Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Live rig different from "studio"?

Caevan O’Shite

How many folks here play out and record with the same instruments and gear?

And who amongst you find that some instruments and/or gear are great for recording, while others are better suited to the conditions of live performance?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, I'm not sayin' anything, just askin', Mr. Hoffmonster! (Don't claw me, just stay in the pool, play your waterproof Rainsong guitar, and get on with it!)

Got to thinkin' about David Gilmour's and Eric Clapton's celebrated guitar-and-amp combos used on recordings from over the years, and the axes and amps that they use live. And some of the reasons, like quieter, stronger pickups, not damaging or losing rare old vintage axes and amps, etc.

And how some folks seem to use the same for both. Like SRV's $h!tload of guitars and amps on the road.

I figured, that's a topic that a lot of Forum folks would have something to post about!

Originally posted by Dances With Werewolves:

Oh, I'm not sayin' anything, just askin', Mr. Hoffmonster! (Don't claw me, just stay in the pool, play your waterproof Rainsong guitar, and get on with it!)

!

HA! The good ol' "Creature" has been one of my fave monsters from way back. Remember that scene from the movie where the girl is standing at the edge of the boat, and the webbed hand comes out of the water to grab her ankle, and just as it does, she moves away? I got our drummer real good...we played the Smithville Lake Marina...set up on a floating dock. The drummer was close to the edge of the dock with his back to the water, and during a break I recounted that scene...as though a webbed hand would come out of the water and grab his foot and pull him into the dark lake. He freaked! HAHAHA...even though he knew nothing like that would happen it was hilarious...

In answer to your question, though, I don't have any really rare vintage instruments that I'd be worried about on the gig. I take enough guitars to get the sounds I need for the tunes we play, at least my Guild acoustic and a Strat, and most often, the Guild, Strat, and my Rick 360-12. I use them to record with as well, of course, if I need a Les Paul sound in the studio, I'll bring it. That or my Washburn A-20. Live, as well as in the studio (when I get there :rolleyes: ) it's the Marshall TSL-122.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Tedster HoffMonster:

"Remember that scene from the movie where the girl is standing at the edge of the boat, and the webbed hand comes out of the water to grab her ankle, and just as it does, she moves away?"

"I got our drummer real good... The drummer was close to the edge of the dock with his back to the water, and during a break I recounted that scene...as though a webbed hand would come out of the water and grab his foot and pull him into the dark lake. He freaked! HAHAHA... "

"...even though he knew nothing like that would happen."

Don't be so sure about that, Tedster... !

Archived