Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

BEST Low-End Distortion Pedal?

BiC

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Mudcat:

"Low-end" meaning low-frequency or "Low-end" meaning low-price? :confused:

Low-end meaning frequency.

I want something with MUCH bass, and MUCH growling chunk.

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Originally posted by revolead:

I have a Boss Metal Zone which works great for that, but I've heard great things about Radial Tonebone Hot British Distortion. Its a tube-based pedal.

As of now, I am leaning toward the Boss MZ. From what I read on the reviews, it really kicks!

I will look into the Brit pedal.

Thanx!

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Ditto on the Boss Metal Zone. The low-end response is just stupid. I have an older Boss HM-2 Heavy Metal pedal and I'm amazed at how much low-freq information makes it through the speakers when using that thing. You can pick 'em up for next to nothing on ebay...
None more black.

It might help if you described the sound your going for. The MZ delivers more of a low-ended pumch with enough gain to shame Rectos and modded JCMs, but it does lack tonal precision. I suggest getting an EQ pedal and sticking after the MZ. The low-end crunch is ridiculous, and it sounds much more like an amp, instead of a high-gain transistor pedal.
Shut up and play.

It might help if you described the sound your going for. The MZ delivers more of a low-ended pumch with enough gain to shame Rectos and modded JCMs, but it does lack tonal precision. I suggest getting an EQ pedal and sticking after the MZ. The low-end crunch is ridiculous, and it sounds much more like an amp, instead of a high-gain transistor pedal.

I don't want to sound cliche, but the sound I am after is EARLY Pantera (Cowboys)/Metallica (Lightning & Puppets) mixed with todays LOW END CHUNK.

BTW, I do plan on purchasing the Boss IQ to compliment the MZ if that's the route I take.

Peace

Originally posted by BiC:

I don't want to sound cliche, but the sound I am after is EARLY Pantera (Cowboys)/Metallica (Lightning & Puppets) mixed with todays LOW END CHUNK.

BTW, I do plan on purchasing the Boss IQ to compliment the MZ if that's the route I take.

Peace

All good choices. I should say that will come close, but if you're going early Metallica, you'll defintely want the mid-scoop with the EQ pedal. Great setup.
Shut up and play.

Another vote for the Metal Zone! ;)

I use mine with a TubeScreamer set for a volume boost, so I'm only adding some semi-clean gain for some serious death metal tone. I have no problem scooping the mids with just the MZ alone. The midrange there is a parametric one, so you can pinpoint the mid frequency you want to scoop or boost. Nothing wrong with using a separate EQ, though.

Archived