Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stupid Question #300394885768299.2 and a half

jaded

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, after 300394885768299.2-and-a-half, you must be jaded!

I think that it is possible, but probably highly impractical. Trem-equipped Strats (you are talking about Strats and/or Strat-styled axes, right?) are routed for the bridge assembly, springs, etc., leaving a mighty big hole there; the "hardtails" have string-ferrules like a Tele, where the strings pass through the body from the back. A trem's "inertia block" fills in to anchor the strings, where there would be wood in a hardtail. Unless you put a top-loading bridge assembly on there, you'll have to figure out some way to anchor the strings, or fill in all that "missing" wood and drill for the ferrules.

A well blocked-in trem achieves all this quite practically, and preserves the inherent shimmery, mechanical "reverb"-like effect that the springs impart to the tone.

That's my two-cents, anyways!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Right. That makes sense. My problem is I really like the Ibanez RG370's but they have trems and I don't know if I want to mess about with a trem 00 blocked or unblocked. My only other option is a RG321 which has a hardtail but no stores around here carry them for me to try out and it would take 20-30 days plus a downpayment for them to get one in. But I really like the RG370's HSH pup config. I just hate the trem.

I feel so confused.

Still searching for my 2nd axe. Grr.

Well, do you like the feel- without using the trem- of the RG370? Is the bridge, if it were stationary, comfy enough for your hands?

If so, ask them at the store if they'll properly block in the trem for you, free-of-charge with purchase. That is, if they're competently capable, or they have someone qualified that they farm out such jobs to.

-Just so you know, Eric Clapton doesn't use the trems on his Strats, but he doesn't like the sound of a hardtail Strat, either. (Obviously, he could afford any damn guitar he wanted, custom made, retro-fitted, whatever.) So he has the trems blocked in on his Strats, to preserve that almost reverby-ringiness through the springs.-

Is this RG321 otherwise the same as the RG370? If you're sure about the guitar, but can't hang with the trem- blocked or otherwise- offer this deal to the store: put down the down-payment, and promise to buy one of the two, if they'll order the RG321 hardtail for you to compare to the RG370 trem-equipped axe. If they won't do that, or block in the trem for free if you buy the RG370, then they're not worth doing business with.

That is a great idea DWW! I will do that. And while I'm there I'm going to try out the Epi LP's again. If that stupid girl from the Donna's can play one then so can I. Maybe I just need to get used to the neck. We'll see...

*instert dramatic music here*

Jaded,

Instead of buying a new guitar or blocking it's trem, my suggestion is to install a Tremsetter which will provide the best of both worlds (i.e. fixed bridge stability and intonation plus trem flexibility).

Despite all you hear and read about adjusting standard trems for stability, the basic problem is the inherently unstable design of the unit. The concept of string tension pulling on Trem spring tension to reach an equilibrium usually does not work reliably. The solution I've gone to on all of my Strats is to install a Tremsetter.

The Tremsetter is a tremolo stabilizer, which replaces the middle trem spring and installs easily. The Tremsetter operates like an adjustable shock absorber, which when properly adjusted, keeps the guitar in tune. The costs is $50 and are available from Hipshot Products (hipshotproducts.com). This provides the best of both a trem and fixed bridge guitar. The guitar bridge with the Tremsetter operates more like a fixed bridge and enhances both tone and sustain as well as the tuning stability of the guitar. I have installed them on all my trem guitars and they work great. The Tremsetter is a tremolo stabilizer, which replaces the middle trem spring and installs easily. The Tremsetter operates like an adjustable shock absorber, which when properly adjusted, keeps the guitar in tune. The costs is $50 and are available from Hipshot Products (hipshotproducts.com). They provide the best of both a trem and fixed bridge guitar. The guitar bridge with the Tremsetter operates more like a fixed bridge and enhances both tone and sustain as well as the tuning stability of the guitar. I have installed them on all my trem guitars and they work great.

I'll back Lancer up on that, the Tremsetter is a great product. As long as it's properly and correctly set-up, it performs damn near flawlessly and does all that it is supposed to. That is, if you want a floating trem at all.

Basicly, they pull and push on the trem, and provide a positive "zero point" to which the trem will be returned from being pushed flat or sharp by the player.

If the trem is to be set-up "flat" against the body, instead of "floating", it's kinda unnecessary, though.

Dances with Werewolves,

I read your response on setting up your trem bridge plate flat against the guitar body instead of floating. I personally don't recommend doing this for two reasons:

1. It tends to have a dampening effect on tonal vibrations which detracts from tone and sustain;

2. You will only be able to "down" trem (i.e. you cannot "up" trem). In my opinion, this is like having only half a trem.

I do agree with you on the Tremsetter as they really work.

Oh, I most definitely prefer a "floater", myself. But I've noticed that some guitars get more sustain, and a more robust tone, when set-up "flat" to the body. And, some don't. And many people- notably Ed Van Halen, prefer the flat-mount route, and the simplified tuning-stability that goes along with it.

Also, a Floyd Rose or Floyd-clone with the "D-Tuna" will not work right unless set-up flat to the body. When the "D-Tuna" is used to drop the low-"E" to "D", the whole thing would go out of tune, as the other strings' tension pulls against the slackened sixth-string. I don't think even a Tremsetter is up to that task... but, maybe , with lighter-gauge strings.

But, yeah, the Tremsetter works best the way it was intended to, on a floating set-up. And it works exceedingly well, I'll state again.

Archived