Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

First "no-show" concert

Fendercaster

Seeing reference to Merriwether Post Pavilion in the "first concert" thread reminded me of an incident many years ago. A couple friends and I were going to see Blood, Sweat and Tears at Merriweather in the summer of 1969, so we drove to Columbia, only to find out at the gate that David Clayton-Thomas had been detained in Canada (I think drugs were involved), and the show was cancelled.

I know George Jones (No-show Jones) and Sly Stone are famous for not showing up for concerts, anybody else have an experience similar to mine?

My gear: http://fendercaster.freeservers.com/guit3.html

If you own two Lexus cars, do you have Lexi?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The saddest no show concert, was Lynyrd Skynyrd. The crash was about twenty or so miles from my parents home at the time. I still have the un-ripped tickets.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Originally posted by bluestrat:

ZZ-top with the Black Crows, only no Black Crows! They were replaced by some shitty band that got boo-ed off of the stage.

Other than that, ZZ-top rocked!! :)

Wasn't the sponsorship crap they were bitchin about? And.....you ought to change it to...Orangestrat!!!!!!!!! I'm sure I wasn't the first to suggest that!!!!!! :)
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Originally posted by Bob Keelan:

I think Chris Robinson was also inferring that Billy Gibbons and crew were playing to tapes too.

I know for a fact that ZZ played to tapes either in the late 80s or early 90s. They used one of those Tascam 8-track reel-to-reel/mixing board combos. It was a big sales pitch from the local Tascam rep in Nashville that they had replaced a Fairlight with a Tascam product. I also know for a fact that ZZ Top used a Fairlight on the Eliminator tour since I loaded it out of its road case as part of the local crew when they played in Murfreesboro.

Having said all of that, ZZ Top played a ripping show when I saw them. :thu: The Fairlight/Tape rig only provided the synth and secondary guitar parts. They weren't pulling a Milli Vanilli. :D

EDIT: BTW - I've been fortunate enough to hvae never had a concert no-show experience.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Originally posted by Mudcat:

I also know for a fact that ZZ Top used a Fairlight on the Eliminator tour since I loaded it out of its road case as part of the local crew when they played in Murfreesboro.

Who were you working for at Starwood? ;) Do you still do crew work?

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

In 1969 at Stony Brook U,Cream cancelled(Jack Bruce was sick)and the Vagrants with Leslie West was called in as a last minute replacement.As the Vagrants were setting up and most of the crowd gone,someone stood up and yelled "looks like Jackie Gleason with a guitar"!! :D
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Originally posted by Alndln FX-51:

In 1969 at Stony Brook U,Cream cancelled(Jack Bruce was sick)and the Vagrants with Leslie West was called in as a last minute replacement.As the Vagrants were setting up and most of the crowd gone,someone stood up and yelled "looks like Jackie Gleason with a guitar"!! :D

Did you get another chance to see Cream?

I had been trying to see classical pianist Andre Watts for some time. When I finally got to one of his concerts, he didn't show up. They said one of his wrists was sore. Ticked me off. The replacement pianist wasn't too bad though. It was Van Cliburn doing Grieg's Piano Concerto at Bass Hall in Fort Worth.

I have had bad experiences with shortened concerts. Concerts where the lead singer would go crazy and storm off and blow off the show. In the 70s, the groups that I went to see most often were Frank Zappa (5 times), Todd Rundgren (5 times), and Traffic (4 times). At the last Traffic concert I ever saw, shortly into the show the power cut off. It lasted for probably 3 minutes, admittedly not good. But lead singer/keyboardist/nutcase Steve Winwood went crazy even after the power came back on. He was screaming at the top of his lungs (I guess directed at the venue or maybe the sound men - I couldn't tell). He kicked his keyboards over and refused to continue. I have never been a fan of Traffic since then. Must have been around 1972 - I don't know.

The next shortened concert was an opening act promoting their new hit single "All The Young Dudes." Yes, it was Mott The Hoople, and Ian Hunter went crazy. I don't remember what it was about, but a lead singer going crazy generally is about the sound. Their set was shortened to almost nothing. I can't remember offhand who the headliner was, but I'm sure they were better than Mott The Hoople. This was also around 1972.

I stopped listening to rock music about 1975. Thought I was above it - too good for it. I listened to nothing but jazz and classical until about 1986 when I got back into rock. I was amazed in the late 80s when I first heard such groups as Rush, Van Halen, Boston, etc.

The first was when the Norfolk scope had some power outage and boston was forced to postpone. no big deal as far as I was concerned I was just going to get in some girls good graces. ;)

I saw the first Ozzfest tour where first Marylin Manson stormed off the stage after two lousy songs then shortly after that they announce that Ozzy has been delayed. Key players from all of the bands came out with Ozzys band and played sabbath covers and old ozzy tunes. They finally anoounced that Ozzy wasn't coming so there wasn't going to be any Ozzy or any Black Sabbath and the place went nuts. The idiots were flipping cars over and they had called in the cops in riot gear and the police choppers and it was just a total mess.

Reach out and grab a clue.

Something Vicious

My solo crap

Originally posted by thrashole369:

The first was when the Norfolk scope had some power outage and boston was forced to postpone. no big deal as far as I was concerned I was just going to get in some girls good graces. ;)

Absolutely one of the worst places on earth to see a concert!!!!! The scope is about two miles from my house, in Ghent. When were you there?

I went to see the John Mayall group (I think it was the group that released the album titled Jazz-Blues Fusion in 1972) at Hunter College in NYC in December 1971... took the train from Hicksvill into NYC and the subway up to Hunter only to discover that the show had been cancelled. Came back to Hicksville in time to go to the "office" Christmas party that the supermarket I worked for was having, and got horribly drunk for the first time in my life...

Originally posted by Geenard Skeenard:

Originally posted by thrashole369:

Absolutely one of the worst places on earth to see a concert!!!!! The scope is about two miles from my house, in Ghent. When were you there?
As it turns out, my in-laws live in Lochhaven!

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Originally posted by meek20:

Did you get another chance to see Cream?

Unforunately no!But I did get to see Jack Bruce with the Tony Williams Lifetime(with John Mclaughlin) in NY and Ginger Baker at a club on Long Island(My Fathers Place).
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Around 1970, a 3 day rock festival at Powder Ridge ski area in CT was cancelled by the town fathers, on Thurs afternoon - the power & water to the grounds was shut off, and access to the site was blocked. Fortunately, about 20,000 freaks (and me!) were early arrivals, and we certainly had a hell of a party for a couple days. My recollection is that there were 20 or so top groups booked, none actually performed, but a local band somehow got in, and so we did have a bit of music.

PPPaul

[url=http://www.TiredIronBand.com

Fender Strat

Hamer Sunburst

Guild D-25

DeArmond Jetstar (Spel!)

Washburn HB-15C

Peavey C-30

blah blah ho hum etc etc

OK, get this... After I started playing guitar again, and JUST starting to appreciate guitar playing skills, I win FRONT ROW seats to Lenny Kravits from a radio station, here in Sacramento.

I happened to be playing my new guitar while winning these tix, so I played "I Want to Fly Away" for the Sacto listeners. Anyway, Lenny got sick and cancelled. I got a CD instead. :rolleyes: What a bunch of CRAP! I was pissed! Lenny is pretty cool, musically.

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

Archived