Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I just saw John Scofield

pauldil

At an IHOP in Winston-Salem N.C. I just got into town, I'm here for 2 weeks for work, and it was too early to check into my room. So I went accross the street to an IHOP to grab a bite. The guy sitting right across from me looked just like John Scofield. I kept looking over because I wasn't sure it was him, but I didn't want to bother him while he was eating to ask. Anyway, I wimped out and didn't say anything. I just checked into my room, plugged in my laptop (free broadband! :thu: ) and went to his web site. Yep, he played Winston-Salem last night. So not only did I not talk to him, but I missed his show by one night :( . I'm such a wimp sometimes!

Paul

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a chance that he may have been glad to have been allowed to eat in peace. Though he probably doesn't get mobbed as badly as Justin Timberlake and Teahead, he probably does often enough get quizzed at the absolutely wrong times.

Hey, Pat Boone gave me an "I'll kick yer butt, buddy!" kind of look in a Hotel hallway once, I think he thought that I was checking out his wife! He was looking all jet-lagged and unshaven (hmmn, sounds like me!) and tired and cranky. I didn't say a word, but it was damn hard not to laugh!

Maybe you can e-mail him (Sco', not Pat Boone!) via his 'site, and let him know about the IHOP sighting, and your regret at missing his show!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

In 1976 or 77 I saw Jack Bruce and band hurrying through the parking lot of a club in Long Island -- My Father's Place in Rosyln -- about twenty feet away and I called out to him "great show, man" or something equally lame. His head snapped to look at me and he very quickly said "thank you very much," snapped his head back straight ahead, and continued on to the van or cab or whatever they were piling into. He had that look of someone who thought he was about to be attacked and looked incredibly nervous and fearful.

Yes, that can be a tough one...at least for me. I've had similar situations where I've run into well-known musicians, and didn't want to bother them. I always kick myself for doing that after the fact. Do you give them recognition (politely and briefly) or leave them alone? That is the question. :confused:

I'm sure Scofield put on a great show. I saw him live last year, and he (and his band) were on fire.

'Sorry you missed your chance. On the other hand, he probably was able to enjoy his breakfast, to a greater extent.

Yeah, that IHOP is right across the street from my hotel, and its mocking me! :D Ill be seeing it for the next 2 weeks. I may never eat a pancake again. I mean, what are the chances that I wake up in Chicago, land in Winston-Salem a couple of hours later, and run into John Scofield.

A few years ago, Scofield gave a seminar at the Bloom School of Jazz in Chicago. I went to it and got to go up there and played with him, as did about 8 other guys. He amazes me. He has such a cool style, always surprising, and an amazing knowledge of the fretboard. I have no idea why I didnt just go up and at least say hello and how much I enjoy his art. I wasn't going to ask him for the secret chord or anything :D .

Paul

I had a funny run-in with someone less famous in my college days-I was hitching from my house to catch our spring break show, a guy picked me up and after chatting for a minute I asked his name.

"Elliot Lloyd."

I looked at him.

"little Elliot Lloyd?" I said.

He was headlining the show.

I guess he was happy I recognized him. He gave me a ride to the school and walked me upstairs to the band area. I saw the show from where the band was hanging out, got free beer and catered food for the day.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

I opened up for Sco a couple of years ago. He had just done his sound check. I was plugging in my guitar getting ready for ours and was playing. There he was standing right in front of me, looking right at me, just staring in a friendly way. I think I said SOMETHING - maybe like, "Hey man!", but not much. I kind of regret not engaging him in more conversation, but we were rushing through a sound check. And as lame as it sounds I couldn't hang through his entire set. I love his playing and writing for the most part. But his acid jazz groove DJ/sample thing bores me more than not. So with all my gear packed up in the van in back, I came back and listened for about 45 and left.

I figured I'll see him some other time.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Here's what I think: Sure, you missed an opportunity to see him live. But it's breakfast time, and I don't think just because you're kicking yourself in the ass for not seeing his show the previous day, does it give you the right to bug him while he's getting his grub.

The guy needed to eat, and so did you. I would consider it rude if I were in his shoes, and was eating my meal. Email the guy and see if you can meet up. That would be a better way to go, rather than unknowingly make the guy puke in his pants. :D

I live in Nashville where it is relatively commonplace to run into famous musicians. I've had my fare share of these encounters and have always made a point to not bother them (with the exception of Gordon Stoker of the Jordanaires who owned a building I worked in and stopped by regularly. I never asked him for any Elvis stories though. :D ).

The only one I regret not hounding for an autograph is Chet Atkins. I sat at a table right next to his at lunch one day. He was carrying on a conversation with whoever he was sitting with and I couldn't bring myself to interupt. :mad:

I just didn't want to be rude. The thing is I had a perfect excuse to talk to him since I've played a Chet Atkins Tennessean since 1981. Oh well! :rolleyes:

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Having at various times met some of my heroes & gotten reactions vrying from (apparently) sincere appreciation to "uh, yeah" (as they scan the room for exits), I suggest the following:

They already know that lots of people like their work; if they don't know who you are, they probably won't care that you/I are delighted to tell them so.

Not to suggest that celebrity breeds contempt but they're busier than most of us & probably guard their downtime, especially at meals, etc.

I would refrain from trying to get their attention but if eye-contact is made, smile & give 'em a low-key :thu: or something to show that you recognize them & dig their work but let them indicate that they might be open to speaking, if they desire, before interrupting them.

Originally posted by Dr. Taz:

Here's what I think: Sure, you missed an opportunity to see him live. But it's breakfast time, and I don't think just because you're kicking yourself in the ass for not seeing his show the previous day, does it give you the right to bug him while he's getting his grub.

The thing is, I didn't know he had played in town till after I saw him at the restaurant, when I went to my hotel and saw his tour schedule on his site.

Paul

Originally posted by skipclone 1:

I had a funny run-in with someone less famous in my college days-I was hitching from my house to catch our spring break show, a guy picked me up and after chatting for a minute I asked his name.

"Elliot Lloyd."

I looked at him.

"little Elliot Lloyd?" I said.

He was headlining the show.

I guess he was happy I recognized him. He gave me a ride to the school and walked me upstairs to the band area. I saw the show from where the band was hanging out, got free beer and catered food for the day.

SUNY New Paltz, right? I played with Lloyd for years, along with Ian Bennett, several drummers, and the late Brad Sexton on bass. Nobody bothered to call me when Lloyd passed away, so I missed the memorial BBQ. A guy who deserved a few more breaks than he got.

Archived