Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tell me about P-90s

DC

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see any reason why P-90's can't be mounted on a pickguard...

Here's a link to Reverend Guitars

http://www.reverenddirect.com/

THEY mount P-90's in this way on several of their models!

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

DC- I'm not sure exactly how Reverend mounts their P-90 styled pickups to the pickguard; they may use an adapter, or their's may be made for 'guard-mounting. They usually mount via two small machine screws, in-between the polepieces, that thread into metal inserts sunk into the wood.

Depending on the particular pickups, you may need to have those screws threaded into something that in turn mounts to Fender-style pickguard-mounting springs and screws, if you've just gotta have that type of mounting, with a screw on each side of the pickup. Sounds too complicated to me...

Center-to-center, the screw-spacing for both "normal" (read: Strat-styled) single-coils and humbuckers that are pickguard-mounted is three inches (3"). The cover for a Gibson P-90 is about three-and-three/eighths inches (3&3/8") wide.

It's a safe bet that most, if not all, of your current guitars have that three-inch screw-spacing for each pickup (of course, not counting old-style Teles). You would need to route much larger holes in the pickguard for the P-90's to fit, and that might not leave a whole lotta room before the edge of the pickguard, especially the neck-position on a Strat-stylee. So...

Since you'll have to enlarge the hole anyways, and probably have to route the wood underneath for the needed room as well, you may as well still use the standard mounting, meaning those two machine-screws and their threaded inserts. And not bother with screw-holes in the pickguard on either side of the pickup.

The good news is that they're still height-adjustable with a screwdriver.

They might have routing and hardware info for you at Stewart MacDonald, here's a link:

http://www.StewMac.com/

They're great folks with a lot of experience (and a lot of parts and supplies!). Dan Erlewine works there, so you know they have a top-flight team! They'll be fully able to hook you up all around.

I hope that you can get where you want to be with some soapbars, they're really great! Don't let my post discourage you, I wanted to provide you with some info that might help you avoid a few headaches here and there. Bestaluck!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

P-90's totally kick-ass! They probably don't work for nu-metal as well, but for nasty RnR such as AC/DC or ZZ Top type tones, and of course Mississippi Queen, they can't be beat! I even use them for Ozzy tunes in my band and they rule. I don't know why more people don't use them, maybe because they are noisy, but catch your vol control and don't worry. Seymour Duncan makes Phat cats which are humbucker shaped P-90's, and Rio Grande makes some also, the BBQ I believe.
Les Paul jr. 'nuf said

i must agree on the p90's, i always wondered about them but for some reason was hesitant. well i tried a godin LG and was bitten hard, they have the balls of a humbucker and the dynamics and sweet bite of single coils. i always thought they were noisier than they are. they definately aren't a one trick pony.i am in love ..

I've been playing P90's since the mid sixties, when I didn't even know they were P90's!!!!! Most modern pickers don't like em, because they're a bit too "honky" for them. But for me, they are the rock tone. No substitute for slide guitar either.....it is THE tone. :)
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Well of course P-90's are the last word in pickups for yours truly... IMO there's no other sound like them and no pickup that's as flexible. They really respond to your touch, amp settings etc. to get different tones.

To get the most out of them, use as few effects as possible. P-90's don't like too many things in the chain, they start to get muddy and it bulldozes over all those great subtleties in the tone.

yes they rock, however seeing i am new to these excellent pickups. is there a sweet spot that you (p90 lovers) set the pickup height to? mine are seymour duncan sp90's which i assume are not the hot overwound ones. i am crazy over the tones i am getting but sofar i haven't totally set the guitar up to my preferences yet.

Thanks for all the helpful advice everyone, specially DWW!

I'm adept at routing if need be and think I could sort putting a metal threaded bit in a body to accept the mounting screws, but these p-ups are alien to me. Do they come with the extra hardware, or are the replacement guys sold to people who already have a guitar with the mounting ferrals or whatever installed?

Also, who sells vintage strength P-90s that are closest to older Gibson made pickups?

Thanks again... :)

Off the top of my head, the ones in the Stewart-MacDonald catalog came with all necessary hardware. They carry Gibson P-90s, and possibly other brands of similar pickups. (DO NOT be fooled into buying the "stacked" hum-canceling P-100's, they suck!) Plus, I'm pretty sure that they have all of the required separate hardware- the inserts, screws, springs, etc.- already ready already, for sale.

Seymour Duncan makes a variety of P-90 style pickups, including a "vintage" model and, I do believe, an "Antiquety" model soap-bar. DiMarzio also has several P-90 style models.

Let me see if I can find a link to a "sound-clip" page for Seymour Duncan pickups that I've been to, I'll post back with it if I find it...

Ah yess, here 'tis...

http://www.SeymourDuncan.com/website/SDToneWizard/hummer.htm

Soundbites, alright, I won't pet'em! Wha'dyasay th'name o'this game was, gentlemen? G'way, kid, y'bother me... 'snot a fit night out for man nor beast!

Oh, yeah, here's a couple more Seymour Duncan/P-90 type links:

http://www.SeymourDuncan.com/website/products/antiquitydescr.shtml#p90

~and~

http://www.SeymourDuncan.com/website/products/customshop.shtml

Archived