Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Replacing single coil with HB in strat

Wes from Wpg

I have a Squier standard strat, and would like to replace the bridge p/u with a single coil sized humbucker.

Are there any wiring issues, or is it pretty simple to do. I've never replaced a p/u before, and would like to take a shot at doing it myself.

Any tips would be appreciated.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Wes from Winnipeg:

I have a Squier standard strat, and would like to replace the bridge p/u with a single coil sized humbucker.

Are there any wiring issues, or is it pretty simple to do. I've never replaced a p/u before, and would like to take a shot at doing it myself.

Any tips would be appreciated.

I did that not too long ago myself. The wiring is pretty easy, the only problem you might run into would be wiring the pickup out of phase. You'll get a tone similar to what you hear when using the bridge and middle pickups together if that happens. To fix that, just reverse the connections to the pickup.

I went with a Seymour Duncan JB jr, and it's a great pickup! All SD pickups have wiring instructions in the box.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

As the previous repondents indicated, the installation is pretty straight forward as you are substituting with a "stacked" humbucker which will fit into you bridge single coil slot.

Tonally, I think it is a good move. I do have a set of hot Kinman pups in my Strat and the bridge pup is hotter than the neck and middlle. This is needed because the bridge pup does received "weaker" string vibrations than the other two as it is located closer to a terminal end of the vibrating string (i.e. the bridge).

Archived