Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

String Change - Why?

elferoony

I know people change strings with varying frequencies. My question is, why?

The non-high e strings on my U.S.A. Strat have not been changed since I got it over a year ago, and I don't feel like the tone lacks anything. Maybe it is because I don't know the difference? Or is there a dramatic difference, really?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much do you play?

A year on strings that aren't played much, or hard, may last that long, or longer. That's not to say it's normal for strings to last that long guys...

You may be one of the lucky ones that do not have a chemical reaction from their body acid, the environemt & other things that cause strings to go bad, even without being played. If so, GREAT! If not, you should put a new set on. You'll probably be surprised how much brighter the sound and how much more sustain the have.

I'm not saying you have to change your strings at least once a year but I'm pretty easy on strings, play some of the best available, and still have to change a couple times a year to keep the timbre and tone of the guitars where they need to be.

Change 'em, you might be like Mike....

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Do you mean the "plain" strings?

I've found that the plain strings don't change too much for the worse with age, so long as they aren't damaged. But, the wound strings lose a lot of "zing" and complexity and richness as they get old, and a fresh set that has been on just long enough to set-up and stay in tune (after some stretching) always sounds revitalized and newly inspiring.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I find that my E and b strings get black and grimey real fast. So bad that they make screaching noises when I bend. I can only have them for about a month before they rust and become unplayable.
"What's with these new bands, everyone knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact." -Homer Simpson

Now that you mention it, when I loan a guitar, gunk appears on the strings that dont really appear when I play. So maybe I am a bit lucky?

Well I am using stock Fender strings still.

If I change, [it will only eat $4.99 of college away why the hell not I guess]

what should I use. I have previously used only stock and Ernie Ball Rock n'Roll. What are the various merits-de merits of the other strings?

I like to bend, and like quick rhythm playing as well.

One thing I thought up that seems to work is, takng pure alcohol, loosening the strings and, using a cloth to protect the fretboard, running a lightly soaked pad up and down each string. This gets all the gunk off `em. If you use pure alcohol it doesn`t leave any residue.

BTW,I`ve heard that Clapton never changes his strings-his tech has to do it for him. I change mine fairly frequently, finger oil slows my playing down. They also seem to lose a bit of responsiveness, but only after a good while.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Well, I can tell you what strings I like, and Dak- I mean, the good Dr. Frankenburger will tell you the same- I looove DR strings. In particular, I favor the "Pure Blues" pure nickel wrap set (on my Les Paul, I use .011s, you might prefer .010s) for a more "vintage" tone, but they also make a nickel-plated steel set called "Tight Fit" and a brighter set for metal and other assorted aggressive tonalities called "High Beams". They use a round core for the wound strings that promotes even-order harmonic overtoners, sustain, and a great feel and bedability. Not to mention that they seem to last a long time!

(Most makers use a hex core that the winding sits well on as the corner-edges of the hex-core "bite" into the wrap, making production easier. The DRs are "compression wound" and sound like heavier gauge strings while feeling like lighter gauge strings!)

Blah blah blah sounds like spam, doesn't it? But it's not really, I just like what these strings do for me!

By the way, elferoony, I, like you, am lucky and don't seem to have as much of that corrosion problem, and have pretty dry, non-reactive skin on my fingers. Man, whenever someone else plays my guitar, sometimes after only minutes, the whole entire axe just feels wrong, all gritty-sticky and violated!

elefroony, check out the DakLander Music thread. The guitar has DR Strings that are probably 6 months old on it with plenty of playing. Would I use that in a recording studio? No, I'd want newer strings but as you can hear, it ain't bad. Your situation may be the same as to deteriation of strings but I'd still not go over a year without changing.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Somewhere between 6 to 10 hours of serious playing (gigs/rehearsals) they get noticibly dull to me. If no gigs are coming up, I tend to play on dead ones for a while. But I do have a 2 gig maximum. I just can't stand it beyond that.
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

I use Ernie Ball Super Slinky's gauged .042 through .009. I never break strings, and they're brighter and easier to play than fat strings. I used those on all of my guitars (except for my acoustic, obviously).

I'll also go with D'Addario strings, usualy XL's in the same gauge of .042 - .009.

I don't ever wipe the strings down, unless they get dusty, and they seem to last a long time. The plain strings turn black quickly, but retain their tone until about a month or two has passed. I usualy change strings after about 4 to 6 months.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Originally posted by bluestrat:

"The plain strings turn black quickly, but retain their tone until about a month or two has passed."

They turn black?!?

Man, I am lucky! I never have had strings rust or change color or any of that. Sometimes I've been lazy, or cheap, or both, and left'em on for a long, long time. And I can get pretty lazy about wiping'em off, too. But, the worst thing is usually just a little dulling of the tone on the wound strings, and very rare but occasional breakage!

Thanks to Kev/Caveman/DancesWithFish I tried the DR Blues and love them. Another good tip from my man! :thu: Up until recently I'd been using D'Addario or Gibson when I found them.

Now I'm using the DR Pure Blues 9's on the Tele/Wolfgang/LP with P90's and the 10's on the other LP's and the 335. I find they last quite a while. I ALWAYS give the strings a and guitar a good wipedown after playing though.

I change strings when they start showing discolorations or rust. A set will last 3-4 months on a guitar I play seldom. On my main loves (LP Custom and Goldtop) they last quite a bit less and I change them every couple of weeks. To be honest, I think I could probably change them less often and if I was on a tighter budget, I'd probably go twice as long.

