Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Resonator Guitar

ridger

Over on the Big Road Blues Forum there's been much discussion over the years about things like cone changes in inexpensive Asian resos. I'm one of the few folks over there who's never brought home a biscuit, so I can't help much personally. Generally Quarterman cones are held in low regard by the biscuit and tricone users, though they're the mule's jewels for spiders. I've just replaced the set of Quarterman cones I used to replace the truly horrid original 2001 Chinese cones in my Johnson Tricone with a set of Continental cones another fellow took out of his brand new 2005 Johnson (they're using Continental cones now) to replace them with new National Re$ophonic cones. He says he can't tell any difference in his from replacing the Continentals with the Nationals, but boy, mine sure does sound better with the Continentals than it did with the Quartermans!

There are some issues on biscuit resos with differing cone and biscuit heights, especially when putting National cones in the Asian imports.

Seems like I recall somebody recently saying the Epi Biscuit had a pretty good cone in it from the getgo, but I'd recommend taking a look around there.

Also on the IGS Guitar Forum. There's some real resonator experts on there!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived