Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What does your setup consist of?

webe123

Originally posted by alguit:

:(

I love to go with a simple setup, when appropriate-one of the best live tones I've ever had was my Tele into an Alesis Microverb into a Fender Pro Jr., but it's wrong for someone to assume that a certain number of pedals is a sign that one is unhappy with his/her amp tone. The amps I own all have been used at gigs and recording sessions without pedals, and I chose them for their inherent tones. But some of us also are required and/or get to play music which sometimes calls for and sometimes improves with the coloration that the right pedals can provide.

Should Hendrix not have used a Univibe? Blackmore and octave box? Steve Morse a delay? Andy Summers a chorus? Pedals, used tastefully, are great "spices" to add to our sonic stew. However, if I have to, I'll go straight into an amp and rely on my technique, imagination and instrument settings. So there. :o:D

I understand what you mean. If I were recording I'd use alot of stuff I'd probably never use live. And to be honest, to get that early sixties fuzz sound, you have to have either a Fuzzface or a Big Muff Pi.....an amp alone wouldn't sound right. However, what I was referring to was the picker who doesn't use his amps natural overdrive or whatever and relies totally on a packaged tone from a pedal/pedal board. In this case, any amp with plenty of power would suffice. My thing is why plug a pedalboard into a Victoria or something that sounds fantastic on its own? Even my Deville sounds best all by its lonesome, turned up, and dialed in. Plus its so much easier to setup and have a consistent tone, as Erik said. Just a preference issue, not an either or. :)

And a Pro Jr.....to me that is a screaming little amp. Miked up close it can achieve incredible tone, or all by itself. I can't believe more people aren't into them! :)

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I play all acoustic at this time and have a very simple setup. Like Tedster, I have multiple instruments on stage. All that have pickups installed are plugged directly into the PA system and I may also run a mic on them. Obviously if one of the instruments does not have a pickup it's miked.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Since I don't play gigs, and I'm still learning electric guitar (30 year acoustic player), my setup is still very fluid.

1972 Martin D-18 w/ Seymour Duncan SA-1 sound hole pup, great clean set up with JC55

1980's Ovation Legend 12-string w/ electronics on-board

2001 Raven 1000Q (Korean H-S-H)

2003 Highway 1 Strat :love: (still at the store on layaway, out VERY soon)

1980's Roland Jazz Chorus 55W my MAIN amp until last year

1993 Randall Pro Tube II :love:

DOD 55 Supra - for that "over-the-top" distortion, $25 used

DOD 90 Delay - I got it for next to nothing, "thrown in" w/ DOD55 + S/H

BOSS 7-Band EQ, $20 used

Dulop Cry-Baby 535Q - new

I am still learning how to use the tube amp, so it's my main (only) amp used for practice. Also still learning to use the EFX's, so I just pick the one I'm in the mood for, if I can "crank it", and practice with that one for the day.

As far as what determines my purchases, it is most definetly MONEY. I bought the Martin when I was single, the Ovation and Roland JC55 before kids, and the rest since then. The two big exceptions to cheap, cheaper, cheapest where the tube amp and the Highway 1. I'm still getting %*&% about both, but they're worth it.

The amp especially was a tough purchase. Everyone on this forum said that what I needed to get the sound I wanted was a tube amp, and they were absolutely right. It ROCKS! :thu:

The problem was, all the tube amps that looked good, even on ebay, were $800 and more, once and a while maybe as low as $500 to $600, way beyond my self-imposed "budget" of $200. I finally stumbled accross the Pro Tube on ebay and it had everything I wanted; 50W, 2-channel, switchable bias between 6L6 and EL34, 1/3 Power switch and circuit breaker instead of fuse, all for "only" $350.

Here's the main reason that I posted here, since my setup is not overwhelming. Eric Clapton's setup. I was surfing at guitargeek dot com and saw a listing of the "100 Best Set Ups". EC, with Cream, was # 15. Here's his set up.

