Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ignorant Midi Guitar Question:

Sunshy

If I buy a roland ready strat or buy a Roland GK-2 pickup and install it on my guitar, can I plug it into the midi in of ANY synth or do I need a guitar synth (like the GR1) and THEN plug into my midi snyth. Thanks! Also, if anyone has one for sale, please let me know :)
"Pray for the dead . . . but fight like hell for the living." Mother Jones

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The pickup senses the string vibration and sends a proprietary signal to the Roland guitar synth or other compatible brain. It does not have a MIDI signal coming out of it. The "brain" figures out the MIDI notes and spits those out.

"You are correct, sir!"

But before you give up on MIDI guitar completely, let me assure you there ARE true MIDI guitar interfaces available.

I believe Godin and others use them in their production guitars and I'm sure there are "add on" kits available to upgrade your guitar.

Don't give up yet!

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Originally posted by guitplayer:

[QB...I believe Godin and others use them in their production guitars and I'm sure there are "add on" kits available to upgrade your guitar.

guitplayer[/QB]

Unless they changed gears, Guitplayer, Godin has always used the Roland pickup protocol for the Multi-tac. No direct MIDI out.

Parker, OTOH, installed Midi-Buddy pickup-to-midi converters in the Nite-Fly model and dubbed it the Midi-Fly. This was a true MIDI output directly from the guitar. I think they may have shelved the idea, though.

There are other direct guitar-to-MIDI devices, but I'm unaware who's still in business.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I've got one of those dust catchers in the closet......it was fun, and if I were into music that used those colors, it'd still be fun. But alas, it sits unused, unwanted, and lonely for the aspiring midi guitarist to buy and caress its dark soul. Its the Roland GR1 and the pickup, waiting for one of you to buy! :):)
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Originally posted by tld:

The GK-2A pickup also works with the Axon quitar to midi converter, which is quite nice but pricey. I picked one up on ebay a while back and am using it with a GK-2A mounted on a DeArmond guitar I had. As far as I know, they are still making the Axon units.

Tom

BUT that is NOT the only option! You can get a used Axon ax 100 on ebay here http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2572366708&category=38071 But they go for about $900.00 to $1000.00 new!

Roland makes a Guitar to MIDI converter called the GI20, it is compatible with the GK2A pickup.... but it only costs $350.00 new! (American Musical Supply sells them for $349.98, Musicians Friend sells them for $349.99) What it is, is a small black box that you can plug in any GK2A equipped 13 pin guitar into and simply run a 13 pin cord from the GK2A to the front of the GI20, then run a MIDI cord out the back of the GI20s MIDI out and into the MIDI in of a keyboard or module! They say that the tracking also is very good! For my MIDI setup.....I use a Roland ready strat that has a GK2A pickup built in and run it into a Roland GR-33, which has its own sounds on board. I just use the onboard sounds of the GR 33. If I ever get a keyboard module, I will just get a Roland GI 20, because the latencey (The time it takes a signal to travel from the GK2A, through the roland GR 33 and midi out to a keyboard module) is not good! So it is your choice, but I just thought I would give you another option.

Originally posted by Geenard:

I've got one of those dust catchers in the closet......it was fun, and if I were into music that used those colors, it'd still be fun. But alas, it sits unused, unwanted, and lonely for the aspiring midi guitarist to buy and caress its dark soul. Its the Roland GR1 and the pickup, waiting for one of you to buy! :):)

The GR 1 is the older version of the GR 33 if I am not mistaken.....still a nice unit!

Originally posted by zeronyne:

Roland also makes its own MIDI convertor that does not have any onboard sounds. The model is GI-10. It also has a monophonic audio input...great for playing drum sounds with a Theremin.

I think the GI 20 replaced the GI 10....I if I have my facts straight.

Archived