Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Signature Guitars. Is that really important when you buy a guitar ?

Gato

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I liked a given guitar, and "needed" it, regardless of the "signature" status, I'd buy it.

After so many years, we seem to have stopped classifying the pre-eminent (but not the first) "signature guitar" as such, the venerable Les Paul...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

For instance... I REALLY lust for a Jimmie Vaughan Strat.. I love the neck, the PUPS and the Price... the fact that it has a decal with his name just makes it a little nicer,...but if I could buy the same config without it - I'd do it in a second (not talking bout Custom shop here - I mean it IS a Mexican strat)
Lynn G

I'm probably not buying anyone's signature model because of the cost. Iron Maiden had a signature model strat that I really liked, and I'd buy it even without the "eddie" logo on it. I'd change the pickguard first, from mirror to a moto green. :)

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Oh, yeah! I've liked the several Fender "SRV" Strats that I've played, but I'd definitely replace the pickguard with a vintage-y "mint green", as well as Graph Tech saddles and a custom made heavier, more Kahler-like bar (just the handle). I actually don't care for someone else's name plastered all over my guitar, thank-you, Les Pauls not withstanding! The worst is when it's an inlay on the fretboard!

I have a Jerry Horton Papa Roach model Schecter guitar. I immediately sanded his name off the back of the headstock and then sanded the stupid dead roach off of the front of the guitar. It now has a nice tung oil over mahogany finish on the front w/ black sides and back and white binding.

Hey you white boy there

Go play that funky music

"ok...what's it pay?"

first smoke, then silence

your very expensive rig

dies so gracefully

Originally posted by Dances With Werewolves:

Oh, yeah! I've liked the several Fender "SRV" Strats that I've played, but I'd definitely replace the pickguard with a vintage-y "mint green", as well as Graph Tech saddles and a custom made heavier, more Kahler-like bar (just the handle). I actually don't care for someone else's name plastered all over my guitar, thank-you, Les Pauls not withstanding! The worst is when it's an inlay on the fretboard!

Well, I probably wouldn't change the SRV pickguard if I had a Stevie model strat. I don't think anyone would mistake me for a Stevie wanna-be anyway! I think the black pickguard with white pickup covers looks sharp! :thu: I don't like the mirror guard because it'll

show fingerprints and smudges too quickly, and the green pearloid looks cool on the black body! I'd either do that, or go with purple or blue moto. I like the moto pickguards Fender sells. Really cool way to dress up a Strat. :thu:

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Originally posted by Dances With Werewolves:

The SRV model is pretty cool, and I wouldn't mind having one of them, but I would definitely change the pickguard. I would want to put on one that matched the original, but I would be just way too embarrassed to have the "SRV" on there unless I could play like Stevie.

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

There are two versions of the Zakk Wylde model: one from Gibson, and the other from Epiphone. They're both equally hefty in weight, and the Epi uses passive EMG's. There's a bit less top end to the sound on the Epi, but the hardware is quite good, and is definitely roadworthy. You might need to get some straplocks or a chain strap like Zakk's, though, to complete the package either way. :)

Originally posted by Green657:

A while back, there was a Rick Springfield signature guitar.

After that I lost all faith in sig. guitars.

Haahaaahaa, Greeney! My man in Albany. You didn't care for that $3,000.00 Yamaha Pacifica?

gato- if I could get the same guitar as a "sig" model that I liked, without the "sig", for less money, I'd be onnit like vomit!

Well, the name normally means more cash. So you can defeat the cash issue and just get a Tshirt with your hero's name on it, and play a standard unit. :)

Seriously though, I don't see those guitars as being a better guitar, just the same guitar with a name on it, for more money. Case in point.....The Texas Special.....same exact pickups and body/neck wood as the SRV, cept about five bills cheaper. I think the Special looks better too. When I see someone walk onstage with a SRV, I automatically cringe, knowing I'll have to sit through a Tab'd out version of Pride and Joy. :)

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

I've lusted after many guitars, some with a famous person's name attached.

But I've never desired a guitar because of the signature status. I have, however, checked out guitars because of the endorsement. And that, I think, is the point of signature endorsements. To attract interest.

It's not like I expect to sound like EVH when I pick up a Kramer Pacer or a Wolfgang. I can't be SRV just because I play his strat, nor Jimmy Page, Steven Tyler, Peter Frampton, or Zakk Wylde by playing their signature LP's.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by Geenard:

"Case in point.....The Texas Special.....same exact pickups and body/neck wood as the SRV, cept about five bills cheaper."

Does that also have the same exact neck-shape, 12"-fretboard radius, and Pau Ferro fretbaord? Just wondering; if so, the Texas Special must be a lot of axe for the money!

Oh, and if i had an SRV sig model Strat, I'd perform the changes that I mentioned previously, and mostly play my interpretation of "Lenny", at home. If playing out came up, I'd play mostly originals on that toboggan!

I can only recall two sig guitars that I have ever seriously considered buying - The Eric Clapton Strat because of the mid-boost electronics that make it totally unique and the Robben Ford model from Fender just because it is just such a cool guitar. I take it back... I did buy the Joe Pass signature Epiphone because it is a really nice guitar for the money. I took off the pickguard with his signature and would do the same with any other sig guitar I owned. I'm not them.

