Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which 8-track home studio is best ($1000 or less)

RevRudy

I'm about to buy a home studo for recording myself, my daughter, and our respective bands. From what I can see, the Yamaha AW16G, Boss BR-1180CD, and the Fostex VF160 all can record 8 tracks at once, all contain a 20GB internal hard drive, and all can burn CDs. I can get any of them for $900 to $1000 through Musician's Friend.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with any of these? Are there any real differences between them? Any good or bad experiences?

I'm kind of leaning towards the Boss, since it seems to be the only one that includes on-board rhythm tracks, but I'm hoping someone can offer me some guidance since I'm a real newbie at this home studio stuff.

Jeff (Reverend Rudy)

Fat Frank & the Plank Spankiers

Winter :evil: Haven, FL

RevRudy@aol.com

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a boss BR 1180cd, and am well pleased. But note, you can only record two tracks at a time at any one pass. Each track has 8 "virtual" tracks where you can put multiple takes of guitar solos, for example, and cut and paste the best pieces onto another track to make a single best take. There are an infinite number of ways to use the virtual tracks to your best advantage.

When it comes time to mix down, you can mix 8 tracks simultaneous to the master, as well as any sequenced tracks from a midi device. There is midi time code sync cabability.

It has the Roland COSM modeling for reasonable sounds. I also bought the Roland DS-50 speakers to go with the unit, and a Behringer large diaphragm condenser mic. I nearly bought a RODE, but couldn't justify the $$ when all I want to do is record my little songs.

I have no regrets choosing the BR 1180 CD. Twenty years ago you'd spend as much on a Fostex X-15 four track cassette.

My $0.02

Paul

Peace,

Paul

----------------------

Thanks! It's hard to tell from the ads and other literature available exactly what each machine does. -- Rudy

Originally posted by rockincyanblues:

I have a boss BR 1180cd, and am well pleased. But note, you can only record two tracks at a time at any one pass. Each track has 8 "virtual" tracks where you can put multiple takes of guitar solos, for example, and cut and paste the best pieces onto another track to make a single best take. There are an infinite number of ways to use the virtual tracks to your best advantage.

When it comes time to mix down, you can mix 8 tracks simultaneous to the master, as well as any sequenced tracks from a midi device. There is midi time code sync cabability.

It has the Roland COSM modeling for reasonable sounds. I also bought the Roland DS-50 speakers to go with the unit, and a Behringer large diaphragm condenser mic. I nearly bought a RODE, but couldn't justify the $$ when all I want to do is record my little songs.

I have no regrets choosing the BR 1180 CD. Twenty years ago you'd spend as much on a Fostex X-15 four track cassette.

My $0.02

Paul

Archived