Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

overrated guitarist?

SF audio

Hey guys take it easy on carlos.love devotion surrender go's blow for blow with john mcglauthlin.

He's been doing this thing a long time,don't blame the man for trying to make a buck.We all wish we had that record deal,and commercial success.Oh!and that huuuuge catalog of music.

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
@demarc: Yes, Carlos Santana did indeed do "Europa"--the studio version appeared on an album whose title escapes me right now that came out around 1975 and, according to the media, marked Carlos' return from his foray into jazz back to Latin-infused rock, and there was also a live version on Santana's "Moonwalk" (I believe that was the title) album in 1977. The studio version of that song, in fact, featured what I consider to be some of the most passionate guitar work ever recorded.

Robert J. ("Bob") Welch III

"If you were the only person who ever lived, God still would have sent Jesus His only Son to die on the cross for YOU, because that is how much HE LOVES YOU!"

@demarc: Yes, Carlos Santana did indeed do "Europa"--the studio version appeared on an album whose title escapes me right now that came out around 1975 and, according to the media, marked Carlos' return from his foray into jazz back to Latin-infused rock, and there was also a live version on Santana's "Moonwalk" (I believe that was the title) album in 1977. The studio version of that song, in fact, featured what I consider to be some of the most passionate guitar work ever recorded.

"If you were the only person who ever lived, God still would have sent Jesus His only Son to die on the cross for YOU, because that is how much HE LOVES YOU!"

Yes Mr lone chicken moonflower was a great lp.

zappa overrated?Who ever said that on this tread

must be a drummer from another life.

(in my best fred sanford voice)

ARE YOU CRAZY!!!!!!!!

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Hey guys take it easy on carlos.love devotion surrender go's blow for blow with john mcglauthlin.
You mean John McLaughlin, of course... but Carlos has nothing like the depth and breadth of musicality that McLaughlin has. That's OK -- who does? -- and it's a cool record anyway, it's nice to hear Carlos reaching for it.

No one has mentioned what to me is some of Carlos' best recorded playing, with Weather Report on their last album This is This, on two songs that Wayne Shorter doesn't play on -- the title track and "The Man With the Copper Fingers."

Originally posted by DARKLAVA:

"Zappa overrated?Who ever said that on this thread

must be a drummer from another life.

(in my best fred sanford voice)

ARE YOU CRAZY!!!!!!!!"

I was just kiddin' around, just peek at my signature line (and, I've quoted Mr. Zappa a lot on this Forum in times past, before your arrival here). I love Frank's work, and was greatly saddened by his demise.

I must admit, though I do enjoy his soloing, that some fans are a bit too rabid about his "genius" in that baliwick. Well, he did hire "stunt guitarists" to play what he couldn't, didn't he?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Not exactly on topic, but my list of TOP players would definitely include:

Steve Lukather

Larry Carlton

Pat Metheny

Jon Herrington

Eric Clapton

Gary Moore

Now, this is really just a list of the guitarists I like the most. I have to admit that players like Steve Vai, Yngvie Malmsten, Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck etc. are/were undoubtedly extreordinary players. Their playing simply doesn't appeal to me all that much. Well... Jimi's very close to being on the list above, but not quite.

I haven't actually heard much of B.B. King, so I can't really say (beleive it or not).

-Joachim Dyndale

--------------------

Einstein: The difference between genius and stupidity is: Genius has limits

My Blog...

Originally posted by Teahead:

Kurt Cobain surely cannot be over-rated as a guitar player, wasn't he the guy who changed the face of guitar music in the most suddden and dramatic fashion since Hendrix?

I dunno about that... I haven't heard one good player in recent years that mentioned Cobain as an influence. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a great artist and songwriter. But on a technical level I don't think he's anything that you couldn't find at your local high school.

Originally posted by AlChuck:

Well, although Zappa played guitar...I don't think anyone really considered him a great guitarist.
???

A lot of people consider Frank Zappa a great guitarist.

Well, I suppose I should clarify... I thought it was more obvious what I meant. Not taking away from him as a guitarist, but I think more people thought of him in terms of his compositional skills more than as a player.

I personally didn't especially particularly care for his playing... but that's me. But I loved all his music, his humorously bizarre and satirical comments.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

A lotta "apples'n'oranges" here... but, I'm glad to see that we're all getting along pretty well, without any antagonism and flaming and all. Well, so far, so good... (there aughtta be a "crossed fingers" Graemlin in there).

At least this forum is a little more mature than most theology forums I've come across... :rolleyes:

Peace

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

I don't know. I wouldn't consider Santana overrated at all. To me Carlos doesn't play guitar- he makes music. Some of his later stuff may seem a bit "canned" but he's been around a long time and played some amazingly beautiful melodies. I've seen him live twice (before the supernatural and shaman albums) and it was a great experience. Just my opinion though.

I totally agree with someone's earlier opinion of Mark Tremonti being overrated. The guy's average at best but yet has his own signature PRS guitar!? Get over yourself bud....

I think Kirk is a bit overrated as well. People have been calling hime a guitar god since the 80's but I just don't get it. He's good and all but not in the same class as a lot of other guys.

Originally posted by BiC:

"At least this forum is a little more mature than most theology forums I've come across..." :rolleyes:

Oh, they'd love me! (No, no they wouldn't, at least not in practical application, if perhaps in principle...) ;)

Originally posted by AlChuck:

You mean John McLaughlin, of course... but Carlos has nothing like the depth and breadth of musicality that McLaughlin has. That's OK -- who does? -- and it's a cool record anyway, it's nice to hear Carlos reaching for it.

No one has mentioned what to me is some of Carlos' best recorded playing, with Weather Report on their last album This is This, on two songs that Wayne Shorter doesn't play on -- the title track and "The Man With the Copper Fingers."

:rolleyes: Please don't make me upchuck alchuck,

depth breadth,reaching,WOW! :freak:

Clearly the answer here (as in most all these lists) is whoever we like least (or best).

When discussion is called for (as in Ted's recognition that Frank Zappa may be an overrated guitarist---an opinion FZ himself espoused & one that stands the test when you compare his actual playing, which is florid but not very harmonically varied, with lots of less famous players), it's often shouted down by those who'd rather recite standardized opinions.

Next up? Probably DRAKALVA retypes CSWEROEGRGE... :rolleyes:

I did kinda like that trading cards idea...maybe we could get backjk to the old "battle of the bands" concept & score the onstage competition, too...?

Randy Rhodes- riffs were cool but the soloes just seemed pointless to me. He's fast but not clear, sounds like he is playing a technical exercise rather than music. This also applies to many other guitarists of that era. I love guitar players that are technically brilliant AND are playing music (Eric Johnson).

Originally posted by Gruupi:

Randy Rhodes- riffs were cool but the soloes just seemed pointless to me. He's fast but not clear, sounds like he is playing a technical exercise rather than music. This also applies to many other guitarists of that era. I love guitar players that are technically brilliant AND are playing music (Eric Johnson).

Really!? I don't get that at all from Randy. I think he was a great soloist. Yes he did a lot of modal stuff that could have sounded like exercises to you, be he was also very melodic and fluid.

Different strokes I guess...

Originally posted by D Man:

I haven't heard one good player in recent years that mentioned Cobain as an influence. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a great artist and songwriter. But on a technical level I don't think he's anything that you couldn't find at your local high school.

That's our misunderstanding D Man, I don't believe you can effectively seperate the many aspects of a gifted player. You either reach people, or you don't. The more you touch the more you're remembered. I could never define appreciation by technique, but we'll agree to disagree. Nice talking with you, Tea. :)

Originally posted by Lancer:

Steve Miller and George Thorogood

I've never seen Miller live, but saw several taped performances. He seemed to play more rhythm than anything else.

And yeah, Thorogood gets annoying after a few minutes.

I used to consider Jeff Beck as overrated. I mean, I liked him and all, and thought he was a cool player. But NOT worth the accolades he was recieveing.

But it seems that in the last five or so years, he's improved immeasuably. All you young guys on the forum take note: He's NOT your father's Jeff Beck!

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Originally posted by D Man:

Originally posted by Teahead:

Kurt Cobain surely cannot be over-rated as a guitar player, wasn't he the guy who changed the face of guitar music in the most suddden and dramatic fashion since Hendrix?

I dunno about that... I haven't heard one good player in recent years that mentioned Cobain as an influence. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a great artist and songwriter. But on a technical level I don't think he's anything that you couldn't find at your local high school.
What high school did you go to? Grab me one of those guitarists will you, I'm gonna start a rock n roll revolution when I find a guitarist as cool as K Cobain!

Archived