Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FENDER SHOWMAN

Pretzel logic

I have a Fender Showman that is solid state.It's a 1x15,two channel,200w amp.this thing is loaded.It has a master volume on each channel,programmable efx loop,reverb and EQ.It also has push pull;brite,deep and double mids.Legend has it that Paul Rivera was the desiner when he worked for fender.Everything is controld with a huge foot switch that lites up.can anyone tell me when it came out and if Rivera really disgned it. :confused:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not Rivera and neither are the "red knobs".

Paul Rivera develped the "II" series of the early 80s. The Twin Reverb II, Champ II, Concert, Deluxe Reverb II, and Princeton II.

He left Fender before the "red knobs" were developed. All the "II" series amps are hand-wired and all-tube. The red knobs use PCB circuitry (Not bad amps though. I love my red knob Champ 12).

Sounds like a cool amp though.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

• 7 years later...

Well, not "technically" Rivera, but often referred to as "Rivera Era"...

Rivera was involved in Fender amp design 1981-1985. The TUBE amps he worked on were the Super Champ, Champ II, Princeton Reverb II, Deluxe Reverb II, Twin Reverb II and the Concert (confusingly with no "II", although it's obviously the same species, although apparently Bill Hughes had a hand in it--maybe that's the reason). That's it. The Rivera-era solid state amps were designed by Bill Hughes (ex-Ampeg) and Bob Haigler (long-timer who worked on the Zodiac series of Fender SS amps)...

...the less I open my mouth, the less trouble I get in-

and I'm already in trouble! lol

Hahhaahh! I could learn from your example... ;):D

Welcome to the GPF, gawfshot. :cool:

One wonders if this might not be read for a couple of years...

Time warp all over again?

Or, if he had read it long before I had typed it... ! :D

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

You'll be there tomorrow if you leave yesterday... :D

As they used to say when giving directions in Maine, "You can't guitar from here".

:laugh:

Now that we have you as a returning poster, gawfshot, I wonder if you'd tell us what led you to that thread and comment as your first post.

:wave:

• 4 months later...
I bought a 2x12 version of the same amp... Searches for info on it lead me to this thread (among others) and I posted with the hope of helping someone else with an interest in the obscure history/details...

Good info, good lookin' out, and welcome again, gawfshot. :cool: Forgive us for having some fun- and I assure you, none of it was meant at your expense.

How do you like the 2x12 that you bought? Do you still have it? Is it a 2x12 Showman? Combo, or head and cab? Or is it a similar model based on the same SS amplifier circuit and chassis that bears a different model name?

Have you ever seen any of the Zodiac series in real life? I have a vague memory of seeing a Taurus that needed repairs and wasn't in working order at the time; other than that, I've never heard or plugged into one.

Can't go wrong with a Fender tube amp...my favorite was my 2x12 Twin Reverb, I still have an American made 4x10 Hot Rod DeVille and still get some great sounds out of it...sorry I can't help with the history stuff...if anything I would like a lighter version of the DeVille 50lbs (Twin Reverb 60lbs, Hot Rod Deluxe 45lbs)...really don't need 60watts as 30 would do just as well...any suggestions on a 30watt Fender with reverb that weighs in around 35lbs?
Take care, Larryz

Can't go wrong with a Fender tube amp...my favorite was my 2x12 Twin Reverb, I still have an American made 4x10 Hot Rod DeVille and still get some great sounds out of it...sorry I can't help with the history stuff...if anything I would like a lighter version of the DeVille 50lbs (Twin Reverb 60lbs, Hot Rod Deluxe 45lbs)...really don't need 60watts as 30 would do just as well...any suggestions on a 30watt Fender with reverb that weighs in around 35lbs?

Deluxe Reverb, although I've heard less than good things about the re-issue version. Mine is an early 70s silver face Deluxe. 27 watts, single 12", it's louder than hell. I've never turned it up past 1 when playing at home.

Scott Fraser

Deluxe Reverb, although I've heard less than good things about the re-issue version. Mine is an early 70s silver face Deluxe. 27 watts, single 12", it's louder than hell. I've never turned it up past 1 when playing at home.

Thanks Scott, somehow I knew this was going to be the right answer, so I'll keep an eye out for an older Deluxe and find out what they weigh... :thu:

Take care, Larryz

Thanks Scott, somehow I knew this was going to be the right answer, so I'll keep an eye out for an older Deluxe and find out what they weigh... :thu:

If weight is a major consideration: if you like the sound of 'em, there are various neodymium-magnet speakers on the market- Celestion, Weber, and Jensen, among others, make some- that will shave some considerable weight off of combos and cabs. For example, I'd bet that a Celestion G12 Century Vintage neo-magneted speaker would go well with a Deluxe Reverb- and it only weighs 3.7 pounds!

A good hand-truck will make lugging an amp much easier, as well... :thu:

I have a little hand-truck that I pack my Hot Rod DeVille around with...If I can get the amp weight down to 35lbs, I can handle packing the amp around pretty easy without the hand-truck...some of those old US made Deluxe Reverbs can be pretty expensive, but I'm going to start the hunt soon... :D
Take care, Larryz

Archived