 50 switches and knobs that's not the best thing. Oh well, guess these amps are made to be played with. So far I haven't been able to set it where it sounds bad. This is really a nice amp. It's so much different from the JTM45 I've got and makes a nice alternative for when I wanna Rock. And this baby Rocks!

The 50 watts strangely enough are not overkill and usable. You can get an awesome sound without cranking it up too much. Literally at bedroom levels the amp sings, cranked up to piss-off-your-neighbors volumes and it rules! I don't even have to use an attenuator, yet it is able to get those singing tones without cranking everything to 10. I've only used it in A/B mode so far, with time I'll experiment a bit. And, I'm not yet good enough to play any EVH licks, but this amp does that early EVH sound really well.

Thanks for the tip flagshipmile!

I'm happy to hear about your purchase, that rules. I would drool to have that setup!! The first time I heard a VHT pitbull cl 50 I was so blown away. It has such a rich dynamic tone. You hear so much more with every note you pick. Way more dynamic complexity than say a Duel Rectifier. It sounds even better cranked up too!! God, I am jealous. I wish I was rich!

www.flagshipmile.com

Archived