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

It's not like I expect to sound like EVH when I pick up a Kramer Pacer or a Wolfgang. I can't be SRV just because I play his strat, nor Jimmy Page, Steven Tyler, Peter Frampton, or Zakk Wylde by playing their signature LP's.

Mmhmm. When I played thru the Epi Zakk, I didn't use any distortion at all. I played clean through a Marshall TSL60 combo amp at Manny's in NYC, and also unplugged. It really is a brighter sounding instrument, thanks to the maple neck. I'm finding myself doing this more and more, playing clean to test out a guitar.

Definitely a hard rock machine. No wonder he hits the weights hard (aside from his beer drinking exploits).

Originally posted by reachjkh:

I have a Jerry Horton Papa Roach model Schecter guitar. I immediately sanded his name off the back of the headstock and then sanded the stupid dead roach off of the front of the guitar. It now has a nice tung oil over mahogany finish on the front w/ black sides and back and white binding.

One question - Wouldn't it have been easier and cheaper to buy a C-1 and add SD pickups to it?

I wouldn't buy a signature model guitar and then alter the finish and stuff. If the guitar seems that interesting to me, I'd probably look for its parent model (which more than often exists) and then alter the guitar from there. For instance, I'd buy a C-1 and put a Jazz in the neck and a Distortion in the bridge. Why pay for something you dont have to?

Shut up and play.

not really into signature guitars for the status of the signature. only would consider if it was the only way i could cost effectively get certain options. a prime example would be a YJM strat, if i wanted these features it would be less hassle to by one than create one. what i would really want though would be a usa yamaha custom pacifica with flame top and hum sing hum pickup configuration with a floyd. i always loved these. maybe someday. i will post a link if i can find one.

i found this on ebay but never had the funds at the time :(

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2561774089&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

If the artist whose signature is on it had a substantial hand in developing the guitar, and it doesn`t have just a minor addition or alteration, I would at least consider it. I mean, `signature` is a misnomer unless it`s personally signed by the artist, as far as I`m concerned. But I do like the John Petrucci model from Music Man. Seven strings as an option, peizo pickup, stereo cable jack. Cool finish too.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Originally posted by revolead:

One question - Wouldn't it have been easier and cheaper to buy a C-1 and add SD pickups to it?

I wouldn't buy a signature model guitar and then alter the finish and stuff. If the guitar seems that interesting to me, I'd probably look for its parent model (which more than often exists) and then alter the guitar from there. For instance, I'd buy a C-1 and put a Jazz in the neck and a Distortion in the bridge. Why pay for something you dont have to?

This is what I did, but on the bootay side. ;) I once tried looking for a Yamaha John Myung sig bass brand new, but got a RBX765A instead. Similarly built, minus the mid control for the active preamp, and the high C string. No wonder some people think I am him. :D

I should also mention that some signautre guitars are worth it simply because another model doesn't exist like it. For instance, the Ernie Ball Music Man John Petrucci.

And some guitars would be impractical to try to replicate by self-modding. Exhibit: Scalloped fretboard on Malmsteem's sig Strat.

Other than that, I agree, signature guitars are collector's items.

Shut up and play.

Originally posted by reachjkh:

Yes, you are correct. It would be easier, and I would have much rather done that, but this guitar was given to me. I had to do something with it. They ruined a perfectly good black paint job when they put that on there.

I may have to take the neck down to raw wood too. This is a very sterile feeling guitar, but I'm working on it

Hey you white boy there

Go play that funky music

"ok...what's it pay?"

first smoke, then silence

your very expensive rig

dies so gracefully

I love sig guitars and between myself and my band we have a few ....

Washburn N4 - Nuno Bettencourt Sig. Model

Fender MIA James Burton Tele

Fender MIA Buddy Guy Sig.

Fender MIA Roscoe Beck Bass - Shoreline Gold

All fine guitars in their own field.

No need to sand, overpaint, etc...,I have no problem with the artist signature on the the headstock or whatever in any case from afar this is not seen.

I don't expect to play like any of them when using these instruments but I do think that Sig. Model Guitars have features and sounds not found on other models.

My Washburn n4 for example was designed by Nuno....and has his specs, ditto for the others.

Ernie

www.eazi-k.com/guitar

If in doubt leave it Out !

Future endorsements not with-standing

;) I'm not a fan, other than the original Les Paul, I believe Signature guitars to be almost... tainted(?) Not the right word I'm sure, it just seems such a personal thing, similair in some ways to my girlfriend having some other guys name tattooed on her back!!!

Not the kind of encouragement I need. Of course, if the guitar is desirable enough, then I'd consider laser surgery. Best Wishes, Tea :thu:

I should also mention that some signautre guitars are worth it simply because another model doesn't exist like it. For instance, the Ernie Ball Music Man John Petrucci.

http://www.ernieball.com/musicman/instrument_images/971/971-09-26-00.gifhttp://home.comcast.net/~jvram2/headbanging.gif:love:

Archived