As Danceswithwerewolves pointed out, DR strings are very nice. I use the standard Tite-Fits (9.5 set).

Their acoustic Sunbeam (I think that's what they're called) strings are also really nice.

Ernie Ball, DR, GHS, etc. are all on par in terms of quality. So the only difference is preference.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Originally posted by Dances With Werewolves:

Well, I can tell you what strings I like, and Dak- I mean, the good Dr. Frankenburger will tell you the same- I looove DR strings. In particular, I favor the "Pure Blues" pure nickel wrap set

Thanks to Caev/DWW and Dak I tried the DR strings, and I don't think I ever want to use anything else now. They seem to have the best feel and most balanced tone of any strings I've tried.

BTW I'm using the Pure Blues (.010's) on my strat and the Rares (.011's) on my acoustic.

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

I looove DR strings. In particular, I favor the "Pure Blues" pure nickel wrap set (on my Les Paul, I use .011s, you might prefer .010s) for a more "vintage" tone,

Slightly OTT - DANCES... did you have to work the bridge or nut to move to 11s? Thinking of doing that on my 74 LP Deluxe :P
Lynn G

You know back in the day when all I played was heavy blues, I rarely swapped strings unless they were just digustingly dull. But since I play mostly altcountry with some punk undertones, I swap about every third show, unless I break the hell out of 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th string like I've been doing lately. Which is odd....I used to break the little ones....not so anymore.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Hey Geenard, I entered a phase about a year ago, where I was breaking my wound strings after one or two hours playing(!) Always towards the bridge end of the guitar?

I changed the saddles on my Tele and Les Paul for Graphite String Savers, and I haven't had any such trouble since! They cost about $20 a set.

As for changing strings, I must sweat pure acid, because a one hour set would tarnish my strings so bad, that I would change them before getting up to play another show! If I'm guitar swapping, they'll usually last four rehearsals, so I change both every two weeks.

For what it's worth, I'm an advocate of the DR Handmade strings too, 11's for me. They seem to have a richer tone than others I've tried, don't know about how well they last, as I said, my strings are shown no mercy.

Best Wishes, Tea. :thu:

Must be that we're rockin like a mo fo!!!!!!!!!!!! :) Good suggestions though, I've thought of putting little strips of tubing where the string goes through the body.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Originally posted by bluestrat:

"The plain strings turn black quickly, but retain their tone until about a month or two has passed."

They turn black?!?

Man, I am lucky! I never have had strings rust or change color or any of that. Sometimes I've been lazy, or cheap, or both, and left'em on for a long, long time. And I can get pretty lazy about wiping'em off, too. But, the worst thing is usually just a little dulling of the tone on the wound strings, and very rare but occasional breakage!

yeah, they turn black. light rust will look black with a little oil on it, and I guess my strings are getting a natural black oxide or "blued" finish on them. It takes a couple of weeks to get that way. I'm assuming that Watkin's Glenn is a dryer climate than Charlotte, and the humidity here sucks.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

I use D'Addario EXLs, nickel wound, .010-.046. Standard tuning.

I change them about every one or two months when not playing live. I always change them a day before a live show. ALWAYS. Mostly because I use a guitar that has a Floyd, but it's a good idea in most cases whether you play electric, or acoustic steel string.

The classical nylon cats are lucky in this respect. I've read that they can go at least two months before changing strings, and that's for active performers. I've changed strings on a classical before (my dad's), and it's about as tedious as doing the changes in my Floyd loaded Ibanez.

There's nothing like a pack of fresh strings. Especially on an acoustic. Electric guitar doesn't tend to land musicians as much of a difference, but the grime-free feeling is nice. Not to mention the accomplishment I feel after setting the damn Floyd Rose on my Jackson. What a pain in the ass!
Shut up and play.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally bought a pack of Ernie Ball Rock n'Rolls and installed them. It was like I was sleeping the entire past year and had just woken up. I finally got to hear the difference between my Strat and pile of crap.

Thanks for the advice. I really think it will make a huge difference. Except now I want to constantly change strings, and I can't really afford to. :freak:

When I was faithfully practicing (> 7 hours / week), I changed the strings on my dreadnought acoustic once a month, so around every 30 hours. And, yes, it does make a difference.

I can see how an electric might not make as much difference, but even if you only played lightly (2-3 hours / week), that would be every three months. I would change them at least twice a year if your ear isn't critical, four times a year if they are.

Whatever your opinion/ear/practice time, CHANGE THEM, at least once and a while.

Dave

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Originally posted by ricknbokkerv2.0:

I change 'em every twenty hours, regardless of condition.. Ernie Ball Regular Slinky.

God forbid I don't part with 12 bucks a month.... Jeez. lol

Btw.... Hiyas Khan.... long time....

:eek: WOW!!! 12 buck's I hope you get a kiss every time you get #$@ked sorry!!!!!!!
The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

I haven't heard anybody mention the little kinks that develop in the plain strings or the dents that appear in the woind ones. Both of those things have to impact the tone, I would think.

I change before every gig.

Some of the reasons to change strings regularly are as follows:

1. Strings age over time and wear out, oxidize and collect dirt/finger oils etc.. Just look under the strings (between the string bottoms and the frets) and you will see flat wear spots.

2. As strings wear, their tone degrades and they become harder to maintain intonation across the fretboard.

3. As strings age, they are more apt to break.

Changing strings frequently is an inexpensive way to enhance your tone and minimize the chance of the other problems above.

Archived