Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Resonator Guitar

ridger

After watching the PBS special on the "Blues", I now would like to learn to play blues using a slide on a resonator guitar. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a good entry level resonator guitar (<$500.00) or what would you suggest? Thanks.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried a coupla' resonator guitars out at my local music shop and I highly recommend staying in the price range that you mentioned. I tried one relatively cheap one (maybe $250?) and a better one (maybe $500+?) and there was an immense difference.

Also, I noticed (but never knew/thought about before) that the resonator part is made out of different materials, with I assume, much different tones.

The materials that I saw at Liberty were aluminum, brass and copper. I would think that they would vary from "harsh and bright" to "smooth and dark" as I listed them. Choose your weapon/instrument, and ".. choose wisely ..".

I feel certain that in this case, even much more so than in any other guitar type, an in person autition is needed.

Dave

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

I'd say go check out the Regals, or Johnsons. The Gibson Hounddog is right at 7 bills, probably alot cheaper used. Or you can get my dad to build you one...but it won't be cheap! :)
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Originally posted by gotMYgrits:

I've been wondering about the Fender resonator guitar I saw in a shop window recently - they have the fender 'f' as the f-holes. If anyone's tried one of these - what's the verdict? :confused:

I've spent a little time with the Fender, plays well, and the price is reasonable, Not Bad.........UNTIL...........I picked up a Regal :D

No contest and about the same price. If and when I bite for one - I'm going with the Regal.

Thing to remember bout Resonators - they were basically cheap guitars (ie not a lot of bracing since you got that big pie pan sittin there, and the old blues guys didn't have a lot of money anyway. I think that I heard that the main idea for the resonator was to get more volume.)

BTW, picked up a new Dean Resonator the other day at the store - Metal body etc - totally different sound and technique (but a bit more money)

Just my .02 worth.

have fun looking :wave:

Lynn G

Originally posted by Geenard:

I'd say go check out the Regals, or Johnsons. The Gibson Hounddog is right at 7 bills, probably alot cheaper used. Or you can get my dad to build you one...but it won't be cheap! :)

I was checking out the Hound Dog. It looks pretty sharp!

Hound Dog

Peace

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Regal! Yeah I forgot about those. Probably the best deal out there on a Resonator but I still don't think they're in the league with Liberty.

I didn't like the Deans I played, nor was I overly impress with the Fender though it's not too bad, especially for the money.

I own an Epiphone Biscuit & it's ok too, for what I paid for it, but I wouldn't buy another one only because I also play it as a guitar & it's one tough SOB to play & the action ain't all that high. With a slide strictly it's got nice tone though.

Look on eBay. There are some pretty good deals now and again.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Yeah, if you're gonna get a new one, and in that price range, a Regal will do ya fine. There mid- and upper-price offerings are pretty good, and based on the old vintage Regals.

If dak says the Liberty's are good, they must be good. Acoustic instruments are his bailiwick.

If you hold out, you might find a good deal on a used Hound Dog or Dobro, especially in these days of e-bays.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Yer too much Caevan...

Guys, I've never had the privilege to have played a Liberty. I have heard a couple of Liberty reso's & they sounded great. When I heard what the price was I started checking on them. Take a look at the reviews on Harmony Central. The only negative is, I think bogus, from a guy that put some real crap on the instrument and remains anonymous. Of course.

Anyway, a Liberty WILL by my next resonator.

You wanna buy my Eppy Biscuit???

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

• 1 year later...

Thought I'd recycle this thread rather than start a new one.

I have an Epiphone biscuit resophonic guitar, and I think the notes die out kind of quickly. I wouldn't mind some bottom end either, but that's not really essential.

My question is this...

Would getting a new cone/biscuit

improve things to a noticeable degree?

It might even be as simple as a proper set-up/fine-tuning of the wole-schebang; do a search for that thread on pickups for reso's, I think it was ellwood's, there might have been a link or mention in there on a 'page or 'site on reso-specific set-up.

They're a whole 'nother breed of guitar; that biscuit-bridge and cone assembly has to be just-so, and I haven't made much of a forray into that myself- yet.

