Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My guitar flag is at half mast

Jim Soloway

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh Man! I'm so sorry to see that!

If it was a "freak" break I sure hope you are able to isolate the cause, because your guitars are really nice and sound sweet.

Let us know what you find out, and keep in mind that the best inventors and innovators learn by trial and error.

I wish you the best, my friend. :)

Peace

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Wow!

I am very sorry to hear of your loved one's injury. How did it happen? Was it a bump against something?

Again, I am very sorry to hear about it. I can imagine how you feel. I wnet into depression for a month after I was sanding one of my babies and it fell off the bench. Crack! went the body. After a month of mourning, I fixed her up. As I was applying the finish, she fell from the ceiling hook...Crack! again.... Another mourning period and I fixed her up again. I still have her and she is my favorite. We've been through a lot.

Again, so sorry to hear. Let me but you a drink and drown the sorrow.

Mark

Check out some handcrafted guitars:

http://home.mindspring.com/~grus/guitars.htm

Originally posted by demarc:

Wow!

I am very sorry to hear of your loved one's injury. How did it happen? Was it a bump against something?

Again, I am very sorry to hear about it. I can imagine how you feel. I wnet into depression for a month after I was sanding one of my babies and it fell off the bench. Crack! went the body. After a month of mourning, I fixed her up. As I was applying the finish, she fell from the ceiling hook...Crack! again.... Another mourning period and I fixed her up again. I still have her and she is my favorite. We've been through a lot.

Again, so sorry to hear. Let me but you a drink and drown the sorrow.

Mark

AW MAN! Sounds as if "Murphy's Law" follows you too! :freak:

I HATE THAT! :P

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Jim, I'm sorry to see that. What happened, and which guitar is it?

I'd like to think that a repair is possible, but, then again, that is pretty extensive and in a bad spot. I hope that you can get her patched up!

By the way, that sure is some pretty flamed maple...

Originally posted by demarc:

"...I was sanding one of my babies and it fell off the bench. Crack! went the body. After a month...I fixed her up."

"As I was applying the finish, she fell from the ceiling hook...Crack! again.... "

"I still have her and she is my favorite. We've been through a lot."

-Mark

Whoa, Mark, that guitar is gravity-challenged, ain't she?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Yes, Murpy's Law is something I have learned to live with.

And, yes, that guitar does seem gravity challenged. Somedays, though, she does spread her wings and fly. Above the clauds, we soar with some beautiful music. :) Other days we hit rock bottom and sing the blues :( Those are the days I whip out a harp and go with the flow...

The way I see it, " a little rain must fall" . A little Zep helps get me through.

Check out some handcrafted guitars:

http://home.mindspring.com/~grus/guitars.htm

Well that looks nasty.

Hope you can find a way to repair it that will give the neck some life. If not, another neck looks like it'll be in the works & what's left of that one could be made into toothpicks.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

The explanation:

No, that was not one of the Soloway guitars. It was the Ibanez 7421XL that I had gigged with for the 9 months prior to completing Swan #1. It was a great guitar and that neck was the model for the necks the were now building. It's not a really expensive guitar, but it is quite rare. Ibanez only made a handful of the 27 inch scale non-trem 7 strings and then they discontinued the model.

I really wanted to keep it, but I'm way too broke at this point to have money tied up in an instrument that I have no plans on playing, so I sold it to a very fine 7 string player in Maryland. Here's what the box looked like when Fedex dropped it at his house.

http://jimsoloway.com/photos/miscguitars/PICT0218.jpg

Ohhh Man... and MY guitar is still enroute... :(

It's shipping from the US to the UK... hopefully it will be fine.

At least, I am happy to hear the damage had nothing to do with workmanship. :)

Peace

Originally posted by jackpine:

I'm assuming Fed Ex is taking responsibility for the breakage , right????

I assume so. I filed my claim this morning but I'm now in that sickening position where ethically I have to give the buyer a refund, but I haven't yet had my claim approved. Given my current finances, until I sell a few more guitars, it's not a comfortable position to be in.

And no, for anyone who thought it might be a problem with the Soloway guitars, the Swan is up and running like a champ. I've been gigging with #1 for a few weeks now and in about 3 weeks I'm planning on recording a new CD with it. It's a trio effort this time, so I'm busy grinding away on charts and preproduction demos as we speak.

Whoa, whoa, WHOOOOOAAAAA, Jim!! Hold on a second.

If the neck was the one you based the Swan's neck on, is it possible for you to replace the Ibanez neck with one of your own?? The buyer may actually prefer that. Just make a neck with no Soloway logo and indicate the reason it's not marked as a Soloway is to keep any future owners from thinking the entire guitar was built by your company.

I understand if you choose not to go that way, for business reasons. Just thought I'd suggest it.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Whoa, whoa, WHOOOOOAAAAA, Jim!! Hold on a second.

If the neck was the one you based the Swan's neck on, is it possible for you to replace the Ibanez neck with one of your own?? The buyer may actually prefer that. Just make a neck with no Soloway logo and indicate the reason it's not marked as a Soloway is to keep any future owners from thinking the entire guitar was built by your company.

I understand if you choose not to go that way, for business reasons. Just thought I'd suggest it.

No, I based the profile and radius on the Ibanez, but the Swan is only 22 frets and with a completley different pocket/heel shape. The real answer for this one is a replacement neck from Ibanez and I'm looking into that now (assuming the pocket isn't damaged).

Originally posted by Dr. Taz:

I hope you can get that neck replacement soon. Did FedEx disallow you from bringing that guitar with a case, or was it just a matter of finances when it came to choosing the shipping method?

I just shipped it the way the buyer wanted it. Frankly, with the hit that this thing took, I'd be amazed if it would have survuved no matter how it was packed.

I don't ship many expensive, heavy or fragile items. So when I do, I always go overboard to ensure the safety of the items.

When I send instruments or audio gear, I like to use solid foam products coupled with popcorn. That way, even if the box is punctured and popcorn leaks out, the solid foam should protect it. Of course, working at a scenic shop, I have access to plenty of closed cell foam leftovers. I also used to use my connection to MARS music to acquire old shipping boxes from their receiving dept.

But that must've taken quite a shot. :rolleyes:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

I don't ship many expensive, heavy or fragile items. So when I do, I always go overboard to ensure the safety of the items.

When I send instruments or audio gear, I like to use solid foam products coupled with popcorn. That way, even if the box is punctured and popcorn leaks out, the solid foam should protect it. Of course, working at a scenic shop, I have access to plenty of closed cell foam leftovers. I also used to use my connection to MARS music to acquire old shipping boxes from their receiving dept.

But that must've taken quite a shot. :rolleyes:

What made this interesting (and probably unpreventable) was that the damage you see on the box is on the BOTTOM. That means that it was hit so hard that it drove the guitar up into the packing materials that filled the top of the box. It wasn't the impact the broke the neck, but rather the stress of the neck pressing up against the foam.

That's SICK! That's GROSS!! HOW can you post a photo like that where CHILDREN might see it?? I almost lost my LUNCH!!!

I can't type any more...my hands are too shaky with fright and shock...

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Archived