Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Great Gawdalmighty, check out Robert Randolph...

Tedster

I posted this on Craig's forum, too...

I just caught this guy's video on VH1...dude! Great funk grooves (in the vein of Sly Stone's "Dance to the Music)...but, this dude plays a...get this...PEDAL STEEL! AND FRICKING SMOKES!!! It ain't your Uncle Earl's whiny, crying pedal steel. He lights that sucker UP. Traditionally, funk and pedal steel go together like, uh...peanut butter and horseradish. Not any more...

A definite "Tedster says check this guy out!!!"

Four thumbs up!!!

http://www.robertrandolph.net/

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many, many thanks - I've been wanting to hear this band since I caught a glimpse of them on Letterman a while back. BTW has Sly surfaced anywhere lately?I've been in the doldrums tonight and listening to this has picked me right up.I can't believe anyone even dares to make this kind of music anymore! :thu:

PS This music heals!There's a touch of the Allmans about it as well. I picked up my Maton and can honestly say I played some of my best stuff in weeks after listening to this.Does anyone else have this experience? Can't wait to get the CD. :thu::thu:

Oh yeah, that band wails. I have one cd & I've seen a couple of shows on the tube & it's one show I'm gonna see live if they ever get to this little burg.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Robert's the man! He was on Austin City recently with the Blind Boys of Alabama and stole the show. I saw a similar pedal steel group called the Campbell Brothers (I think that was their name) at the Blues Fest in Cincinnati back in August. They were serious Gospel based Blues and you couldn't help but clap your hands and stomp your feet. Hopefully this is a trend...
I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

He was on the Connan O'Brian show last week and I got it on tape. It was a much better performance than the one on Leno, he really got a chance to show off some of his hot licks. I got turned on to him by "The Word" and then got his "Live at the Wetlands" CD. I play a tiny bit of pedal steel and can really appreciate what he is doing. He's making quite a buzz over at the Pedal Steel Forum too.

Jamie

But never fear, you're safe with me... Well maybe. - Les

I was in Bloomington, Indiana around 77 or 78 and saw a band out of Cinncinatti named Wheels. They had a pedal steel player who rocked! I was totally in awe. I don't know who the guy was, but I would love to know if he ever recorded anything. If anyone knows who this guy was, or what he has done since, please post it.
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken...

I came across Randolph one night on some old Austin City Limits repeat. I think it was the "Randolph Family Band" or something. I dropped everything I was doing and sat in front of the TV like a little tyke with my mouth hanging open.
Rivera + Fender Strat

"Wheels" was a very popular band in the Cincinnati area for years, I know that Tim and Larry Goshorn (Pure Prairie League) played in the band but can't remember much else. So many beers ago...I'll check my vinyl collection tonight and see who played pedal steel for them.
I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

i have never been more floored by a steel player. anyone at that level of proficiency, regardless of what instrument they play, is a wonder of nature.

does anyone know if his back-up guitarist on Conan O'Brian is the guy from Soulive? sure had an uncanny resemblance...

Yeah, I saw Robert Randolph and band on a VH1 live concert a couple of days ago. Excellent! Robert had his steel guitar's tone set on "BALLS."

In the second half hour of the concert was Heart. They sounded better than last time I heard them. They had Gilby Clarke from Guns 'N' Roses on lead guitar and the bass player from Alice In Chains.

I saw him on VH1 as well and was really taken by surprise. Great song, great playing. I wasn't expecting it, considering how much crap videos VH1 has.
"I look for whatever will cut the deepest... whammy bars and wah wah pedals can't be used as just gimmicks. They have to reflect and express your feelings." - Jeff Beck

Archived