Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best soloist on any inst....

DIAMOND DUST

Now i know it's all a matter of personal taste, but i was wondering who you listen to for insperation, that does not play guitar. My fav is "COLTRANE". The way he blows on "My favorite things", is beyond me man. "While my lady sleeps", After the rain", "Violets for your furs", and "soul eye's", are just a few of his songs that leave me in awe. I think god singled him out to show us what is possible. Also "Kieth Jarrett" knocks me senceless too. :freak::confused:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By in large I don't get my inspiration from guitar players. Coltrane is right at the top of my list too. Also:

Chick Corea. His improvisations are so perfect. Not a note out of place. Brilliant use of dynamics, space. Everything seems perfectly balanced to me. When I think of the ideal musician I think of Chick.

Pianist Gonzalo Rubacalba is is technically mind boggling when you hear him with his Cuban groups. He's not so convincing when he plays straight ahead jazz. He doesn't swing quite "right". But when he's playing Cuban jazz with his compatriots, forget it.

Dave Liebman on soprano has re-defined Coltrane's modal excursions brilliantly.

Phineas Newborn jr on piano. There are just a few recordings he made but most of them, done at least during his prime, are priceless.

Art Tatum - Forget it.

Keith Jarrett for his lyricalness and plain audacity.

Micheal Brecker - again, post Coltrane jaw dropper. Impeccable time, from swinging 8ths to funk, Trane chromatic festivals.

Oscar Peterson - every now and then I have to freshen up on him. Swings like no one else. Turns everything into a bluesy, fast paced swing-a-thon.

Freddie Hubbard - asshole but what a great player.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

i'll have to completely agree about Art Tatum and Oscar Peterson for non-guitarists.

i'd have to go with Django for guitar. maybe not as an "overall" guitarist, but my favorite soloist because there is still an element of surprise to his stuff 70 years later.

cool thread.

So far, I agree with everyone's picks. Coltrane without a doubt. Chick Corea and Oscar Peterson are my two favorite pianists. I had the chance to see Oscar several times, especially back in the 70's with Joe Pass and also with Count Basie. I also love Sonny Stitt, Sonny Rollins, Joe Lovano, there's just too many...

Paul

I love listening to Glenn Gould pound on those keys. Miles Davis, of course, and his use of space in his solos.
"I look for whatever will cut the deepest... whammy bars and wah wah pedals can't be used as just gimmicks. They have to reflect and express your feelings." - Jeff Beck

Tie between:

John Coltrane - I can't add to what's been said above.

Otis Spann - IMHO the greatest blues piano player who ever lived. He was the heart and soul of the Muddy Waters blues band during its peak years and an absolutely masterful soloist and accompaniest. Otis had more soul in one fingertip than most of us have in our whole body.

Originally posted by DIAMOND DUST:

"My fav is "COLTRANE". The way he blows on "My favorite things", is beyond me man."

You said it, man.

In a different way, I also love to hear Miles Davis play with that "little boy who's lost" sound. There's always a little winter wind or cool Summer-night's breeze blowing around those notes of his, and they really were his...

When I saw Brand X play in a small club once, their bassist- I believe his first name is Percey, don't remember his last- did some things that definitely were beyond mere mortals, as far as sheer physical technique goes. Extreme fretless! Gotta give an honorable mention to Les Claypool here, too.

I once saw David Torn play an entire night "solo", and that was killer!

Yo-Yo Ma's playing on the score for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is so achingly beautiful, it is just as crucial an element of the film as anything else. Much of the same can be said of Ihtzak Pearlman's sweet, sad playing for the score of Schindler's List.

I've gotta add Jimi Hendrix's solos on All Along The Watchtower, and, Stevie Ray Vaughan's performance at a show I attended at Cornell University on the Soul To Soul tour.

And who can forget that Greg Brady kid as "Johnny Bravo", doing that "Beanstalks" song?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Howlin' Wolf kicked ass on blues harp. John Popper is a great harp player, but Wolf just put so much more soul in his playing.

Les Claypool never ceases to amaze me on bass.