1960S GIBSON LES PAUL STANDARD

1960S GIBSON ES-335

1960S GIBSON FIREBIRD (single Mini HB, bridge)

1964 GIBSON LES PAUL / SG STANDARD

"Various" FUZZ PEDALS

VOX WAH-WAH

that's all folks.

I thought the interesting think, besides his VERY short EFX chain, was: Where's the Strat he's famous four? They're all Gibson's, two Les Pauls, a semi-hollow ES-335 and a FIREBIRD of all things. No Stratocaster. When did he start using the Strat. It wasn't with the Bluesbreakers, because his set up was listed for them too.

bluestrat,

It's hard to get fuzz out of a good amp (notice I said "good"). Therefore I see nothing wrong with a few pedals in front of my amp. Lots of other guys like to have the versatility that a multi-effects setup offers. I like a few effects, but for my main sound it's either a Fuzz Face or straight into my JCM 800 clone.
Slow hands seems to support your "simpler is better" concept. Come to think of it, this all goes back to the KISS principle, Keep It Simple, Stupid. I guess I'm still stupid.

Well, all that being said, I think I'll actually practice on the guitar instead of talking / typing about it.

Dave

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Originally posted by Dave th Dude:

Since I don't play gigs, and I'm still learning electric guitar (30 year acoustic player), my setup is still very fluid.

1972 Martin D-18 w/ Seymour Duncan SA-1 sound hole pup, great clean set up with JC55

1980's Ovation Legend 12-string w/ electronics on-board

2001 Raven 1000Q (Korean H-S-H)

2003 Highway 1 Strat :love: (still at the store on layaway, out VERY soon)

1980's Roland Jazz Chorus 55W my MAIN amp until last year

1993 Randall Pro Tube II :love:

DOD 55 Supra - for that "over-the-top" distortion, $25 used

DOD 90 Delay - I got it for next to nothing, "thrown in" w/ DOD55 + S/H

BOSS 7-Band EQ, $20 used

Dulop Cry-Baby 535Q - new

I am still learning how to use the tube amp, so it's my main (only) amp used for practice. Also still learning to use the EFX's, so I just pick the one I'm in the mood for, if I can "crank it", and practice with that one for the day.

As far as what determines my purchases, it is most definetly MONEY. I bought the Martin when I was single, the Ovation and Roland JC55 before kids, and the rest since then. The two big exceptions to cheap, cheaper, cheapest where the tube amp and the Highway 1. I'm still getting %*&% about both, but they're worth it.

The amp especially was a tough purchase. Everyone on this forum said that what I needed to get the sound I wanted was a tube amp, and they were absolutely right. It ROCKS! :thu:

The problem was, all the tube amps that looked good, even on ebay, were $800 and more, once and a while maybe as low as $500 to $600, way beyond my self-imposed "budget" of $200. I finally stumbled accross the Pro Tube on ebay and it had everything I wanted; 50W, 2-channel, switchable bias between 6L6 and EL34, 1/3 Power switch and circuit breaker instead of fuse, all for "only" $350.

Here's the main reason that I posted here, since my setup is not overwhelming. Eric Clapton's setup. I was surfing at guitargeek dot com and saw a listing of the "100 Best Set Ups". EC, with Cream, was # 15. Here's his set up.

1960S GIBSON LES PAUL STANDARD

1960S GIBSON ES-335

1960S GIBSON FIREBIRD (single Mini HB, bridge)

1964 GIBSON LES PAUL / SG STANDARD

"Various" FUZZ PEDALS

VOX WAH-WAH

that's all folks.

I thought the interesting think, besides his VERY short EFX chain, was: Where's the Strat he's famous four? They're all Gibson's, two Les Pauls, a semi-hollow ES-335 and a FIREBIRD of all things. No Stratocaster. When did he start using the Strat. It wasn't with the Bluesbreakers, because his set up was listed for them too.

bluestrat,

It's hard to get fuzz out of a good amp (notice I said "good"). Therefore I see nothing wrong with a few pedals in front of my amp. Lots of other guys like to have the versatility that a multi-effects setup offers. I like a few effects, but for my main sound it's either a Fuzz Face or straight into my JCM 800 clone.
Slow hands seems to support your "simpler is better" concept. Come to think of it, this all goes back to the KISS principle, Keep It Simple, Stupid. I guess I'm still stupid.

