Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

two hand tapping

Megadeth420247

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Try working on the solo to "One" by Metallica. Just run through the two-hand tap section at the beginning until your sick of it. You'll get used to what intervals sound good tapped, and which ones are generally avoided. I personally don't use the technique in my soloing, probably because I'm not proficient enough to feel comfortable writing my own two-hand sections.
Shut up and play.

Originally posted by Megadeth420247:

anyone know any good exercises for switching strings while still tapping

Man if you can figure out how to change strings

while your tapping you will be my guitar

hero. :P

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

For traditional tapping (Eddie Van Halen or Randy Rhoads style), it's easiest to move across the strings if you use your tapping finger as the first note on the new string. That gives your fret hand time to get in position.

Another technique, and one that I use, is to move across the string in a more scale-ular(is that a word?) fashion using "silent pulloffs". This is hard to descibe, but I'll try. Let me start off by saying that I tap with my middle finger. For me, that's a key to developing this technique.

Let's start simply, with a three-note-per-string sequence, using two strings. We'll use the 5th, 7th and 9th fret on both the D and G strings, starting on the 5th fret-D string and basically walking up the scale. Now get into tapping position. Your initial attack will be to silently pulloff to the first note (5th F, G string), using either the middle or ring finger of your tapping hand(fretted by your index finger, LH). Hammer-on to the 7th fret with your ring finger(LH). Tap with your middle finger(RH) on the 9th fret. To move to the next string: Using your ring finger (right hand) silently pulloff to the 5th fret G string. Hammer to the 7th fret, then tap on the 9th fret.

So, the key here is to have the tap followed by the silent pulloff as smooth as possible. It's not that hard, either. When you really get it moving, it sounds completely cool! Eventually you can move up and down the neck, mixing in different things to keep from sounding to lesson-ish.

The only other guitar player that I know to use this technique is Reb Beach, but I'm sure there are others.

Everybody knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact. - Homer Simpson

Micheal Hedges did some serious "tapping", but it was in the context of other things, and not solely a tapping guitarist as some have made themselves.

Then theres Stanley Jordan, who doesn't really tap, but does fluid lines, bass runs, chord structure with both hands on the frets.....killer.

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Archived