Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

If I could have just one amp...

AmmielLoDebar

Hope the topic got your attention. Anyways, I was wondering if any of you know of a very clean combo amp with the sole purpose of amplifing with one channel, solid state... like 40+ watts; 60 or so sounds good, other than that basically I just want a volume setting. I want this bescause I for one want something for the right price since it's all I will need as an amp. Anyways, I want to have my pedals go to an amp for my tone, I don't even believe I need a 3 band EQ, but if there was one it's fine.

Anyone heard of anything like this, maybe with 1x12" or 2x12" speakers?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome, If you just want clean, uncolored sound the Tech 21 Power Engine 60 will do that at 60 watts. I've seen some pretty good deals on ebay.

Jamie

But never fear, you're safe with me... Well maybe. - Les

Alright.. so then my stomp boxes would be considered as the preamp then, right? I'm not sure if you would be able to answer this, but have you heard it is sensible for use with rock or metal?

And does anyone else have suggestions? I want to find what would be best.

I use a Peavey Bandit 112 with effects boxes that sounds good. For solid-state clean the amp is great, but I want to switch to tube, so I want to get rid of it one of these days. Just need some money. Either way its made a great solid state amp for over a year, but honestly I'd go eith the Tech 21.
Shut up and play.

Originally posted by AmmielLoDebar:

Alright.. so then my stomp boxes would be considered as the preamp then, right? I'm not sure if you would be able to answer this, but have you heard it is sensible for use with rock or metal?

And does anyone else have suggestions? I want to find what would be best.

Yes, you can use your stomp boxes as the "preamp" with the Tech 21 Power Engine. Works great for rock, metal, jazz, etc. I tried one at Sam Ash when I was testing the ZOOM GFX-5 multiFX unit. Great little cab for 60 watts. Check out the Tech 21 website for more details.

Originally posted by Dr. Taz:

Yes, you can use your stomp boxes as the "preamp" with the Tech 21 Power Engine. Works great for rock, metal, jazz, etc.

I'm considering the same route. So would anyone actually recommend dropping the preamp in favor of stomps? (Depending on what they are, I suppose. I have an EBS compressor on my board; would that help do the job?) I'm a poor college kid, and anything I can avoid buying would be good. Maybe I'll add a SansAmp or something to my pedalboard later when I have more cash...

For the money, the Hot Rod series are probably the most versatile gigging amps I've seen out there. I'd like to have the Hot Rod Deluxe, but until I find one used......I'll wait. I have the Hot Rod Deville with 4 10's, and its a great club amp. Great clean tone, good overdrive if you dial it in right, and a boost for leads. Nice reverb as well. And those amps go used for what you can buy a brand new solid state whatever for, or cheaper. So, to me thats a better deal...... :)
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Archived