Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

This guy is the fastest shredder ever!!!!

archibald3

Actually I have to disagree. I just picked up a Secure-Shred from Best Buy and it by far is the fastest shredder I've seen. The strips are so thin you won't be able to read them and the paper just flies through it....

Oh, guitartist....two words, or one word...

Buckethead...if your going to play stupidly fast you might as well have a chicken bucket on your head, but for real the guy is the fastest I've seen play live, you break out laughing because it's so insanely fast.

overheard street personality on Venice Beach "Man, that Bullshit is Bulllshhittt...."

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Why do they have to play so fast all the time? They have no emotion in their playing!" Bullshit, I say. What if the emotion they're trying to convey is one of frenetic energy, panic, anxiety, or fear? They all are valid emotions, as are the blues, so please don't dismiss them as anything but valid. You can't play a Clapton-esque blues lick over a Slayer riff, and vice versa. Both convey a specific emotion (or set of emotions), neither more valid than the other.

Charlie Parker, Paganini, Jaco -- yeah, so it's okay to shred on other instruments/other styles under the guise of jazz/classical/other? They all shred -- are you going to accuse them of playing without taste and emotion? Probably not, because it would be absurd to do so.

Funny how people that have no chops (present company excluded) are always the first ones to bash someone with great chops. As Steve Morse once said, "If you COULD play fast, you WOULD!"

Dream Theater is a good example for this discussion.

The drummer, bassist, keyboardist and guitarist are all virtuoso's. (by most standards)

They have written some of the most emotional, melodic beautiful music I have ever heard.

They have also indulged themselves in many incredible, but useless wank-fests. :bor:

What it all comes down to is the music.

I respect people who have dedicated themselves to be great at what they do. But, I would define guitar playing purely for sport as:

Full of sound and fury.

Signifying nothing.

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

I can see what your getting at Khan. I love Dream Theater, and I agree sometimes wankfests do develop, but I think listening to progressive rock and metal requires patience. I guess I've just developed the patience for a wankfest.
Shut up and play.

On the other topic, In thought his playing was cool, but then again I like Malmsteen some.

I think the debate of fast playing is long over. Everyone has conceeded that its better to have originality and emotion so why wearout the subject? I think its great to have these spawned topics, but sometimes they get ridiculous. The point here was he liked Rusty Cooley's playing and was excited about it. If he wanted everyone to disparage his musical taste I think a better thread title would have been: "HELP: Asshole listening to shred needs redirection."

Shut up and play.

Originally posted by revolead:

The point here was he liked Rusty Cooley's playing and was excited about it. If he wanted everyone to disparage his musical taste I think a better thread title would have been: "HELP: Asshole listening to shred needs redirection."

Actually, his point was:

Originally posted by archibald3:

Its almost absurd but you have to see this ! Arch

Originally posted by Cereal:

Originally posted by Jedro:

Are guitar players the only ones to focus on speed? I never heard a harmonica player talk about wanting to play faster.

cuz most harmonica players suck
So do most guitarists. :D

Originally posted by KHAN:

The point here was he liked Rusty Cooley's playing and was excited about it. If he wanted everyone to disparage his musical taste I think a better thread title would have been: "HELP: Asshole listening to shred needs redirection."

Actually, his point was:

Thanks for saving me from pointing this out khan!I just saw this guys column in the new guitar player so i went and checked him out on the web and it made me howl so i thought i`d share it with my fellow guitar players.If you check out my music[see website below] you`ll hear what i`m doing guitar wise and i`m afraid to say its a pretty far cry from what Rusty`s doing.! Lol... Arch

Originally posted by Cereal:

Originally posted by Jedro:

Are guitar players the only ones to focus on speed? I never heard a harmonica player talk about wanting to play faster.

cuz most harmonica players suck
And blow .

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Originally posted by KHAN:

Actually, his point was:

Thanks for saving me from pointing this out khan!I just saw this guys column in the new guitar player so i went and checked him out on the web and it made me howl so i thought i`d share it with my fellow guitar players.If you check out my music[see website below] you`ll hear what i`m doing guitar wise and i`m afraid to say its a pretty far cry from what Rusty`s doing.! Lol... Arch
Sorry dude, tought you were trying to share the artists abilities, that's what it looked liek to me anyway. I thought he was pretty cool. I just get sick of everyone who has to bash everyone else's guitar heroes. It happens all too often around here.
Shut up and play.

http://www.rustycooley.com/ Its almost absurd but you have to see this ! Arch

Went to colleo's web site,hated it.Seen it before Rusty 'BucketHead' Cooleo with a pinch of who gives a shit.You can tell this guy never had a life or a job! Should change his name to I'm so cool-ly.Fucking wanker!
The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

On the other topic, In thought his playing was cool, but then again I like Malmsteen some.

I think the debate of fast playing is long over. Everyone has conceeded that its better to have originality and emotion so why wearout the subject? I think its great to have these spawned topics, but sometimes they get ridiculous. The point here was he liked Rusty Cooley's playing and was excited about it. If he wanted everyone to disparage his musical taste I think a better thread title would have been: "HELP: Asshole listening to shred needs redirection."

:thu: Classic!
The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

I wrote about this earlier on this thread. It just makes no sense the hostility towards "shredders". I love the fact that the boundaries are being pushed. I don't particularly like the music or the aesthetic but I can appreciate it on a technical/chops level.

Long ago I stopped critizing those things I can't do. It just sounds too "critical" and full of sour grapes. Doesn't reflect well on the one criticizing.

I love chops. I'd love to hear them played appropriately, regardless what kind of chops; whether it's Ry Cooder, Hendrix, Holdsworth, Wah-Wah Watson, whoever. Anything that walks a path not often trod gets a heads up from me.

Coltrane never had a life either. All he did was practice and he left a legacy, a sacrifice, for me to listen to and learn from for the rest of my life. For this sacrifice I'm grateful. I get to look into a possible future of what is and can be possible with an instrument and music.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Originally posted by henryrobinett:

I wrote about this earlier on this thread. It just makes no sense the hostility towards "shredders". I love the fact that the boundaries are being pushed. I don't particularly like the music or the aesthetic but I can appreciate it on a technical/chops level.

Long ago I stopped critizing those things I can't do. It just sounds too "critical" and full of sour grapes. Doesn't reflect well on the one criticizing.

I love chops. I'd love to hear them played appropriately, regardless what kind of chops; whether it's Ry Cooder, Hendrix, Holdsworth, Wah-Wah Watson, whoever. Anything that walks a path not often trod gets a heads up from me.

Coltrane never had a life either. All he did was practice and he left a legacy, a sacrifice, for me to listen to and learn from for the rest of my life. For this sacrifice I'm grateful. I get to look into a possible future of what is and can be possible with an instrument and music.[/QUO :bor: Stop your starting to shred with your lips,and I'm starting get sick.

Archived