Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your First Concert?

BiC

Monsters of Rock (Pittsburgh,1988)

Van Halen

The Scorpions

Dokken

Metallica

Kingdom Come

That was probably one of the best days of my life! It took 10 years for me to see another concert that I enjoyed even half as much -- abd that was KISS on their reunion tour (with their original lineup).

Mike

Petting Hendrix

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head by an iron boot? Of course you don't--no one does--that never happens.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, 90125 tour, Market Square Arena, Indianapolis, IN. 1984? 1985? Hell, I don't know! Something like that, anyway. Excellent show.
**Standard Disclaimer** Ya gotta watch da Ouizel, as he often posts complete and utter BS. In this case however, He just might be right. Eagles may soar, but Ouizels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Well this may or may not surprise some folks, but when I was a wee chap, it was Johnny Cash and the Tennessee Two. I don't remember much from it, cause I was around 6, but I do remember he clickity clack of the Luther Perkins sound. I do a fair Luther my damn self. :)
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

"KISS at the Capitol Centre (outside Washington, D.C.) in 1977 (I think...).

The opening act was this relatively unknown Australian band.... AC- something.... "

I saw a show on this tour in Indianapolis. It was the first time I ever walked out of a show thinking "I'm better than those guys."

Angus has improved tremendously since...

Ace, I don't know...

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken...

Zeppelin at Chicago Stadium 4/6/77: The Song Remains the Same, The Rover (introduction) / Sick Again, Nobodys Fault But Mine, In My Time of Dying, Since Ive Been Loving You, No Quarter, Ten Years Gone, The Battle of Evermore, Going To California, Black Country Woman, Bron-Y-Aur Stomp, White Summer / Black Mountain Side, Kashmir, Out On the Tiles (introduction) / Moby Dick, guitar solo, Achilles Last Stand, Stairway To Heaven, Rock and Roll, and Trampled Underfoot. :thu::thu:

Originally posted by Dawill:

The opening act was this relatively unknown Australian band.... AC- something.... "

I saw a show on this tour in Indianapolis. It was the first time I ever walked out of a show thinking "I'm better than those guys."

Ace, I don't know...

;)

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

My first show was L.A. Guns opening for Def Leppard in Champaign,Illinois around 87 or '88. Not as cool as "Black Sabbath in 1978 at Madison Square Garden. I was tripping my face off. Opening up was this unknown band called Van Halen." :(:(
"I believe that if it were left to artists to choose their own labels, most would choose none." - Ben Shahn

I saw two concerts in the summer of 1974, not sure which was the first.

Triple bill at the San Francisco Cow Palace. Ten Years After, King Crimson, and the Strawbs.

Sugarloaf. I had forgotten the name of that group but I remember they had a big radio hit "Green Eyed Woman", and that's probably why I went.

Every day I go past the swimming pool in Victoria Park Sydney, and am reminded of the time way back in '74 that I saw another bunch of unknowns. The stage was on top of the entrance to the swimming pool.The band was called AC/DC and this was an historic occasion - it was the first time Angus wore his school uniform on stage. :D

I've seen alot of local and not so popular punk bands in my city but my first real concert was during the summer. I saw Weird Al and it was one of the coolest things I have ever seen. He puts on a great show.
"What's with these new bands, everyone knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact." -Homer Simpson

Originally posted by Dawill:

Ace, I don't know...

When I saw them in '74 I was in complete disbelief that Angus (who at that time looked as though he was about 14 years of age)was actually playing. It just didn't seem possible.No idea who they were - just this frantic kid in a schoolboy uniform going absolutely apeshit.It was the best guitar playing I'd ever heard. Apparently this was the first show he ever did wearing the uniform.I was there to see the other bands that were on - none of whom I can remember. I do recall thinking these guys were frauds - it may also have been the first time I'd seen use a transmitter used instead of a guitar lead, because the absence of a lead is what clinched it for me. Boy -I feel dumber than that record company guy who said the Beatles would never last!It was'nt until I saw a film of a concert they did in Paris, probably 'round '77, that I realised they were more than just a good Aussie pub band.

