Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Les Paul Replica

pauldil

A good friend of mine bought a beautiful sunburst 57 Les Paul form George Gruhn back in 1974. He recently took it in to someone for some fretwork and was told that this guitar was not really a Gibson, even though it was sold as a Gibson and it has the Gibson and Les Paul Custom logos on the headstock. On the truss rod cover, theres the name NUNIS. My friend still has the receipt, which is pretty faded, but still says Gibson Les Paul on it. He took it back to George Gruhn, just to try and find out the origin of this guitar. Gruhn was pretty rude to him, and got very defensive and questioned whether it had even been bought at his store, even though he was shown the receipt. All my friend got out of it was that its not a Gibson, but a very accurate copy and that a guy names Jim Nunis had worked for Gruhn in the 70s when the guitar was bought. So for almost 30 years, he's thought he had a Gibsom Les Paul. Regardless, its a beautiful guitar and an incredible replica. Has anyone out there ever heard of guitar maker Jim Nunis?

Paul

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe that's the guy who built Slash's original flametop non-Gibson "Gibson Les Paul".

Supposedly a perfect, if illegal, replica.

Keep in mind that this may not have been a clear case of copyright infringement back in the 70s since Gibson was not building Les Pauls to 50s specs. back then.

Your friend might have a legal case considering the amount of money involved. However I'm not sure about the statute of limitations.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Originally posted by pauldil:

Gruhn was pretty rude to him, and got very defensive and questioned whether it had even been bought at his store, even though he was shown the receipt.

I've heard George can exhibit a little attitude at times. There's a guy at the store named Keith who is really good to work with.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Archived