Tim Alexander of Primus is probably the best drummer I've ever heard, Neil Pert and Danny Cary of Tool get special mention.

Brian Setzer's whole orchestra was awesome on "The Dirty Boogie" CD. I really like his drummer too.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

You know, I forgot to add Cassandra Wilson... man, can she sing! I don't know if that quite counts as a "soloist", but, man!

Same goes for Billy Holiday.

And, yeah, you're right, funk_jazz, Django's da man. And, we share the same birthday- how cool is that?

Originally posted by Stratbeatle:

Well, how about Andres Segovia, Julian Bream, John Williams and Christopher Parkening on Classical Guitar

I think classical guitar counts as guitar. ;):P

Now i know it's all a matter of personal taste, but I was wondering who you listen to for insperation, that does not play guitar.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Bill Evans piano work on "Kinda Blue" Mile s Davis particularly his solo on "All Blues"

Jerry Douglas, anything he does on his Resonator Guitar.

Victor Wooten

Frank Zappa, "Shut Up and Play Your Guitar" some of the best guitar work ever...

overheard street personality on Venice Beach "Man, that Bullshit is Bulllshhittt...."

Re my playing Nuages by Django last night in a tribute to him I assume -

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite, who 8 the Pilgrims.:

Henry, you're a class act!

Thank you! Yeah, well we also played "Bend It" by Terje Rypdal and "Ting Ning" by Nguyen Le. Yeah baby! As I said, it was a blast!

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Originally posted by dougsthang':

"Bill Evans piano work on "Kinda Blue" Mile s Davis particularly his solo on "All Blues"

Jerry Douglas, anything he does on his Resonator Guitar.

Victor Wooten

Frank Zappa, "Shut Up and Play Your Guitar" some of the best guitar work ever..."

Oh, yeah! How could I have forgotten to bring up Bill Evans on "All Blues", amongst my very, very favoritests!!

I saw Victor Wooten with Bela Fleck once, at an outdoor show (in a vinyard, of all places!). We were sitting in the grass near the sound board, and someone stepped on a friend of mine's hand; we looked up, and it was Victor! Man, he was so embarrassed, he just kept apologizing over and over! He was a real nice guy, and really tore it up all afternoon. Great player!

Yeah, Frank Zappa's work on "Shut Up..." is indeed stellar. Perhaps the best examples of his guitar playing.

I am woefully lacking, in not having heard much of Jerry Douglas' Dobro work; though his reputation has made me aware of him by name.

That reminds me, I should have mentioned Sonny Landreth before... man, if his slide-work on "Congo Square" doesn't do something to ya, yer already a victim of voodoo! Man, even just his incandescent tone...

Clarence White on B bender or flattop.

Bela Fleck on banjo

David Grisman on mandolin

Albert Lee on anything with strings

Jerry Douglas on dobro

Sonny Landreth on slide

Stanley Jordan on guitar

Stanley Clark on bass

David Lindley on anything with strings

I don't know about horns and such.....it ain't what we call rock n roll.... :)

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Current favorite is Yo Yo Ma. I had heard the name for years but had never checked him out. Well, I was flipping channels one day and came across him on get this, Mr. Rogers Neighborhood.

His playing and his tone were breathtaking. He talked a little about music, and was very open and down to earth. I have a few albums now and just can't get over how great his tone is. The cello can sometimes sound raspy to my ears but not when he plays it.

My other guy I am into now is Glen Gould.

Some really great names here!!

I'll add two that I'm sure nobody will recognize:

Sam Herman - hammer dulcimer player for the Critton Hollow String Band.

Beth Patterson - bouzouki.

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Originally posted by NMcGhoul-tar:

Some really great names here!!

I'll add two that I'm sure nobody will recognize:

Sam Herman - hammer dulcimer player for the Critton Hollow String Band.

Beth Patterson - bouzouki.

Joemy Wilson on Hammered Dulcimer and Mountain Dulcimer

Jean Ritchie on Mountain Dulcimer

David Schaufner on Mountain Dulcimer

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Archived