Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Killing onstage volume with tube amps

Lee Flier

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

Originally posted by coyote:

This is why a full stack, even though it looks monstrous and is difficult to move, is so important. The speakers on the floor help immensely in rounding out your tone. But if that's all you have, they are firing at your butt instead of your ears. With a full band, your sound naturally seems to get 'lost'.

Yeah, but the house is still getting blasted, because you really do have to turn up a big tube amp quite a bit in order to get any tone.
I think that depends on the amp. I've used my dual rectifier at a lot of different gigs over the past 8 years or so and I can always get a good tone at any volume by using the master volume. I've also found that by getting the speakers at ear level has helped me keep my stage volume under control.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Lee Flier:

However, "loud enough to get a decent tone" is often still really loud in the house. I have to turn my Pro up to about 5 to get a good tone and that's already pushing 115 dB in the sweet spot. I do use a volume pedal, which helps a lot, but still. It's just too loud for a lotta places.

This may sound really simplistic, but have you tried some lower rated power tubes? A Groove Tubes 6L6S with a 3 or 4 rating might just give you the grind at a lower volume level. Just a thought, ask Myles to be sure.

Hi Caevan,

You're absolutely right in the sense that my use of matching was only meant as a loose term. The OT must match the plate impedance of the power tubes which are semi-dictated by the power transformer (only in so much as it can supply the proper voltage and current to them).

I apologize though. I didn't mean to imply that you were incorrect about swapping the OT. Just that more simple and effective remedies exist. I'm sure you too have seen the consequences of guys doing mods to their amps with only the tiniest bit of info from the net. I should have been more clear. Thanks and sorry.

Murf

Originally posted by murfbass:

"Hi Caevan,

You're absolutely right in the sense that my use of matching was only meant as a loose term. The OT must match the plate impedance of the power tubes which are semi-dictated by the power transformer (only in so much as it can supply the proper voltage and current to them)."

"I apologize though. I didn't mean to imply that you were incorrect about swapping the OT. Just that more simple and effective remedies exist. I'm sure you too have seen the consequences of guys doing mods to their amps with only the tiniest bit of info from the net. I should have been more clear. Thanks and sorry."

-Murf

Oh, man, Murf, yer killin' me, I feel like a heel now for being so blunt and know-it-all-@$$holeish in that post!

You've got nothin' to be sorry for, I just get too wound up sometimes, I've been working on taming that down, but even a little misdirected snottiness is something we need less of in this world. (It's just as bad, and rampant, as misinformation on the 'net.) So I say to you, I'm sorry!

And, Lee, I opologize for swerving your excellent thread off course a bit here. Hope that the Airbrake does ya fine!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Thought I'd drag this back to the top, as an idea struck me...

Our friend Teahead, recently much more active on these 'boards again, uses and absolutely loves those Yellow Jacket adapter/replacement tubes that plug right into the octal output-tube sockets where your 6L6's plug in on your Pro Reverb. They simultaneously switch you to EL84 output-tubes, and class A, cathode-biased operation.

Absolutely NO modification, or even adjustment- not even bias adjustment- is required, at all!

Once again, these are an item that Myles recommended. Teahead has assured me that I should get a set.

Oh, and Teahead uses his in a Fender, in conjunction with an attenuator, as well!

I don't know the going price for a pair of these, but if I find a figure I'll post back or edit it into this one.

And, Lee, let us know how the Air Brake works out for you! Bestaluck!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I've been using a Carr Rambler (28 watts) for clubs, and it's small enough that I can get the tone that I want without playing at ear-popping volumes. If need be, it can fill a small club, but because of the small size of it, sound people are inclined to just go ahead and mic it most of the time.

Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows:

I've been using a Carr Rambler (28 watts) for clubs, and it's small enough that I can get the tone that I want without playing at ear-popping volumes. If need be, it can fill a small club, but because of the small size of it, sound people are inclined to just go ahead and mic it most of the time.

Killer amp, easy to transport too.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Archived