Well, all that being said, I think I'll actually practice on the guitar instead of talking / typing about it.

Dave

Eric Clapton started using Strats in his solo career, first on "Slowhand", I think. That would be about 74 or 75?

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

I finally stumbled accross the Pro Tube on ebay and it had everything I wanted; 50W, 2-channel, switchable bias between 6L6 and EL34, 1/3 Power switch and circuit breaker instead of fuse, all for "only" $350. Dave

Those are great amps, good purchase, and great price!!!!!!!!!
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

The reason I like my Line 6 Flextone 3 is because it is a MODELING AMP! That means that Line 6 took a bunch of old amplifiers from the 50s and 60s and looked inside to see what made them tick. Then they tried as faithful to the original sound as possible to create the sound the aprticular amp they wanted to emulate made. I know a lot of " amp purists" don't like it, but that is them! Not ME!

I have talked with OWNERS of some original equipment that is on the list line 6 was trying to emulate and they have told me that even THEY were very impressed with the way line 6 went about trying to emulate their original amps! So with that said, I have an amp that I can call up just about any tone I need in a given situation, add to that effects that can be turned on or off with a switch of a button. I LIKE effects and I DON'T apologize for that!

If I was in the 50s where reverb was the only thing I had, I would probably want to use THAT to it's full potential! I see nothing wrong with using effects or even a clean sound as long as it fits the music you are playing and is done tastefully. As far as effects go, I used to have a rackmount setup with all the effects you could imagine.....I had processors that could stack TEN EFFECTS at one time! But the reason I have simplified my setup since then, is because I figured out that you really can't USE all those effects at one time and if you try, it usually sounds like a TRAIN WRECK! So I am happy with one or two at a time! That is all I really use anyway! But If I ever DO decide to get another effects unit, I will probably use it sparingly! Because even the best efffects can get muddied up if you use them all at once or not at the right time! By the way, I also have a Fender 57 reissue stratocaster, it is not the original 57, but I don't have $20,000 to $150,000.00 to spend on a guitar either! Does that mean because it is not the "original" I shouldn't play it? Todays electronics have a lot over the older electronics, such as quietness when played through a PA. Would I love to have a Pre-CBS model fender strat? YOU BETCHA! But I am pretty much content with what I have.

"what I was referring to was the picker who doesn't use his amps natural overdrive or whatever and relies totally on a packaged tone from a pedal/pedal board. In this case, any amp with plenty of power would suffice. My thing is why plug a pedalboard into a Victoria or something that sounds fantastic on its own? Even my Deville sounds best all by its lonesome, turned up, and dialed in. Plus its so much easier to setup and have a consistent tone, as Erik said. Just a preference issue, not an either or.

And a Pro Jr.....to me that is a screaming little amp. Miked up close it can achieve incredible tone, or all by itself. I can't believe more people aren't into them!"

Geenard, I think we're actually on the same wavelength now! Again, yes, the Pro Jr. are incredible and hey, if people don't snap them all up, well, the more for us!

Furthermore, I sometimes play through a Budda Twinmaster (I forgot to put that one on my list -shame on me!), and except for a fuzz pedal, I don't like putting anything else into that amp other than the guitar.

Originally posted by alguit:

"what I was referring to was the picker who doesn't use his amps natural overdrive or whatever and relies totally on a packaged tone from a pedal/pedal board. In this case, any amp with plenty of power would suffice. My thing is why plug a pedalboard into a Victoria or something that sounds fantastic on its own? Even my Deville sounds best all by its lonesome, turned up, and dialed in. Plus its so much easier to setup and have a consistent tone, as Erik said. Just a preference issue, not an either or.

And a Pro Jr.....to me that is a screaming little amp. Miked up close it can achieve incredible tone, or all by itself. I can't believe more people aren't into them!"

Geenard, I think we're actually on the same wavelength now! Again, yes, the Pro Jr. are incredible and hey, if people don't snap them all up, well, the more for us!