For my 16th birthday my mom dropped me and the bass player in my band and another friend from a different band off at a sports arena in Orlando, FL to see the Yardbirds. That would be in October of 1966. It was post Beck (only Page) but before the "Little Games" album came out. I had already idolized the Yardbirds for years and it was the high point of my high school years (sadly). Page played a pink paisley telecaster and dashed around the stage like a madman. A very good local band called the Tropics opened up and after the show my bass player friend said he thought the Tropics were better :eek: !!!

Later, though I think he saw the error of his ways :thu: .

Jamie

But never fear, you're safe with me... Well maybe. - Les

First concert was when I was 9 and was with my parents. It was New Orleans trumpeter Al Hirt in 1961.

First rock concert (no parents!) was the summer of 1968. It was SPIRIT featuring their new hit single "I Gotta Line On You." I was 16, and it was the first time I'd ever seen someone smoking a joint. I didn't try any until the next summer (yeah, baby!). :D

Technically, I guess my first "concert" was my parents taking me to see Beatlemania in the mid to late '70s in Salisbury, MD. They kicked ass. I later heard that Aldo Nova was the one playing John. Wonder if that was the truth...

My first actual "real band" concert was Shooting Star, Foghat and Blue Oyster Cult...all one concert. This must've been around '78 or '79? I think I started looking for an SG the next day. Buck Dharma was my hero that entire summer. :thu:

None more black.

I don't remember who the opening band was, I just remember everyone flipping them off and them getting kind of upset. I don't blame them.

EVH was way cool. Even with the wrist problem, he still wailed. I just remember thinking "I can't believe I'm only this far away from EVH!"

I saw them right around the same time on the 1984 tour at Madison Square Garden -- still one of the best shows I've ever seen. I believe Autograph was the opening act on that tour. Startlingly mediocre, at best.

Originally posted by Guitr777:

This was also my first concert, except it was in Pittsburgh, PA. Eddie had hurt his wrist at a previous gig (maybe the beer bottle?), so they had to cut their set short. I was front and center up against the barricade.

I don't remember who the opening band was, I just remember everyone flipping them off and them getting kind of upset. I don't blame them.

EVH was way cool. Even with the wrist problem, he still wailed. I just remember thinking "I can't believe I'm only this far away from EVH!"

According to-

http://www.van-halen.com/newsite/1984tour.html

They played Pittsburg on Mar 7, 1984. This was before I saw them. Opening band was Autograph.

But maybe this is why Eddie stopped playing and cussed out whoever threw the bottle? Maybe it's because his wrist was still bothering him?

I also remember the opening act getting booed off stage, and having stuff thrown at them. :D The opening band was The Velcros when I saw VH. I could have sworn it was Autograph, though.

Peace :thu:

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Originally posted by Paul Edwards:

The Beatles at Shea Stadium.. 1964.

Could barely hear a thing over the sound of screaming teenage girls (me too)!

After that it was Led Zep at The Filmore East 1969. My life had changed forever.

:eek: WOW! 2 of the most legendary rock shows of all time, and you were at both of them! Amazing...

I saw the Allman Brothers Band at a movie theatre in Huntington, NY during the late fall or summer of 1971, just around the time that the live album At Fillmore East was released. I had not yet heard the album, all I had heard was Duane's playing on Layla. What an amazing show! I went out and got all their albums in the next couple of days. Sadly, Duane Allman died only a few short months later.

I know that hardly anyone would consider Chicago to be a rock band anymore, but in 1972 they tore up Read Fieldhouse at Western Michigan U. in Kalamazoo. Terry Kath was one of my guitar heroes back then, and after he died Chicago was never the same.

The first concert I went to was James Taylor when I was around 9. My mom had taken my sis and I to the race track (my mom's cool! or she has a gambling problem :P ) where JT was playing when it started raining pretty hard. JT gave a rain check to ticket holders but decided to play anyway for free! We decided to go and I'm glad we did!

The stupid thing was, I was expecting James Brown and when JT took the stage I was like, hey, this guy's white! I didn't think I knew JT until he started singing his songs and I knew many of them. It's almost 30 years later and JT is still one of my main musical influences.

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

Chicago was a great band with great music. I was listening to the "Chicago" DVD-A today as a matter of fact, and it's an awesome remix, it sounds incredible thru 5.1 surround sound.

"25 or 6 to 4", "Make Me Smile", sounds incredible cranked up....................

That's what counts. :)

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

Archived