Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Phil Keaggy"

DIAMOND DUST

I don't know if Phil is popular with anyone here, but this guy can play! I think he's right up there with; Scofield, Metheny, or Carlton. I have an album called "The master and the musician", were he plays fusion and classical with great authority. I also have one called "The wind and the wheat", that is some really great finger style acustic. This dude's very skilled, someone who should go on your must hear list. Check out his tunes; "Fallow me up" and "The castle's call". :cool::thu:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once again, he's one of those Christian musicians who's not given much attention in secular music media circles, so the word doesn't always get out on the talent. I don't know why. I guess Christian musicians have been stereotyped to some extent by the secular media as to their songs being "turn or burn" tunes, or not "cool enough" since they are centered around God.

Although I have seen Phil advertized in some guitar magazines.

Phil is an excellent musician! :wave:

Peace :)

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Phil is a true role model in every sense of the term. He is as humble as he is fun as he is a spectacular musician and guitarist. You see him in concert and you'll be wishing he was a member of your family. He also has an effortless style and fluidity that defies description. Phil will give you the best concert you have ever participated in. Well, he's the one playing, but you become a participant. That's just how he relates. It is a very intimate experience. See Phil in concert if you get the opportunity. You'll understand. Boggs
Check out my Rock Beach Guitars page showing guitars I have built and repaired... http://www.rockbeachguitars.com

Monster player, but all due respect, I wish he'd be a bit more critical the next time he selects songs to put on his CD's. Some were just downright awful. I like some of the outtakes he occasionally puts on the CDs too. Great jams. His version of John the Revelator is killer.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Originally posted by BiC:

[QB]Once again, he's one of those Christian musicians who's not given much attention in secular music media circles, so the word doesn't always get out on the talent.[QB]

i don't think that is neccessarily true with phil, i read about him all the time in guitar player. i've never heard any mention of his christian affiliations.

i think he suffers more from being a stellar guitarist, and the market for stellar guitarists is pretty small.

it's almost standard for guys like him to be on small labels that don't have big market connections.

just my two cents.

Originally posted by funk_jazz:

[QB]Once again, he's one of those Christian musicians who's not given much attention in secular music media circles, so the word doesn't always get out on the talent.[QB]

i don't think that is neccessarily true with phil, i read about him all the time in guitar player. i've never heard any mention of his christian affiliations.

i think he suffers more from being a stellar guitarist, and the market for stellar guitarists is pretty small.

it's almost standard for guys like him to be on small labels that don't have big market connections.

just my two cents.

Yeah, like I originally said, "I have seen him in some guitar magazines."

:wave:

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Originally posted by henryrobinett:

I've been hearing about this guy for years. What CD should I pick up?

"Tis the season" for Phil Keaggy:

BUY

Peace

just my two cents.

BTW, I'm in the AF too. :thu:

Hey thanks guys. Now let me try and get yooz to narrow it down a bit. I'm more leaning towards the instrumental side of things. If you had one shot to turn somebody on to his work, which ONE CD would you recommend to a guitarist?

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Hey thanks guys. Now let me try and get yooz to narrow it down a bit. I'm more leaning towards the instrumental side of things. If you had one shot to turn somebody on to his work, which ONE CD would you recommend to a guitarist?

I like "Lights of Madrid" myself. But he plays so many differing styles. You can listen to sound bytes on all the links I've provided. Maybe this will help you a little. :)

Peace

Once again, he's one of those Christian musicians who's not given much attention in secular music media circles, so the word doesn't always get out on the talent. I don't know why. I guess Christian musicians have been stereotyped to some extent by the secular media as to their songs being "turn or burn" tunes, or not "cool enough" since they are centered around God.

Although I have seen Phil advertized in some guitar magazines.

Phil is an excellent musician! :wave:

Peace :)

Actually, I think (at least from my perspective) that Phil is kind of revered among all circles of musicians. If he doesn't get much attention, to me, it's for the same reason that other instrumentalists (although he does sing well) don't gain much notoriety. He's definitely a heavyweight talent. I saw him live years ago, and he tore the place up.

I especially admire his ability to either go out with a band and an electric and tear it up, or just solo with an acoustic and do the same thing.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

This is very true. I'm not even into jazz fusion, but his CD Cinemascapes is very good.
Shut up and play.

Originally posted by The Tedster From The Black Lagoon:

Actually, I think (at least from my perspective) that Phil is kind of revered among all circles of musicians. If he doesn't get much attention, to me, it's for the same reason that other instrumentalists (although he does sing well) don't gain much notoriety. He's definitely a heavyweight talent. I saw him live years ago, and he tore the place up.

I especially admire his ability to either go out with a band and an electric and tear it up, or just solo with an acoustic and do the same thing.

My line of thought is along the lines of "media circles", not circle of musicians in general.

But yeah, you are right... if someone is good, the notoriety will come more from the musicians themselves more than it would from ANY media circle.

I hope that makes sense. :)

Peace

"The master and the musician" really shows his fusion side. It's his early stuff, 78 i think. "The best of Keaggy(the early years)" lets you see every side of him. :thu::thu:

BTW, I'm in the AF too. :thu:
that's cool. i think i read that on the roll call thread.

i'm active duty air force, but assigned to a guard unit. pretty cool gig. :thu:

How's that? :confused:

How's that? :confused: [/QB]

used to be traditional guard (one weekend a month.. all that), the job came open in my unit so i applied for it. there is a small percentage of the guard that is full time active duty, i just got lucky to score a slot. :thu:

i get all the benefits of active duty, but stay in my home town.

How's that? :confused:

used to be traditional guard (one weekend a month.. all that), the job came open in my unit so i applied for it. there is a small percentage of the guard that is full time active duty, i just got lucky to score a slot. :thu:

i get all the benefits of active duty, but stay in my home town.[/QB]

That's pretty nifty. AFSC???

i was 2E652, cable antenna maintenance. now i'm 3A051, information management.

you?

I'm 2T271- Air Transportation... stuck in MHZ.

Lights of Madrid

An excellent very listenable CD. It took me about eight months to wear that one out with a LOT of play. I still get the urge every once in a while to hear it.

Unfortunately, I don't think he draws much of a crowd for live shows.

Hey you white boy there

Go play that funky music

"ok...what's it pay?"

first smoke, then silence

your very expensive rig

dies so gracefully

Hey, I used to have a copy of The Wind And The Wheat, and liked it quite a bit. He's got a great touch, it's evident when you listen to his playing.

I agree with funk_jazz, Phil Keaggy's more or less in the same boat as a lot of other player's players.

I'd like to see what'd happen if Keaggy and Steve Morse collaborated; I think that would be a match, ehr, made in Heaven...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I haven't read all the messages in this thread, so someone may have beaten me to the punch, but, when Jimi Hendrix was asked "What's it like being the greatest guitarist in the world?", he replied, "I don't know, ask Phil Keaggy".

Archived