Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

difference between 1x12 and 2x10 ??

jazzcaster

Can anyone elaborate on the difference between a 1x12 and a 2x10 speaker configuration in a combo amp? (sound wise, I mean). I'm looking at a Traynor YCV40, and it's offered in both configurations (all other aspects of the amps are equal). I notice that Peavey has a similar offering with their Delta Blues Series amps as well. I don't understand comments like "tighter bass end". What exactly does that mean? Volume between the two is not really an issue for me (both will be plenty loud for my needs).

I'm looking for some versatility in the amp to play jazz, blues, country and classic rock. No metal.

Any input would be much appreciated! :)

except for the notes and chords, playing guitar is easy!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

difference between 1x12 and 2x10 ??

8 inches. ;):D

Seriously, if I remember correctly (And I'm not an amp tech..)

A single, large speaker is more difficult for the amplifier to dampen (return to a resting state) after signal disappears. This results in the bass being less defined or focused. Using two, smaller speakers actually increases the total area of speaker cone vibrating the air in front of it, plus the damping factor is increased, resulting in better overall bass response that retains clarity and definition. This, of course, depends largely on the frequency response and character of the speakers in question. Also, the interaction between two (or four) speakers placed in close quarters with one another, especially in the same cabinet, will cause interactions that further color the sound. In theory, a 4 x 12" is a piss poor way to reproduce sound. In practice, the resulting character when amplifying a guitar amp signal is pleasing to a large number of musicians.

Frankly, the only way you'll have a good idea what the different speaker/enclosure combinations sound like will be to play through them.

Hope this helps. If anything I said is inaccurate, someone will let us know very shortly. ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Well, when I compared two otherwise identical tube combo amps, a 2x12 and a 4x10, I found (to my surprise) that the 2x12 had more hard-to-define swirl and shimmer and midrange complexity. The 4x10 seemed more "straight" sounding, clear and well defined but somehow lacking that shifting, swirling, shimmering character that the 2x12 model had.

The guy-in-the-store said that other customers had mentioned this, as well. Also, this was apparent in other examples of these models that I encountered.

(The two amps were the Fender Hot Rod DeVille 2x12 and 4x10 models.)

Perhaps the damping issues that you mention, Neil, have to do with this, as well? Waddya think?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

There are so many variables, once you compare two multi-driver cabs that it's hard to say how much is the damping factor and how much is acoustic interaction of the drivers.

I wonder where speaker simulator designers mic cabs to analyze the timbre each provides. Close mic'ing a speaker in a 2x vs. a 4x with the same size speaker eliminates much of the interaction. But that's not what you hear at your ear unless you put your head right on top of a speaker. ;)

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Excellent points for ponderification!

Perhaps it's in the acoustic interaction of the multiple cones and their being damped/not so damped?

How about those few combos that use a 10" and a 12" together?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

It's my belief, though I've never seen evidence confirming or denying it, that combos that use, say, a 10" and a 12" driver, such as Gibson's GA-30RVS, for the best of both worlds. (Punch or clarity and extended low end response.)

http://www.music-machine.net/Amps/GA30RV_bl_bottom.jpg

They claim exactly what I've been saying. More punch from the 10". More low end from the 12" I like it because I can choose the most compatible timbre, as a soundman, by listening to the mic in front of each speaker during sound check. ;)

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived