Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Phil Keaggy"

DIAMOND DUST

Being that Phil Keaggy has been my all-time favorite guitar player, dating all the way back to "What A Day", his very first solo album that he put out around 1975, I have very much enjoyed reading this thread. It has been said of him that he plays his guitar as though it is literally a part of his body, and I believe that that is a very credible way of describing the incredible gifting that God has placed upon him. My own favorite recordings by Phil are "The Master And The Musician" (1978) and "The Wind And The Wheat" (1987). Also worth mentioning: "How The West Was One" (1977), a three-LP album by the Christian vocal group 2nd Chapter Of Acts which included a breathtaking live set by Phil with a full band--the highlight was a 16-minute version of "Rejoice". And as great as he is in his guitar playing, he's also an excellent singer and songwriter, as well as a gifted minister of the Christian message. I have seen him live only once--back sometime in 1980 when he did an all-acoustic solo concert at Calvary Chapel of Costa Mesa in Santa Ana, CA. He has always seemed to me to be a very gentle and caring and humble person, never one to allow his incredible gift to go to his head but always intent to giving glory to God in the realization that all he does, he does by Him, and first and foremost for Him.

Robert J. ("Bob") Welch III

"If you were the only person who ever lived, God still would have sent Jesus His only Son to die on the cross for YOU, because that is how much HE LOVES YOU!"

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Speaking of finding God. Little Richard found God when he was touring here in the '50s. The Sputnik flew overhead (or it might have been Telstar) when he was out on a boat and he was convinced the world was going to end. He threw all his jewelry in the water right there on the spot and finished the rest of the tour preaching the word of God instead of playing rock n roll. People just thought it was part of the act! He didn't perform again for about 4 or 5 years! True story. :love:

Originally posted by henryrobinett:

And then there's Al Green.

Then there's KEITH GREEN! :cool: Although not a guitarist, a VERY GIFTED piano player/song writer.

But he was killed in a 1982 plane crash. :(

Peace

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Originally posted by Cereal:

phil would have done better if he let someone else sing. it kind of gets in the way of his guitar talent

I sort of agree... this is why I prefer his instrumental albums.

Peace

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Originally posted by aj2003:

I haven't read all the messages in this thread, so someone may have beaten me to the punch, but, when Jimi Hendrix was asked "What's it like being the greatest guitarist in the world?", he replied, "I don't know, ask Phil Keaggy".

One of the most mis-quoted song lyrics of all time ...." 'scuse me while I kiss the sky" what Jimi actually sang was "scuse me while I ask Phil Kea-guy" :eek:

Originally posted by GitSematery:

I haven't read all the messages in this thread, so someone may have beaten me to the punch, but, when Jimi Hendrix was asked "What's it like being the greatest guitarist in the world?", he replied, "I don't know, ask Phil Keaggy".

One of the most mis-quoted song lyrics of all time ...." 'scuse me while I kiss the sky" what Jimi actually sang was "scuse me while I ask Phil Kea-guy" :eek:
I'm on the look out for some guitar music to play in church - sounds like Phil Keaggy might be just the ticket. Are there any tabs available of his instrumental music suitable for us ordinary mortals to play?Either in the book form or even better - on the net? I'm looking for good arrangements of hymns and the like.

I'm on the look out for some guitar music to play in church - sounds like Phil Keaggy might be just the ticket. Are there any tabs available of his instrumental music suitable for us ordinary mortals to play?Either in the book form or even better - on the net? I'm looking for good arrangements of hymns and the like.
This may help:

KEAGGY

Peace

Sorry, I think that's nothing but urban legend. I've been hearing people say that for 20+ years, and have never seen it in an interview or any credible source. I would love to be proven wrong though. :)

Hey you white boy there

Go play that funky music

"ok...what's it pay?"

first smoke, then silence

your very expensive rig

dies so gracefully

Originally posted by reachjkh:

Sorry, I think that's nothing but urban legend. I've been hearing people say that for 20+ years, and have never seen it in an interview or any credible source. I would love to be proven wrong though. :)
Yeah, that seems odd to me too. Was Phil even known to Jimi in 1970 or before??? Highly unlikely since Phil did not break onto the scene until 1974 with his first officially released recording.

But ya never know! ;)

Peace

Originally posted by henryrobinett:

And then there's Al Green.

Oh, man, yes! How does he do it? (I must confess, my knowledge of his music is all from a double-CD "best of" from his secular years.) Man, guitar or not, whatever, that's some great music!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

By the way, weren't Phil Keaggy's earliest recordings with the band, Glass Harp (or Heart)? And, am I wrong in thinking that they were around during Jimi's time here?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

My favorite Keaggy cd is Crimson and Blue. I had a cassette copy but when I tried to order a cd I was told it was un-available at the local record store, luckily I was able to get a cd copy from contacting Keaggy's fan club. Even if you have to get a copy from the same place (in my opinion) it is well worth the trouble.
When in doubt, BEND IT!!!

@Dances With Werewolves: Yes indeed, Phil's earliest recorded work was with the three-piece (guitar/bass/drums) band Glass Harp, which put out three outstanding albums ("Glass Harp", "Synergy", and "It Makes Me Glad") in the early 1970's.

Robert J. ("Bob") Welch III

"If you were the only person who ever lived, God still would have sent Jesus His only Son to die on the cross for YOU, because that is how much HE LOVES YOU!"

Originally posted by Dances With Werewolves:

By the way, weren't Phil Keaggy's earliest recordings with the band, Glass Harp (or Heart)? And, am I wrong in thinking that they were around during Jimi's time here?

Yes, he recorded with Glass Harp in 1969.

Check out:

Discography

Peace

Originally posted by Blue Note:

My favorite Keaggy cd is Crimson and Blue. I had a cassette copy but when I tried to order a cd I was told it was un-available at the local record store, luckily I was able to get a cd copy from contacting Keaggy's fan club. Even if you have to get a copy from the same place (in my opinion) it is well worth the trouble.

You can get the CD right here without going through the fan club:

CD

Peace

phi; was one of those guys who notched it up playing live. i always liked his studio stuff (recorded on a tascam 8-track) but understood the "better than hendrix" comment after hearing him with 2nd c of a doing "Time". i believe he played a Les Paul, and had a Trower meets Frampton sort of energy.

i used to cop lots of riffs off of master/musician

The huge music store here in Rochester, the House of Guitars (aka the HOG) often sponsors instructional seminars as promotional events.

I got a flyer last night that annouced Phils appearance there ( I think its next week)

Boggs (or others in the area) may want to take the opportunity for a free opportunity to interact with Phil.

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

Archived