Furthermore, I sometimes play through a Budda Twinmaster (I forgot to put that one on my list -shame on me!), and except for a fuzz pedal, I don't like putting anything else into that amp other than the guitar.

What a trip.....I've got one of those too!!!! :) I've got the head though.

Dr Taz,

Guitar: Ibanez RG560
I just found out at the Ibanez Forum that the one I had stolen was probably a RG600. Small world. Now I know what to look for and one of the guys over there even has one in the same color (whit w/ purple burst) for sale. Brrrrp! Sorry, GAS is acting up. :D

The one I had was a truly sweet guitar.

Dave

Originally posted by webe123:

The reason I like my Line 6 Flextone 3 is because it is a MODELING AMP! That means that Line 6 took a bunch of old amplifiers from the 50s and 60s and looked inside to see what made them tick. Then they tried as faithful to the original sound as possible to create the sound the aprticular amp they wanted to emulate made. I know a lot of " amp purists" don't like it, but that is them! Not ME!

This is why I love my ZOOM. Also, I like effects, though I use them quite sparingly. Mostly, it's just distortion, clean tone, wah, reverb and delay, and an overdrive box for solos/extra gain/more noise for me. Hey, we must be doing something right. :)

"Look ma, no tubes!" Fender Deluxe 85 manual

Dr. Taz,

I "hear" the solid state "emulations" are getting much better. This is usually the case when advancing technology is involved. I played a Flextone II in a store and the "Marshall" setting was very impressive. :thu: I don't know if I'm ready to give up tubes entirely though. :confused:

And I just got used to the tube "sound" from my tube amp. Now, after the Highway 1, the Hamer Sunburst and the RG600 ..... :D

Just kiddin' ... I think.

Dave the incorigible

Dr. Taz,

I "hear" the solid state "emulations" are getting much better. This is usually the case when advancing technology is involved.

Dave the incorigible

The red knob SS series my amp comes from was made in the late 1980's, well before any amp modeling stuff came out. It got great reviews from most of the guitar magazines. In some cases, it even surpassed some of its tube cousins. The Twin tube combo of that period comes to mind...got a lot of complaints from players. Some took to modding those for better tone, or maybe sold 'em for Boogie Mark II's and III's :) .

Just goes to show you, things aren't always as they seem...

might be a little late on this but oh well, my killer set up is a Ibanez GSA60 with a Crate MX65!!!....yea by now you should be able to tell im being sarcastic....serious on the gear tho(sadly. The one "good" thing i got tho is my Boss GT-6 processor. Hopin to get a new guitar along with a legacy half stack sometime soon, ive heard good things about it, any opinions?

My setup isn't the greatest either. I'm happy with my solid-state amp, but I hope to get a tube amp when I have money.

Jackson DX-10D (w/ Duncans) -> Boss TU-2 - Boss/Keeley DS-1 - Boss EQ - BF-3 Flanger - CH-1 Chorus - RV-3 Delay/Reverb -> Peavey Bandit 112

I do like all of my pedals, although I'd also like to get an EH Memory Man Deluxe. But that flanger is the best on I've ever tried.

Shut up and play.

My usual live setup:

1952 Les Paul -->

Vox Tone Bender fuzz box -->

Ernie Ball volume pedal -->

Echoplex -->

'65 Fender Pro Reverb.

Most times these days I use a Dr. Z Air Brake between the amp head and speakers, to attenuate my stage volume while still being able to crank up the amp and get natural overdrive.

I've been meaning to contribute to this thread for some time now, but never got around to it, well here goes,

Gibson Les Paul Std. & Fender Telecaster Std.

Fender Hot Rod Deville(Yellow Jackets & EL84's)

MXR-MicroAmp, DynaComp, and 6 band EQ

Line 6-Delay Modeler(DL4) & Filter Modeler(FM4)

Jim Dunlop 535Q Wah(Currently not working) :mad:

Boss TU2 Tuner

Roland Loop Station(RC20)

Also a THD Hotplate for master volume.

Obviously I am also a pedal head!

We are however currently rehearsing for an 'acoustic' show, so I'm just using my Martin D16GT through a Rare Earth Humbucker S'hole p'up, into the Hot Rod, with the EQ and Delay between the pre-amp and power amp. I've been surprised about how resourceful this stripped down set-up has been, the Line 6 Delay is an amazing pedal, the tape and filter echoes are inspirational, offering tonal changes that are not to be found in other digital delays I've experienced.

Glad to share this stuff with you all, though obviously it's not available for actual sharing... :D Just kidding, I'm in no way precious with my gear, it was made to be played, so play it.

Best Wishes, Tea. :cool:

Nashville tele, powerhouse strat, Gretsch jet jr for slide, and a Hot Rod Deville with 4 10's. Thats all I use most of the time. Every once in a while I'll bring out other amps, and maybe the 65 SG with p90s, but mostly its the above. It does well for what I do.

Don't forget... you need your favorite beverage! :)

For me? Usually a nice cup o' flavored java, Coke, juice or maybe even gatorade for the thrash fests. The energy drinks do next to nothing for me (or I haven't found the right one yet). I might have a beer, but only before a show, and only while I'm eating dinner a couple of hours before the gig.

Dr. Taz,

Don't forget... you need your favorite beverage! For me? Usually a nice cup o' flavored java, Coke, juice or maybe even gatorade for the thrash fests. The energy drinks do next to nothing for me (or I haven't found the right one yet). I might have a beer, but only before a show, and only while I'm eating dinner a couple of hours before the gig.

No, no, no. You don't get it. You're SUPPOSED to be drunk when you play. :D That way you don't remember how bad you sounded! :rolleyes:

Dave

Originally posted by EmptinessOFYouth:

might be a little late on this but oh well, my killer set up is a Ibanez GSA60 with a Crate MX65!!!....yea by now you should be able to tell im being sarcastic....serious on the gear tho(sadly. The one "good" thing i got tho is my Boss GT-6 processor. Hopin to get a new guitar along with a legacy half stack sometime soon, ive heard good things about it, any opinions?

Don't slam what ya got. If you can get decent tone with it, it's all good. The time will come when you'll acquire "better" gear. Maybe so, maybe not. And, someday, you'll look back on what you have now and think, "hey, I made some damned good music with that rig, I wish I still had it".

It's really all about what you can do with what you have that makes you a good player. There are wanks out there with thousands of dollars in gear that can't hold your gig bag. Realise that & "Run What Ya Brung".

You too Revolead... :thu:

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Fender Fat Strat (MIM) with FR trem

Digitech GNX3

Tech 21 Power engine (transparent amp - has no tone discoloration) which I run via XLR to the P.A.

Simple setup and fairly inexpensive but VERY effective!

Mike

Petting Hendrix

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head by an iron boot? Of course you don't--no one does--that never happens.

USA Fender Strat modded with humbucker in bridge

Import Hamer with two buckers

Ibanez Tube Screamer

Tech 21 GT2 (for metal dist.)

DOD EQ pedal 7-band (scooped mids, boosted other)

Hughes & Kettner Attax 200 combo (2x100watts)

Alesis Microverb in the FX loop of the amp

It's pretty complicated, it's a lot of stuff to lug, it gets a great sound in certain rooms and a fair sound in others. I'd love to have a Fender Blues Jr. for situations where I just need simple. Know what I mean?

Ibanez 540S >> MXR Phaze 90 >> Marshall JTM 60

I have an Alesis Microverb in the parallel fx loop.

I recently retired my Line6 Pod to a drawer. I used it for years and neglected the Marshall. I'll keep it around but it's time to start working on my sound.

Playing the Marshall on anything above 7 is sweet although I'd like to add a Z Air Brake or some such to the chain so things stop rattling off shelves.

bill johnson

elferoony,

Simple and clear is good. See my previous post about Eric Clapton's efx "chain". It's one or two efx, a LP/335/SG and a Marshall stack. That's all.

KISS, Keep It Simple Stupid (and I include myslef in the "stupid" category :D ).

Dave

Archived