Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

This guy is the fastest shredder ever!!!!

archibald3

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yep, he is fast. but its sort of like Yngwie, it gets bland after awhile. i am not knocking Rusty. but i guess after living through the shred era it doesn't interest me as much. you gotta give him credit for playing what he wants to though. i did find the lesson part of his site to be cool. nice website. :D maybe i am getting too old?

He is fast. The problem I have though is that if you put him in the room with all the best shredders in the world, I couldn't tell them apart. I know when I hear Jeff Beck, Roy Buchanan, Danny Gatton, etc. that it's them playing. With this guy, he's got great technique, but I think what really defines an original player is the feeling they put into it, because everyone has their own emotions. This guy's technique is good but the style is not original either.
"I look for whatever will cut the deepest... whammy bars and wah wah pedals can't be used as just gimmicks. They have to reflect and express your feelings." - Jeff Beck

He is fast. The problem I have though is that if you put him in the room with all the best shredders in the world, I couldn't tell them apart. I know when I hear Jeff Beck, Roy Buchanan, Danny Gatton, etc. that it's them playing. With this guy, he's got great technique, but I think what really defines an original player is the feeling they put into it, because everyone has their own emotions. This guy's technique is good but the style is not original either.

Exactly what I was thinking.
"What's with these new bands, everyone knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact." -Homer Simpson

I remember the first time I heard something from Al DiMeola. At the time, I had NEVER heard someone play with such speed and precision.

The first time I heard Alvin Lee's "I'm going home"... I was dazzled...

Same with the first EVH, Yngwie, Vai, Morse, EJ, all the "shrapnel" guys...

I'd agree with the "impressive for a few minutes... can you keep my interest for a whole cd or even a whole song."

Some players absolutely can blend high speed with melody and songwriting. But speed alone does not a great guitarist make... imho!

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Agreed. But I'm also intrigued by blistering technique -- only when it's tempered with taste. Most of the metal shredders don't interest me though. But I LOVE the fact that people are stretching the boundaries. I think it's sad that people dismiss, out of hand, "shredders". These guys are doing something that's never been done on the instrument before. Certainly not hurting anyone, except fragile egos.

It's as if you have a musical planet full of slackers who get upset when you remind them, only by slight implication, that they're slackers. And this is only "implied" because you're being really, really exceptionally good at something.

Now don't get me wrong. Most of the "shred" artists I think are lacking in fundemental TASTE. So basically I'm in agreement here, I think. I think great art, for me has to have a balance between technique, aesthetics and emotion. Shredders tend to put all of their concentrated effort into technique and little left over attention towards aesthetics or even emotion. This is what drove me crazy about DiMeola. And even his technique was technique defined only by dexterity. To me technique encompasses musical sophistication, theory, knowledge. Hmmph! :D

All the best,

Henry Robinett

I agree-i had to post this for a laugh though because it is compelling to watch for a minute or 2.What i find ,aside from the afore mentioned problems,with shredders is that they all have this kind of annoying tone.There isn`t the wide variety and creativity you find elsewhere-i suppose they have to have mega distortion which doesn`t help.I always appreciated Gary Moore in his shred days because he had a nice ,thick singing,somewhat organic tone. Arch

The fastest shredder ever! Until the next guy.

I like what Todd Rundgren had to say about guitar heroes (Todd's no shredder, but he is a pretty decent guitarist)...that it didn't make sense to pursue that, because it was like the Old West with gunfighters. Someone's the fastest, until the next one comes along.

Until then, it's entertaining, and jaw dropping. I'm glad there are people who can perform aerial gymnastics on a fretboard. I'm not one of them. And I'm comfy with that.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

It surely takes a lot of practice to get speed. And then you hit a wall at some point. I read that over in England they had a contest or something where they counted drummers strokes. I believe they claimed Cozy Powell as the all time fastest drummer. Anybody ever hear that or know the details?

It would be cool to get a guitar thing going like that. Picked notes/sec. Give out Gold/silver /bronze picks! The speed thing as mentioned in other posts will always be topped. Kinda like those 100m sprinters.

