Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How to simulate the effect of the Leslie amp for guitar?

Beatnik

I am trying to simulate the doppler effect for my guitar sound,like the Leslie amp rotary speaker used on Hammond organs. What digital effects should I use?

Some help please.

thanks

"Creo en la Reflexión, no en Dogmas"

Beatnik

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Stratbeatle:

I am trying to simulate the doppler effect for my guitar sound,like the Leslie amp rotary speaker used on Hammond organs. What digital effects should I use?

Some help please.

thanks

You need a Uni-Vibe for that, or a Uni-Vibe modeler. You can also get that effect by increasing the rate control on a chorus effect.

Several companies sell rotary speakers like the smaller leslie cabinets. If this is going to be a big part of your sound, you might want to look into it by doing a Google search for "Leslie speaker cabinet".

Hope this helps!

Oh, and welcome to the forum. :wave:

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Yeah, what he said- that is, welcome, Stratbeatle!

I would also highly recommend the Alesis Midiverb or Quadraverb digital multieffects line; these units do a beautiful "Leslie" impersonation, when used in stereo, that is one of the best I've personally tried. To test it out, I had a non-musician friend step in as I was playing, and, as he walked by the cabinets, a surprised look stole over his face and he exclaimed, "It sounds like these speakers are spinning!"

My Lexicon Vortex does a pretty good rotary sound, too. You can even switch between preset high and low speeds, and it slows down and speeds up like the real live mechanical thing!

Korg used to make a dedicated pedal, the Toneworks Rotary Speaker Simulator G4. These also sound excellent. They have a lot of control parameters, and include a bit of distortion. You can really fine-tune the effect to your liking!

All of these sound the most convincing in true stereo, by the way. Fed into a good stereo reverb, the effect will be well emphasized. Too much will wash it out in a swampy mess, though!

If you mostly just want a sweeping, Doppler-like effect more than an actual Leslie rotary cabinet sound, the Univibe (don't bother with the old vintage units, they're insanely overpriced) and its many clones will do very well. After all, Jimi Hendrix used'em, and bluestrat (you know, that guy with the orange Strat- go figure!) already told you about'em! :P;):thu: *

I've had a T.C. Electronics Chorus/Flanger pedal, which also has a "Pitch Modulator" mode that does a more polite, "Hi-Fi" sounding effect than a 'vibe or 'vibe-clone, but less three-dimensional than a total Leslie rotary simulator.

Also, if you can deal with the extra luggage and expense, Motion Sound makes a number of rotary cabinets, and Mesa Boogie makes the Revolver rotary guitar cabs.

Best of luck, and post back to let us know how, and what, you do!

* bluestrat is way cool, by the way. I was just pickin' on him there!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Thanks to you Bluestrat and Dances with werewolves

I am an strat guitarist but I really love the sound of the Hammond organ, you have to listen to those Jazz organ trios like "Medeski Martin and Wood", But Im also fan of Hendrix and I know he used the Leslie and Leslie simulators, I know he used the univibe, and there are some news like the Rotovibe.

Thanks

"Creo en la Reflexión, no en Dogmas"

Beatnik

I know what you mean, Stratbeatle! I love to go for a big fake B-3 sound now and then.

Man, if you mix in a little pitch-transposed octave or fifth or such, you get a monster sound! I also like to use various methods to get "volume swells" when in that mode.

(Oh, and I'm "Caevan O'Shite"; the skull-avatar, and "Dances With Werewolves", is a Halloween sort of thing that a number of us here on the Forum are playing with. Trick-or-treat!)

All of these are good suggestions.

I might also add the Hughes & Kettner Tube Rotosphere. This is what I use to imitate some faux Jimmy Smith Hammond B-3 comping. It does the trick nicely.

Charlie Hunter (you may have heard of him--plays 8 string bass/guitar) makes excellent use of this particular device to get a good Leslie sound.

Yeah, so I've got an orange strat avitar. :rolleyes: I guess that's kind of my Halloween thing, it being orange and black. :) That's a Fender Double Fat Strat that I tried out at Sam Ash. :love: It's really a great guitar.

I used to have a Cordovox Leslie CL-30. Sweet sound, but bulky and heavy as hell. It did however do the intro thing on Soundgarden's "Blackhole Sun" very well! :D But, I sold it and decided to stick with the other tremolo effects I had.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

blue', I dig the orange Strat, I was just tryin' to be funny. Don't send over that anonymous "Beating-Telegram" thug again!

(That was you that sent him the first time, wasn't it?!?)

Hi,

I tried out several units, bought the Hughes and Kettner Rotosphere and love it. It does a nice job of replicating a Leslie in mono, and in stereo it just kills; at my church, people, including folks in the band, were actually looking around for the Hammond organ!

Go to Musictoyz.com . You can listen to sound samples of some of the Leslie simulators they sell. Also, the Univibe and Rotovibe, both of which I own, sound very cool (Hendrix, Trower, and many others obviously attest to this), but they sound nothing like a Leslie cab. They have that wonderful lopsided pulse and watery effect that is just so cool, but neither has the slightly overdriven tone and swirling speaker effect.

Alan

See if you can find a Voce Spin II. It's an orange AC-powered stompbox that -- IMO -- comes closer to a leslie sound than any of the other pedals. That said, I believe that more people will recognize the Dunlop Uni-Vibe as the "sound of the Leslie"... think Robin Trower on Bridge of Sighs.

Since so many pedals are getting mentioned here, I'll throw one of my "vintage" (old) favorites in- the Electro Harmonix Small Stone phaser pedal. Sounds great for a lot of things!

Originally posted by Bob Keelan:

here's what it looked like before the paintjob:

http://www.thecanteen.com/blue2.jpg

I love that site. I just sit there and read all the little asides and stuff. Keeps my feeble mind occupied. When I'm not posting here, that is... :D
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by The Tedster From The Black Lagoon:

Originally posted by Bob Keelan:

here's what it looked like before the paintjob:

http://www.thecanteen.com/blue2.jpg

I love that site. I just sit there and read all the little asides and stuff. Keeps my feeble mind occupied. When I'm not posting here, that is... :D
Yeah, it pays to re-visit the site every now and then since they seem to keep adding little tidbits.

At the risk of hijacking this thread, here is the guitars of the Beatles site that Ted and I speak of:

http://www.thecanteen.com/fabguitars.html

Archived