Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Home Recording 101

antimatter

I'm looking into recording at home. This coincides with a Computer purchase. How convenient! I guess I'm looking for recommendations. First off, I've always owned/worked with PCs. What are the cons to buying a Mac? I know people are loyal, but I'd appreciate a semi unbiased opinion; if there is such a thing.

What's about the Sound Card/recording accessories? I'm sure to get loads of memory and one of those great big HDs. It's the little overlooked stuff that I'm wondering about. Any recommendations would be great.

Thanks

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Dave th Dude:

Do you intend to do any HEAVY graphics publishing?

If not, do not consider the Mac. If so, I hear it's the only way to go.

Dave

That used to be the case, but I don't think that's been true for a few years now. A P4 PC with a Gig of RAM can handle any graphics program you throw at it.

I think it's more important for you to decide first what software you want to use and what audio interface card. Those two may dictate which OS you have to use. Otherwise, since you're comfortable with a PC, stick with that.

Many software manufacturers offer downloadable demos of their product. This is the best way for you to find out which you like best for your needs/wants.

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

Originally posted by Rimpire:

I think it's more important for you to decide first what software you want to use and what audio interface card. Those two may dictate which OS you have to use. Otherwise, since you're comfortable with a PC, stick with that.

Unfortunately, I develop software for a living. Rimpire is dead-on with this advise. If you want to use ProTools, then get a Mac because PT was developed on a Mac for Macs. Sure, there's a PC version available, but it doesn't work the same/as good. If Sonar or some other app that was developed for the PC is your plan, then get a PC.

ProTools is a great software package for recording, but its not cheap. IMHO, there's more offerings for PCs.

In an effort to improve the responsiveness of e-mail for everyone, the e-mail servers will be out of service.

We are hopeful that this change will improve the performance of e-mail.

Thank you all. I'll probably stick with a PC, but I'm gonna chill on it for a few months. I figure the 64 Bit machines should start popping up and make the OLLLLD 32 bit machines pretty cheap.?. I'm gonna get one of those Digital 8 tracks in the mean time. Geenard mentioned Tascam, and Boss has a cool one...Korg?

Archived