I think that sounds kinda nuts. Music is not a sport and I think contests like this reduce it to trying to quantify art into best, better than, worse than. We already have to many misunderstanings like this going on.

BTW it was a friend of mine Johnny Rabb who had that distinction as the fastest drummer. I was really surprised. Nobody had actually heard him play, yet he was a hero because he could do a single stroke roll faster than anyone alive, I guess until this other guy beat him. I sure hope we don't get anything like this for guitar shredders.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Originally posted by archibald3:

http://www.rustycooley.com/ Its almost absurd but you have to see this ! Arch

Did you check out his Revolution MP3's from his early days? I liked that stuff. Those were actually some decent songs. If the pieces from his solo debut actually have some musicality to them, then all the shredding within won't be wasted.

Just my ramble.

Originally posted by Jedro:

Are guitar players the only ones to focus on speed? I never heard a harmonica player talk about wanting to play faster.

Really??? What about BLUES TRAVELER....???? He reminds me of EVH on a harmonica! I don't think it is either good or bad to shred. Everyone has their own musical tastes just like everyone has their own opinions on guitars! I try to just be happy with what I can do. I also try to appreciate the talent that others have and learn as much as I can from them.

No one else calls it "shredding", but every instrument has it's speed demons. Pianists have their Cecil Taylors, Rubacalbas, Coreas, Saxophonists Coltranes, Breckers, drummers, as has already been noted, bass players Patittucci, Clarke, Whooten, Billy Sheehan, . . . It goes on.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Originally posted by webe123:

Are guitar players the only ones to focus on speed? I never heard a harmonica player talk about wanting to play faster.

Really??? What about BLUES TRAVELER....???? He reminds me of EVH on a harmonica! I don't think it is either good or bad to shred. Everyone has their own musical tastes just like everyone has their own opinions on guitars! I try to just be happy with what I can do. I also try to appreciate the talent that others have and learn as much as I can from them.
Good call on that one, but I can name dozens of blistering guitar players for every John Popper. Maybe that's due to the nature of the harmonica. I don't know, but when I listen to other instruments, the ability to play fast isn't something I care about.
Everybody knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact. - Homer Simpson

I don't know, but when I listen to other instruments, the ability to play fast isn't something I care about.

Well I already mentioned many other demons from several other instruments. But one reason you don't care about it is that most other people use taste in their playing and only use speed when appropriate. With most guitar shredders speed itself is an end, which is stupid and why so many other musicians are so put off by doing something for the single reason of showing off. If OTOH you had a truly visionary player, who played beautifully, with great expression, who only flew into great depths of speed very occassionally and only WHEN APPROPRIATE TO THE MUSIC AT HAND you'd have an end to the gnarling detractors. Well some of them anyway.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

The whole speed thing strikes me in a similar way as `poetry slams`. I haven`t been to one but I`ve written some poetry myself, read it in public too. To me that kind of event has little to do with poetry as I know it. It`s more somewhere between that and a capella lyrics-and I have no use for putdowns, even inventive ones. But it may get people interested in reading-and writing-good literature. The speed thing may not have a lot to offer in an overall sense, but if people are interested in great technique, some of them may stay with it and find out how much more music has to offer.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Guitar playing has long been compared as a sport...by those that just do not get it. Gene Simmons once said. "You don't play guitar with your fingers or even your brain, you play with your dick." Hmmm. Yes! How many women are impressed with how fast you are in the sack! It is all about creating emotion and feeling. Listening to some of these "sport shredders" is like watching a movie in fast forward.
Yum, Yum! Eat em up!

To me, fast playing died after John McLaughlin did it best......or Frank Marino......after that it was almost girly to me. But I'm older....and was around when James Burton made me want to play guitar. :)
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Originally posted by Tedster:

I'm glad there are people who can perform aerial gymnastics on a fretboard. I'm not one of them.

Sure you can, Ted.

But you simply choose not to...

;):D

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Although I've been away from the guitar scene for nearly 8 years, even I know that "shred is dead"

It all sounds the same to me.

Sorry.

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Archived