Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My old guitar getting completely rebuilt!

reachjkh

Warning! Long-winded post ahead! You've been warned.

I'm very excited about my old guitar getting completely rebuilt for me.

This is a frankenstein(most of my guitars are) that I built four or five years ago from a bright red MIJ Charvel body w/badly done Floyd retrofit, an old Kramer Pacer one-piece maple neck(pointy strat head), Jackson J100 single coil neck(angled), and a Duncan Custom in the bridge. I made this guitar play and intonate well, but the neck pocket was loose and deep(to compensate for the poorly placed Floyd) and I just didn't like the look of it, and the poor work done by previous owners bugged me.

I can't seem to find the time to do it myself, so I worked a deal with my father(who is a luthier) to totally rebuild this guitar into something I will love.

The pointy strat head will have some maple added to recreate the strat "ball" that is missing from it. The flat, one-piece maple neck will be radiused to 12" at the nut to match the floyd nut and will flatten out to about 16" in the upper register so my string bends won't fret out. The frets will be medium high/wide. The neck will have five metal inserts for machine screws, and the neck plate is being replaced by individual countersunk washers.

The neck pocket is being lined with hardwood and re-routed for a tight fit. The rear electronics access has been covered with a plate of wood and the front will be routed out for a H/S/H strat pickguard. It is being painted in ivory with a semi-flat finish(gives a nice eggshell type reflection, goes on easy, and wears better than flat). It will have a white pickguard and all pickups, switches, and knobs are black.

The Floyd is being re-installed at the proper location, and the saddles shimmed to match the 16" radius at the 22nd fret. Floyd and tuners are all chrome.

Schaller Strap locks will be installed using Locktite and machine screws into metal inserts in the body. Pickups are Duncan Jazz neck, Jackson J100 single middle, and Duncan Custom bridge.

For the electronics, I am taking an idea from another post here on the forum and wiring it a little different. It will probably have a three way switch instead of the normal five-way. It will be wired up neck/neck+bridge/bridge. The knobs will be wired for Volume(neck and bridge only), Tone(neck and bridge only), and Volume(middle only - this will be the only way to select this pickup). I'm still trying to figure out how I want to tap the two hums since I use neck position single coil extensively in my playing(probably a mini switch off-center below the second and third knobs).

It should be done within the next week and I just can't hardly wait. This is the first time I ever really knew what I wanted EXACTLY in a guitar; from the neck radius, to the fret wire, to the color...etc. It really was a lot of work trying to figure it all out, but I hope to report on it's performance soon.

If you actually read this whole thing and are interested in such minute details of my guitar... bless you. You need to get out more often, but bless you anyway.

whew, I need a cigarette after that

Hey you white boy there

Go play that funky music

"ok...what's it pay?"

first smoke, then silence

your very expensive rig

dies so gracefully

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sweet. I always think do-it yourself jons are something to be proud of whether it be your kitchen countertops, unclogging your own toilet, or building a guitar. Cool thing that your dad is a luthier too. That has to be exciting.

BTW - How do you like the SD Custom? I have a JB in my Jackson right now that I love, but I've been thinking for a next guitar, maybe getting a Duncan Custom or a Custom Custom.

Shut up and play.

Revolead, sorry, it sounds like a Duncan pickup that's about all I can say about it. It's a good sounding pickup, but I couldn't describe it to you in any way. However, you should check out Duncan's pickup forums. I guarantee you that you'll get an answer you like over there.

Cavean, I just talked to him about getting on the forum, and I think he's probably going to do so. He's still working on his web site so there's nothing to see there, yet. When it does go live, there's a really nice neck repair on an Epiphone hollow body Les Paul that's gonna have some great pics. Took a completely trashed neck and made it play beautifully. He's also got a custom built 7 that he's working on right now. I can't wait to test drive it. :thu:

Hey you white boy there

Go play that funky music

"ok...what's it pay?"

your very expensive rig

dies so gracefully

hey jkh, here i am

have fun now!

whatever the mind of man can concieve & believe it can achieve!

study it as a science/practice it as an art!

luck...that's what happens when preparation & opportunity intersect

properly percieved every situation becomes an opportunity

yea, good for you.

Actually, I re-read my post, and I realized I got a little excited. I meant to say that it will be done in the next several weeks...NOT the next week. :o

welcome aboard.

Hey you white boy there

Go play that funky music

"ok...what's it pay?"

your very expensive rig

dies so gracefully

• 2 months later...

Update.

My guitar still needs frets, neck stripped and oiled, Floyd recess routed, and electronics installed, but it's getting real close to being done. I've got a good feeling about this guitar. I hope it speaks to me as well as current favorite does.

I'm going with only a volume,tone, and 5 way switch. The normal strat volume knob placement just doesn't work for me. Looks great, but just gets in my way.

I WILL find a way to post a pic once it's done.

Hey you white boy there

Go play that funky music

"ok...what's it pay?"

your very expensive rig

dies so gracefully

Archived