Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Live versus Studio

aj2003

Anyone have any thoughts on this: If live music sounds better than studio stuff, why isn't everything done live? What I mean is this, Dire Straits live album, for example is mind boggling. Knoppfler plays like a crazy man, the music is super intense and "better" in my opinion that the regularily recorded stuff.

I also remember hearing this blues guitarist years ago, whose name I've forgotten (and other guitarists) and their live stuff is amazing, yet when I've heard some of their studio stuff I either think "take it or leave it", or, "they aren't that great". Then you hear them live and are blown away. Doesn't it make sense to put your best chops permanent instead of saving them for the live show?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A live audience generates more and better energy than could ever exist in a studio so live performances tend to be much more "electrified" than studio performances. I know I'm a far better player when there's a good crowd in front of me. Sometimes I do things that I never thought I was capable of. However, it's difficult to get really good sound from a live performance compared to a studio. It's also single-take so if the performer screws up, they can't go back and easily fix it. Some people seem to like the controlled feel of studio performances better too. Me? I much prefer live recordings.

Live music is all about atmosphere. It's so immediate mistakes can't be mulled over a desected (by both the audience and the player)

Live recording are another thing, sometimes the energy is caught, sometimes not. In a studio the magic can be caught...only it take longer, more takes etc.

Personally I prefer playing to a crowd. Studio engineers are very jaded people :D

Cup

Archived