Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Giant Killers

strat0124

Every walk in to a rehearsal or jam session with a little amp and absolutely smoke the guys with elaborate setups and monster stacks? I'll wait for your responses before I add mine....but I have to tell you its a great feeling! :)
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well in my own experience it was walking in with a Pro Jr with guys with bigger rigs and massive pedalboards, and the little Jr just walked the dog.

However, I saw a band a while back open up for one of the locals. The guitarist had two Super Champs....and it sounded INCREDIBLE.

The next band came up, Marshall stacks....and it wasn't nearly as toneful, in fact it was tedious to listen to.

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

I used to use a Champ 12 as my main amp. Back then band used to regularly open up for more "established" but still local acts. The other guitar players would always look at me funny when I set up. I'd crank the amp and it sounded monster. Afterwards I'd get compliments on the tone.

Sound guys loved it too.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

I also have a Pro Jr. experience. I was going to join another band on stage whose guitarist was playing through a 5150 half stack. There were no available mikes for my amp, but the stage was bare hardwood, so I put the amp angled into a corner, which spread the sound through the room really well. It was more than enough, and I got some nice compliments on my tone, which was overdriven but appropriate.

I wish I could say yes but I remember going to a jam with my champ. A couple of guys had marshall half stacks and even if I sat with my ear next to my speaker, I couldnt tell if i was playing. But I understand your intent and have seen many a blues player straight through just any fender tube amp just floor me with tone. Most of it comes from the fingers anyway.

i plannin on buying one of those giant killers later on this week. i went and tried out a traynor ycv20 wr yesterday and i love it. it's 15 watts with two channels. the only thing i don't like about it is tha tthe eq is shared between the channels, but i can work with that. it also comes with a celestion greenback speaker

i like those small amps because u can get them cranked up where they really sound good.

Archived