Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

best 'giant killer'

elferoony

well this is kind of a copy of the other topic.

but there are so many tube amps around 30 watts, and with such varying prices.

ac30 (almost $2,000, isn't it?)

classic 30 (under $500?)

deluxe reverb (reissue $800?)

and gibson and marshall stuff too?

i don't know where to start, especially since they all supposedly have similar features.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Best" is a relative term. What I think is the best might suck in your opinion. All of the amps you mention are good for certain things. The Peavey is great for folks on a budget, Marshall is great for people who want a high-gain amplifier, etc.

What are YOU looking for?

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Hey elfarooney, did you catch my apology on your "changing strings" thread? Just making sure.

Glad you're still here.

So, a new amp is in order? Very cool. I can speak for a 50 watt I played at GC. It had some good classic rock tone and got pretty dirty. No Marshall-type dirty, if that's what you're looking for. It's the V50 from Crate. I got the V15 due to price and size consideration. Real nice tone. Very happy with it. Looks cool too.

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

For ME: Peavey XXL combo. No question.

The 2x12 should suffice for smaller to medium size gigs, and with the power output switch, I can set it as low as 25 watts, 50 watts, or as high as 100 watts. It uses the company's proprietary "Transtube" solid state technology, which has improved over several generations of amp lines. Recently, Peavey released a new version of the Supreme 2 channel amp head (the XXL has 3). Hopefully if there's enough demand, there'll be a combo version soon enough.

For bigger shows, I can disable the combo speakers, then plug it into one or even two 4x12 cabs.

No tubes to worry about, either. It's really THAT GOOD IMHO.

How about YOU? :)

Marshall's DSL 401, but its over 6 bills.

Fender Pro Jr. Incredibly toneful and inexpensive. Might not be enough volume for some.

Traynor 40 watt.....moderately priced last I checked.

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe....40 watts, around 500 bucks and you can play any hall with it.

Peavey Classic 50.....EL84's and great tone.

Budda Twinmaster....18 watts, but they ain't cheap.

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

I've heard elsewhere that the Hellhound is being discontinued soon in favor of a new amp, yet to be announced. :eek:

Most people liked them though... and there is currently a secondary market through e-bay and such...

Hmmmm...

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Archived