Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fender Les Paul !

Dave da Dude

I was just at a new guitar shop in town. It's even closer than the other one. My GAS is acting up again.

Anyway, on to the topic. I saw a "Squire LP type" hanging on the rack and had it pulled down and auditioned it. Sounds good. Plays good, real good. Sounds like a Les Paul (I couldn't do an A/B). Price? $329.00 ! It has Duncan Designed pups, 2 HB of course, (2) Volume, (2) Tone and 3-way switch. This one had a deep (in finish, not hue) royal blue finish. Very nice. :cry: , or I'll be in very good physical and guitar shape! :D

Dave

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

guitarzan, I am screwed! :rolleyes: I'll probably have the Squire LP on layaway by Halloween. :cool: Maybe I can convince the wife that it's for my costume?! :D

BTW, for everyone, the Squire LP type is what used to be Guild/D'Armico(sp?), being marketed by Fender as a Squire. I just looked it up on the Fender site, Squire M-70, 24 3/4" scale lg., mahogany body and neck. Sounds like a LP to me. The one I saw was in Moon Blue, much better looking in person. :love:

Dave

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Fender has quit making DeArmonds (another great value if you can find 'em) and is now labeling them as Squiers. Some models have been discontinued, but the Starfire semi hollow is still in production I think.

Hey it's just a sticker on the headstock, the factories actually make them quite well these days...

PPaul

[url=http://www.TiredIronBand.com

Fender Strat

Hamer Sunburst

Guild D-25

DeArmond Jetstar (Spel!)

Washburn HB-15C

Peavey C-30

blah blah ho hum etc etc

Believe it or not, I have 5 guitar stores within a mile of my house. I have no idea why. I live in a suburb of Denver.

1. Drum City/Guitar Land- Fender, Ibanez, Schecter dealer.

2. Guitar Guys- G&L, PRS, Marshall, Vox dealer.

3. A local used shop that I don't know the name of, but they have some cool stuff.

4. Olde Towne Pickin Parlor- all kinds of acoustic instruments.

5. Guitar Center- well you know...

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken...

My idea of a "Fender Les Paul".

I'd change the pickups to a SD 59 7 in the neck, and a SD JB 7 in the bridge. Then I'd have the pickup switching wired like this guitar\'s. After that, I'd have the nut, bridge saddles, and string trees (if necessary) changed to Graph Tech stuff, Sperzel locking tuners, and D'Addario XL's for 7 string, .010-.056.

That would be a nice 7 string I could take just about anywhere. It doesn't weigh as much as a Paul's, so it's easy on the shoulder when standing, plus you have the 7th string, which is great for fingerstyle and low tuned riffs.

I've had a "Fender Les Paul" for years.

Once it occurred to me that what I most liked about the Gibson guitars was their inherent sustain & what I thought was most significant about the Fender's tone was the pick-up array (especially the twist of the angled pick-up), I took a Les Paul Junior & had a Strat set put in.

BANG! The Apollocaster!

It's got the body-hugging shape & all.

Of course, Guild had a model (called the BluesHawk, I think) a few years later (late 1980s).

Archived