Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Have You Ever Had A Guitar Stolen?

BiC

If so, you have found the place sing the blues about that experience... :cry:

Allow me to begin. I bought a Jap. Strat around 1986- black, tremlo, 1 hum, 2 singles, and a neck that would not stop! Man, that guitar was my "Lucille" :love: for about 15 years until my apartment was broken into a few years ago and she was taken from me. :( I looked through every local pawn shop in Charleston, SC, but to no avail... :rolleyes:

I still miss her... :(

Peace

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know... that was the point when I completely stopped playing electric guitar.

I found that my windows were unlocked from the inside. This told me they had planned on returning for my amps, PA system, and effects rack. I was just too nervous about having all my equipment at home so I decided to place all of it under a more secured "lock and key" at a local storage facility.

It was nice to move once my lease was up. :)

I've since given my PA as payment to the DJ's who did my wedding. Now, my Marshall is getting repaired, and I'm playing my acoustic through my Laney while awaiting the stork to deliever my new baby- a Washburn WI64. :wave:

Looks like my g'tar life will soon be back to normal... ;)

Peace

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Ooof that sure is a sad story. I luckily have never had anything like that happen to me since I still live at home with my parents. I would definately be very upset if something like that did happen tho.
"What's with these new bands, everyone knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact." -Homer Simpson

I had a 1959 Gretsch single Anniversary stolen from the trunk of a Rental car about 10 years ago in Los Angeles. They also got my gig bag with a few pedals and all my cables. It was an absolute heartbreaker. I had just finished having a complete rebuild done on the Gretsch a few weeks earlier. I replaced the Gretsch with a Gibson Herb Ellis ES165 that turned out to be the worst piece of shit lemmon I've ever owned.

I'd think that if you lived in an apartment, keep the volume down. You never know who's listening... :mad:

Also, I almost put a Fender bumper sticker on my car. That seems like it's be an invitation for a break-in.

Never had anything stolen. If so, that'd be a DEFINITE HEARTBREAKER. Sorry about your losses guys. A Jap Fender, LP, 64 Strat and a 1959 Gretsch!? Ouch! I'm feelin those... :cry:

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

Tedster,

A Les Paul Standard, a '64 Strat hardtail, and an Alvarez acoustic.
OUCH! :mad::cry:

I had a circa 1984 Ibanez RG-270 (or something like that). The body was all white except for a smallish grape purple burst in the middle of the top, rounded Strat shape. It had two active HB's, rosewood fretboard and played beautifully.

I bought it circa 1985. It was stolen in 2000, by "friends" of our foster daughter. Never recovered. I'm still p%$&^'d about it.

BTW, BiC, Charleston, SC :cool::thu:

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Sorry to hear about akll the lost guitar woes. I had 6 guitars stolen at one time out of my apartment. My roommate left the place insecure. But didn't matter. Junkies needed some money. I had a '67 SG Standard (I loved that guitar - it just had the best action!, '65 Epiphone Broadway, G&L, Heritage Acoustic, P-Bass, and sometihng I've forgotten.

I recovered the Epiphone luckily.

Good thing was it forced me to buy some better instruments. I bought a Gibsom ES-355 and a Les Paul Anniversary 25/50. I tend to stay with what I have. The only way I was going to replace those guitars was if I didn't have them any more.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Feature this:

The local VFW was having a benifit jam sesion for one of their members. The leader of a band that I occasionally jobbed with called me and asked to borrow my "smaller" PA speakers (Yamaha 15's with a horn) for the job. So I show up, help set up and end up jamming most of the evening (free drinks!). :D

I tear down the PA speakers and haul one out and set it on the curb, then go back inside to get the other one. Several people stop me to thank us for our help, so it takes 5 minutes or so to get outside again. I lug the other cabinet out and guess what - the 1st sppeaker is GONE. :mad:

We call the cops. They show up within a few minutes. We give the police a discription of the cabinet (It looks just like the other one) and one of the patrons comes over and says "I thought I saw a tan colored van pull away from the curb real fast.. in fact..THERE IT GOES NOW".

The police take off, pull the guy over, and there's my Yamaha cabinet.

The idiots came back for THE OTHER SPEAKER!

I also had a roommate steal a blonde Gibson Skylark, but the story is not as good.

"It's better to wear out than to rust out!"

Here you go...all stolen from my apartment in 1979:

1964 Fender Telecaster

1974 Tobacco sunburst Les Paul Standard (serial 99122692)

...and...ouch...

1967 Tobacco sunburst ES-335TD (near mint at the time except for one ding on the top edge...serial 103620)

Still hurts. And the local police basically treated me like some drug crazed hippy (they even asked if I was sure I didn't 'leave them somewhere'...thanks a pant-load).

Tom

http://www.digitalaudiorock.com

The Protools Plugin Preset Co-op

Oh the pain...back in 1981 had a Framus (I believe) hollow body 335 type axe, had it converted to left hand use. I stripped it down to bare wood and gave it a light natural finish. It was hanging in the storage area of the apartment drying, in pieces, and some low life stole it. That was 22 years ago, and I just bought a mexi-strat lefty back in March and started playing again! Oh to have those years back, but you can only look forward.

Bruce

I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

Originally posted by tld:

Definately...I have all my instruments, studio gear etc insured through MusicPro now. Well worth the expense.

Tom

That's wise for those who gig out a lot. But for those who do not, home insurance policies should suffice. Although I'm not familiar with MusicPro, I'm sure their coverage goes beyond theft, though. Let's say someone spills a drink on your pedal board while you are gigging. :P

I just wish that I had insurance at the time my Strat was ripped off.

Peace

Dr. Taz,

I think there are insurance companies that specialize in insuring musical instruments and related gear.

Like BiC said, your household insurance will cover it. It covered my Ibanez to the tune (pardon the pun) of $800, but unfortunately family priorities took over and I never (directly) replaced it. I gues I'll look at the Highway 1 Strat as it's replacement, $590.

Dave

Dr. Taz,

I think there are insurance companies that specialize in insuring musical instruments and related gear.

Like BiC said, your household insurance will cover it. It covered my Ibanez to the tune (pardon the pun) of $800, but unfortunately family priorities took over and I never (directly) replaced it. I gues I'll look at the Highway 1 Strat as it's replacement, $590.

Dave

skipclone1, re: axreg.com: I don't have the S/N of my stolen ax.

BiC, was it a Fender Jap Strat or a clone? I've got a 1983 Electra Phoenix Jap Strat, all black, that's a nice guitar. Maybe it's yours? I got it from a pawn shop in Rock Hill about two months ago.

Dave

Originally posted by Dave th Dude:

Dave

That sucks- anything of value that`s got a S/N folks, keep it in a little notebook, preferably with a photo.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Originally posted by Dave th Dude:

BiC, was it a Fender Jap Strat or a clone? I've got a 1983 Electra Phoenix Jap Strat, all black, that's a nice guitar. Maybe it's yours? I got it from a pawn shop in Rock Hill about two months ago.

Dave

It was a true Fender Jap Strat... black w/ white pickguard. 1 humbucker, 2 singles... tremlo (although I still have the tremlo bar). But who knows what mods may have taken place.

Thank you anyways, Dave. Appreciate it. :thu:

Peace

by skipclone1,

That sucks- anything of value that`s got a S/N folks, keep it in a little notebook, preferably with a photo.

Yeah. I know. :cry:

I kept all the info on that (and my other) guitar in the case! Real smart, huh? :o:mad:

I now keep them in a different location and have an Excel spreadsheet with all the s/n's, purchase date, purchase price and set-up.

I might still run across something from the store regarding the purchase or s/n or at least the model. The store has no easily accesible records. It was before their computerized records, and they are archived and/or do not exist. :mad:

I really liked the guitar. :cry: We (the store, my wife, and I) called it "Cream Cheese & Jelly".

Dave

For you guys that live in an apartment, get a healthy dose of renter's insurance. I've not had any musical instruments stolen, but I have had a tool box full of black powder and muzzle-loading equipment stolen from my parent's garage. :mad: This included my hand-made custom powder horn. :evil: Bastards.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

In my neck of the woods renters insurance won't cover it. Well it might be because I'm a professional musician. They don't cover musical instruments for professional use. I had to join the musicians union for that. And now that I've rejoined I haven't picked up the ins option again. Hmm.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

• 5 weeks later...
I pulled this one from the back page.. I loaned a guitar to a guy who was thinking about buying one and he kept it! It was a red Les Paul Jr. styled Lotus guitar (yeah, a piece of junk), and the guy's name.........Troy Gagliardo. Damn you Troy!!!!
Everybody knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact. - Homer Simpson

I loaned a guitar to a guy who was thinking about buying one and he kept it! It was a red Les Paul Jr. styled Lotus guitar (yeah, a piece of junk), and the guy's name.........Troy Gagliardo. Damn you Troy!!!!
YES!! :evil:

Archived