Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wayne Johnson?

henryrobinett

Anyone know anything about Wayne Johnson? He was a good guitar player out of the Metheny-ish mold. Great writer and had a phenomenal group with Jim Flim Johnson on bass and Bill Berg drums. I know he toured with Manhattan Transfer but I lost track. I have three lps of his, Grasshopper, Arrowhead and Everybody's Painting Pictures.

I played about three songs from Grasshopper with a group I had a long time ago. Deceptively difficult/easy. I never know how that goes. The shit is hard but it doesn't sound that hard whe you listen. A lot of time signiture placed in strange places you would think. Just a trio. Man Flim sounds great on bass.

Waynes not a great pyrotechnical player but an really great all around player. On some of this stuff he sounds too much like early Metheny. Because it's a trio his chord work is put to good use.

Sometimes it sounds too polite. But it reminds me of earlier Wayne Krantz; as if Krantz had heard Johnson influenced stuff.

So I've never heard anyone here mention him, thought I'd ask. Maybe Alchuck knows sumpin'

All the best,

Henry Robinett

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a copy of "Spirit of the Dancer"...good stuff. 'Haven't heard anything about him in a good while either.

-Steve

-----------------------------------

Sometimes ya gotta find out what it ain't, to find out what it is...

I saw him way back when (1981 or so) at McCabe's Guitar Shop in LA, opening for Emily Remler. I assume that the bassist was his brother... he's played off and on with Allan Holdsworth since those days, but after the Manhattan Transfer thing I haven't heard hide nor hair of Wayne.

Man, "Grasshopper"...that brings back memories, totally forgot about Wayne Johnson...we used to cover some of his tunes in a college fusion band. Reminds me of many other forgotten guitar players.

we used to cover some tunes by Kuzumi Watanabi (sp?)...remember him?..good stuff.

overheard street personality on Venice Beach "Man, that Bullshit is Bulllshhittt...."

Archived