Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

can you put p-90's in an epi lp standard?

revorhythm

Im looking at either the epi goldtop or an epi lp standard w/p-90's. however standards dont come with p-90's so i wanted to know if you could replace the buckers with 90's? is the cutout for the bucker to big/small, boxy? basically is it possible, without having to reform the cutout for the bucker.
hot girls, fast cars, and even louder guitars

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're in luck! Gibson makes the P-94 (P-90 type, single-coil) pickup that retrofits an existing standard humbucker mount, as does Seymour Duncan's "Fat Cat" P-90 style pickup. (The SD Fat Cat comes standard on some Hamer Newport models.)

You can scope out the Gibson P-94 on this page at:

http://strings.Gibson.com/pickups/minihumbuckers.shtml

As for the Seymour duncan Fat Cat, I do not find it on their current 'site, but perhaps the folks on their forum could elucidate... try'em at:

http://www.SeymourDuncan.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl

Best of luck, we'll all look forward to hearing something from you and your soap-barred Epi!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite, who 8 the Pilgrims.:

You're in luck! Gibson makes the P-94 (P-90 type, single-coil) pickup that retrofits an existing standard humbucker mount, as does Seymour Duncan's "Fat Cat" P-90 style pickup. (The SD Fat Cat comes standard on some Hamer Newport models.)

You can scope out the Gibson P-94 on this page at:

http://strings.Gibson.com/pickups/minihumbuckers.shtml

As for the Seymour duncan Fat Cat, I do not find it on their current 'site, but perhaps the folks on their forum could elucidate... try'em at:

http://www.SeymourDuncan.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl

Best of luck, we'll all look forward to hearing something from you and your soap-barred Epi!

You knew I'd be listening in, and you are just rubbing my nose in it here Caevan aren't you? The link is in my favourites already, my appetite is whet, and the list of acquisitions to complete my tonal arsenal is growing ever longer, I thank you!

Find Lee Flier's excellent musical examples ("For Love Or Money", "Inocence Found", and an exquisite cover of the Beatles' "I've Got A Feeling") here on the Forum for an idea...

I don't really know if you'd want to put one in with the neck pickup remaining a humbucker, though... I don't really know if they make a good mix'n'match...

But, first, finish the damn Tele middle pickup project!!

I like to have many countless irons in the fire at any one time Mr. O'Shite Sir. Plus, I'm trying to stave off the desperate craving for a '62 Jaguar Reissue! There, I've said it, now help me will you??? :freak:

PS

I am loving the 'Got a feeling' demo by the way, a more transparent bridge tone me thinks! Most suitable indeed.

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite, who 8 the Pilgrims.:

Find Lee Flier's excellent musical examples ("For Love Or Money", "Inocence Found", and an exquisite cover of the Beatles' "I've Got A Feeling") here on the Forum for an idea...

I don't really know if you'd want to put one in with the neck pickup remaining a humbucker, though... I don't really know if they make a good mix'n'match...

Why not? For a long time, Mike Stern used a beat up vintage blonde Fender Tele with a SD 59 in the neck, and some hot tele bridge pickup (probably a Duncan). His sig Yamaha still uses the 59, but now uses a Tele Hot Rails in the bridge, so it has cleaner output.

I've gone off the idea anyhow!!! Just spent an afternoon listening to the new Burstbucker pickups, and I think I like what I hear enough to consider changing.

Seymour Duncan offered a couple of similair types too, the uneven winding, so I'm led to beleive is the key to the edgy sound they produce.

Naturally your words on such matters are always welcome Caevan, in fact I almost insist on it!

Tea.

Yeah, you're right, Taz, I just like humbuckers in pairs and P-90's in pairs; I can't make up my mind which I like best for one position or the other.

Now, a 'bucker at the bridge, a soapbar in the middle, and a mini-humbucker in the neck on a three-pickup guitar just might be pretty cool, come to think of it! Wired up so that you could get any series, parallel, or series/parallel combination, to boot!

i don't know how determined you are for an epi but if there are any godin dealers your neck of the woods try to check out the Godin LGsp90. they have a gold finish that is beautiful and come with seymour duncan sp90's. there is nothing to upgrade and i believe the price is about the same or better(where i am anyway).

Actually, that Godin might be a better "rhythm" guitar, and maybe even a better guitar, all around!

I think that it has a longer scale-length than the Epi les Paul (Edit: I was wrong!)

i don't want to sound like a broken record but i just love my lg sp90. most of my past purchases have had a honeymoon period and then a slow dissinterest on my part. but this guitar seems like a soul mate for me i love playing it. i guess i was needing p90's and didn't know it. :D

Archived