Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Singing!

elferoony

I am one of the better guitar players in my area, or at least in my school.

But, I can't sing reliably. I'm not sure which is more important to work on right now, especially for the band I play with right now. Would it be better to really build up a virtuosity on guitar, or to have some fun with vocals. It certainly is 'easier' to work on guitar, because it's a regular thing. But working on vocals is such an untested thing.

When did you guys work on each?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't sing worth didley squat, so I don't even try. But if you have a good voice, you should definitely work on developing that along with your playing.

Just my 2 cents... for what it's worth.

Peace

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Learn to sing! That will make you more valuable as a musician. You won't be just a guitar player anymore. Nevermind what it'll do for the ladies. Even if you don't have a voice good enough for American Idol, learn to blend with other voices. Ever heard of Joe Walsh?
Everybody knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact. - Homer Simpson

I started singing in bands out of neccessity, but it became enjoyable very quickly. It's good to have more than one vocalist in a band in order to save the voices of the people who are singing, but don't feel obligated if you want to concentrate on playing. If it don't fit, don't force it.

Where most singing is done by men with high voices it's hard for a person who's naturally a bass to find his voice vis a vis what you hear most other rock singers doing.

Try singing a lot of falsetto to get used to the upper range and also use a lot of head voice. It's feels unnatrual but it will help you get into that upper range. Also , if you're singing backup, just adding another voice will be a good addition to the overall sound and it'll be a big plus for your stage presence.

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis

maintain their neutrality."

[Dante Alighieri] (1265-1321)

I was always too chicken shit to sing as a kid. Then one day, we started a band. Me, a bass player, a drummer, and another guitarist. The question arose "Who's going to sing?"

"Not I", said the bass player.

"Not I", said the drummer.

"Not I", said the other guitarist.

Then I noticed that they were all looking at me.

They haven't been able to shut me up since.

Sing, sing, sing...

Start with easy stuff. Get used to it, and remember, the voice is like any other instrument. You have to learn how to use it. You have to practice with it. Learn your limitations. You can push your boundaries a little in rehearsal, just to find out where they are. Practice, and have fun. There is no greater rush in the world than having the house lights go down, having the band start pumping, hitting that guitar, and knowing that in a second, you're going to launch into some killer vocals, and when you do, the crowd goes crazy. It's a moment to die for, and it's why we do what we do.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by The Tedster From The Black Lagoon:

Sing, sing, sing...

Start with easy stuff. Get used to it, and remember, the voice is like any other instrument. You have to learn how to use it. You have to practice with it. Learn your limitations.

What Ted Said!

I don't believe you'll get a more concise, to the point recommendation from anyone.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

singing is just as important as virtuosity. i picked up on singing pretty easy while playing, but its a very valuable tool. if you cant sing and play, and its all guitar, sure it will go over well live but people want to hear lyrics. once you have a good beat and singing then you can add fancy stuff as you become more comfortable with the two. otherwise i would say you play and find a seperate singer.
hot girls, fast cars, and even louder guitars

I'm a vocalist first and a guitar player second, and I'll take any opportunity to put down the guitar or the sax and just belt out the vocals.

Your voice is the most portable instrument you have. You can practice in the shower, in the car, at home, just about anywhere. There's tons of advice about developing your voice but primarily they would be:

1. Breathe from the gut always, and make sure your diaphragm is a strong platform for vocal projection.

2. Don't force anything. If you practice a lot, your range will naturally improve, and you'll find out which keys you are comfortable singing in. Hopefully those will also be keys in which you play the guitar well.

I started singing by default also, it`s surpising how many groups I`ve been in where no one else can do it. But now I find it indispensible, especially since I started doing originals. Just for the heck of it, I sang on a song with three female vocalists last Christmas-and I did the high harmony!

Ted is right on, treat your voice like an instrument-that also means take care of it like one, avoid doing raspy things to your throat, be aware of sudden changes in temperature, if you don`t smoke stay away from it, that sort of thing.

There are some tiny mint things you can buy that are supposed to be good for your voice, I didn`t find them all that effective. Try not to have too much dairy or sugary stuff, especially before a gig.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Originally posted by Dr. Frankenberger:

Originally posted by The Tedster From The Black Lagoon:

Sing, sing, sing...

Start with easy stuff. Get used to it, and remember, the voice is like any other instrument. You have to learn how to use it. You have to practice with it. Learn your limitations.

What Ted Said!

I don't believe you'll get a more concise, to the point recommendation from anyone.

Further support for what Ted said. my voice isn't great but I love the feeling of being able to sing and play my own songs, much better than hitting any lighting fast lick IMO.
"I believe that if it were left to artists to choose their own labels, most would choose none." - Ben Shahn

I would recommend that you take a few vocal lessons. Select a teacher who has experience with the style you prefer (e.g. rock, blues, etc.). Most singers, even those who have been singing for years, do not really use their voices properly. A good coach can help you with proper exercises, learning to sing from your diaphram (not from your throat and nose) to really enhance your tone and projection.

Improving your voice will greatly complement your guitar player. I've heard groups with great guitarists but with very weak or poor singing talent. These poor vocals really detracted from the overall quality of the band and the musicians. All the great guitar licks in the world won't erase poor vocals. Work on your vocals, just like you have your guitar playing.

Actually, my voice is some ways below average. So I think singing lessons are a good idea for me, and a good investment. The only thing is that one's ability to sing seems to be more a judgement or statement on the person, because for most people it seems to come fairly naturally. So it will be harder for my ego than instrument lessons. :D

Originally posted by elferoony:

Actually, my voice is some ways below average. So I think singing lessons are a good idea for me, and a good investment. The only thing is that one's ability to sing seems to be more a judgement or statement on the person, because for most people it seems to come fairly naturally. So it will be harder for my ego than instrument lessons. :D

Boy, you said a mouthful. It's hard to get up in front of people and play guitar. But it's a LOT harder to play guitar and SING in front of people. And, for the brass ring...play guitar and sing something you WROTE...that takes brass balls (ovaries for you ladies out there).

Thing is, you'd think singing comes naturally to people. But it doesn't. Want proof? Go to any karaoke night around town. You'll find dozens of people with more brass balls (or ovaries) than good sense. Listen to 'em all for a lesson...in what TO do and what NOT to do. Like I said, start simple...in a comfy key. Don't start with "Black Dog" by Led Zeppelin or "Back in Black". Good Godalmighty, that'd be a train wreck. Start with something you can't screw up. Like maybe some Dylan. :D

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Singing requires training and practice, just like guitar playing. Pick songs you are comfortable with and play them in a key within your range. If you have a deep tenor or baritone voice, don't even think of trying a tune with that is way out of your range (ala Robert Plant).

Similarly, stick with tunes of a style that fit your voice. I don't think Celion Deion, who is a great singer, could pull off good renditions of Janice Joplin tunes, or vice-versa. Record yourself singing the tune and get feedback from friends and relatives. If the feedback is not strongly positive, then it is probably the wrong tune for you.

Similarly, a good blues guitarist would probably not be that comfortable playing neo-classical tunes. It pays to know your limitations and choose tunes that will complement your vocal style and ability. You probably already follow this practice with your guitar playing.

Archived