Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

String Change - Why?

elferoony

Oh, yeah, if I was gigging, especially regularly, I'd be changing my strings all the time! Definitely a day before every gig, with a stretching and set-up checking regimen.

Yeah, DanielT and Lancer, if/when those little kinks, dents, or even breaks in the winding show up, you're long overdue for a change. As I play without a pick, and try to work on less of a death-grip on the neck, I'm getting less and less of that. I don't break that many strings lately, due largely to the fact that I use .011's and heavier and riding bareback (no picks).

I mostly change strings to regain the tone of the wound strings, and sometimes even replace them while keeping the old plain strings on there! Just to be lazy and cheap, really...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i used to play D'Ad's XL only, but about a month ago started experimenting....bought a pack of some Rotosound's strings (occasionally; my local dealer went out of D'Adarios and offered that stuff).......

i don't remember what was exactly printed on the package....something with the word BLUES capitalized.....

it SUCKS! dull sound in general, absolutely deaf lows, dim highs..

in that case i had to change them right after i got XL's :)

I've used GHS strings for quite some time. .010 to .046.

My body chemistry is absolutely murder on strings. I always change them before doing any playing/recording that I care about. When I was playing out regularly, I changed them for almost every gig. In my case, the low strings start getting dead just as fast as the high strings...probably because sweat gets into the windings. Recently, I've been recording a lot of my own bass tracks as well, and even those strings loose their tone fairly quickly. That was getting REAL expensive until I started using Ken Smith stainless bass strings which last me a lot longer.

Tom

http://www.digitalaudiorock.com

The Protools Plugin Preset Co-op

Originally posted by Gagarin, The Cosmonaut:

i used to play D'Ad's XL only, but about a month ago started experimenting....bought a pack of some Rotosound's strings (occasionally; my local dealer went out of D'Adarios and offered that stuff).......

i don't remember what was exactly printed on the package....something with the word BLUES capitalized.....

it SUCKS! dull sound in general, absolutely deaf lows, dim highs..

in that case i had to change them right after i got XL's :)

Well, if you're talking about their bass guitar strings, the best IMHO are from the Swing Bass series. Available in both nickel wound and stainless steel. As most would expect, the stainless does last longer, though their nickel wounds aren't slouches. Must be the stainless steel cores. It's what I've used for years, along with the D'Addario XL nickels, and I don't expect to change brands anytime soon.

Originally posted by guitarzan the impaler:

DR strings are rockin as mentioned , i like em a lot. sometimes my local store does't have all the guages or types. i love the sound of new strings. DR's sound and feel new longer (to my ear). and i play just like warren haynes after!!!not :D:eek:

I put some String Savers on my Strat, and I have to say that the claim of strings lasting longer seems to be true. The EB Super Slinky strings I use seem to last forever on that guitar. Far fewer string changes than with the stamped saddles my guitar had on it.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

• 3 weeks later...

Archived