There are a number of forums out there that focus on things like this and related topics, too. I'll come through here later and see what I can find out and post for you, Vince. Italy needs reso's! ;):cool:

My personal preference is the Johnson Style 1 Tricone. You can get those for around $500.

Here's a link to Coast to Coast Music. I've bought a bunch of stuff (including a Tricone last year for my teacher) from John there. He's great to deal with, and can give you a better price on the phone than what's advertised on the website.

http://coast2coastmusic.com/cgi-bin/cart/JM991.html

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Originally posted by Ricochet:

My personal preference is the Johnson Style 1 Tricone.

No, no... but thanks anyway.

I like the Biscuit just fine, I wouldn't want to trade it.

I'm just wondering if changing the cone would improve the sound or whether the cone it shipped with was pretty much the same as every other cone.

Like I said, my personal preference is the Tricone. I've never wanted a biscuit cone enough to buy one. They've got a good sound for the "thrash blues," but are pretty limited. The Tricone's sound is a lot more versatile IMO. But I'm happy for everyone who likes what they have. That's the point. :)

Like I said, my personal preference is the Tricone. I've never wanted a biscuit cone enough to buy one. They've got a good sound for the "thrash blues," but are pretty limited. The Tricone's sound is a lot more versatile IMO. But I'm happy for everyone who likes what they have. That's the point. :)

OK

Originally posted by ellwood:

OK, then I guess I will only play trash blues and let other slide players be more sophisticated

Originally posted by gotMYgrits:

I've been wondering about the Fender resonator guitar I saw in a shop window recently - they have the fender 'f' as the f-holes. If anyone's tried one of these - what's the verdict? :confused:

It's not scottish, and if it's not scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!!!

I do NOT like them at all, and I have tried several.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Here ya go, Vince; lemmee know if this is of any help to ya...

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/icons/icon2.gif Slide Easy: Dobro and Resophonic Set Up by Roger Fritz/Gibson Internet Services

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/icons/icon2.gif Folk of the Wood (Instructional video, accessories, etc.)

By the way, I suspect that Ricochet's been misunderstood here; I believe that he was replying to the original topic-question of this thread, not commenting on anyone else's guitars or recommendations...

You might do well to check out the Slide & Alternate Tunings Forum (Guitar Noise Forums) that Ricochet moderates; cool corner of the 'net there!

Thanks, Caevan!

I didn't say "trash blues," I said "Thrash Blues!" I mean the hard stuff like Son House played, for which I have the utmost affection. A biscuit bridge reso is perfect for that. It's not nearly as good for slower stuff, because it lacks sustain. It's got a short, sharp bark.

The Tricone will give a pretty darn good bark when you bang on it, too, so you're really not giving anything away when you want to thrash. But it works well for the slower stuff with its far greater sustain, and works well in a lot of non-blues styles, too.

Why do some people want to make these discussions into arguments about whose stuff is best, and take recommendations for something else as an affront to their stuff? All I said was that my personal preference is for a Tricone, and briefly stated why. I still think it's a more versatile instrument than a biscuit. Lots of my friends are happy with their biscuits, and I'm very happy for them.

:)

A biscuit bridge reso is perfect for that. It's not nearly as good for slower stuff, because it lacks sustain. It's got a short, sharp bark.

Kewl.

So d'you think changing the cone and biscuit on an Epiphone Biscuit would make a noticeable improvement or are cones all pretty much the same?

There are those Quarterman (I think that's the name) aluminum cones; they're supposed to be all-that, I figure if I were building from the ground-up (or more likely, a reso'-kit from Stewart-MacDonald) I'd use one of those.

But I have very little experience with them, so I don't know if the difference would be appreciable enough to make it worthwhile.

I'd still begin with the set-up and strings, and then go from there.

Originally posted by CaevanO'Shite:

I'd still begin with the set-up and strings, and then go from there.

**tsk** yeah, I know. I guess that, like so many people, I'm looking for some "silver bullet" type solution.

Why is it that when someone mounts an external pickup on a resonator guit, it's usually a single coil? Is it just a space thing, or do humbuckers seriously screw up the tone?

I'd guess that it's partly because a single-coil's attack goes well with a resophonic's peakiness; humbucking designs usually smooth out the attack somewhat, or roll it into a broader, rounder punch, if you will.

Archived